Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

That's a lot of questions! I can't believe the manual is so bad that you cannot get these things answered by reading the manual or getting some assistance from your dealer on basic operation. I will be surprised if anyone here will have the time and inclination to walk you through all these things right here on JWSOUND. I would love to be proven wrong, maybe people are more generous and patient with these things than I know.

You seem to be a little confused about attenuation, MARF and your deliverable, if you think you are turning in tracks that are too low in level, change the attenuation. 

Maybe someone will come to your aid, I don't know, but as I said, it's a really big list!

Edited by Jeff Wexler

You've just uncovered the problem with having a record amount of flexibility.  Along with that flexibility is needed the time and patience to learn the variations and options. 

It's natural to want to be able to do everything possible from the start, but (pardon me here) with power comes responsibility, and part of that responsibility is to allow oneself the time to learn the permutations. 

The answer is "yes" to many of your questions, but before you're ready for them, you need to first do your part by allowing some time to acclimate to such a flexible device.  Concentrate on what you can make it do now, and soon much more capability will reveal itself.  Beyond that are 1) the manual, 2) the JWS archives, 3) the Zaxcom forum, and 4) Users here answering questions, which we're glad to do -- especially for someone who does their part first.

Congratulations on your purchase!

I agree Jeff, but I feel some sympathy, as I remember my own first days with the Nomad.

However w4vs, your best bet is to use the Nomad as much as you can (since you obviously haven't poked around in all the menus yet), read this thread (from newest to oldest, probably, as the firmware has changed since it began), and read the Nomad area on the Zaxcom forum.  There is an updated manual on the forum as well although I haven't used it myself.  Once you are aligned with the Nomad's methods and quirks you will most likely be hooked.  It's the best Swiss Army audio tool I own.

1. Your biggest concern is silly.  You don't have to mirror every track, if you don't want to share your attenuated isos.  Either that or post will have to raise your iso levels by a bit.  Don't worry about this.

2. You can record an output mix.  Hit "bus" again in the card tracks menu to select outputs to record.

3. You cannot currently reverse the headphone outputs.

4. You can name your files by scene and take.

5. No, the Nomad does not mount as a drive.

6. It's called "AutoChange", and it's in the Mode menu.

7. The Nomad 8 is an outdated model which, like the 12, had an extra Linux board installed which handles the USB output. The 10 and the Lite do not have this board.  Updates are possible.

8. Manuals are not Zaxcom's strong suit, but their forums and tech support are good.  Glenn himself would probably walk you through all of this if you called him.

9. Introduction of the FP8 complicated that feature.  See the Zaxcom board for firmware that allows you to do it.

10. Haven't had this issue, doesn't sound like it mattered, won't comment.

11. This makes me think you might need to read more about sound in general, but I might be wrong.  Anyway, input compressors work on the inputs, card compressors work on the recorded tracks.  If you can't imagine gain staging that would make this appropriate then this question is beyond the scope of my attention now.

12. No.

13. Yes. http://ambient.de/en/product/ant-2-4-sma-m90/

14. I use a Kortwich modified Nomad bag.  I love it.

15. OK, so this is your first sound kit.  16V is totally fine.  But before you turn your expensive gear on next time, maybe check what input voltages it accepts, so you don't fry your investment on the first day.

Good luck!  And poke around a lot before asking more questions. 

11. This makes me think you might need to read more about sound in general, but I might be wrong.  Anyway, input compressors work on the inputs, card compressors work on the recorded tracks.  If you can't imagine gain staging that would make this appropriate then this question is beyond the scope of my attention now.

I gathered that, I can read... I know what I am talking about; in fact I am a lecturer with 10 years industry experience too and can imagine gain staging thank you very much... Professional audio gear usually come with a signal flow that makes everything clear and I still don't the point to compress twice. this is redundant in my opinion

Yes it is redundant but they are all there because of peoples different workflows- I personally dont use any input compressors because of neverclip but I use output compressors and occasionally use card compressors. But you may choose a different workflow.   

"Thanks for the reply but If someone from Zaxcom could comment on the points that would be great. but please zaxcom staff only."

This is truly bad form, to ask for an inordinate amount of help on some very basic issues YOU are having (and I won't continue to speculate on why you are having these problems) and then to dictate to us the sort of help you want! Also, certainly if you expect to get direct help here on JWSOUND from the founder, creator and owner of Zaxcom, you should learn that his name is spelled with 2 Ns:  Glenn Sanders. Maybe it's just the nature of forum-text relationships but there seems to be a tone to your request for help that isn't sitting so well with me. Additionally, the statement: "Also most of the questions are feature requests" seems really to come out of nowhere when everything before this statement took the form of a question about how to use the features and functions of the recorder. How can you make "feature requests" for things that you haven't figured out how to do in their present form?

Edited by Jeff Wexler

Obviously you don't live in the real world, names gets misspelled all the time and none cares. stop taking it so personally please.

sorry to be new on the unit; I am coming here for answers and I get people giving emotional judgment without answering anything. Only Jack is answering professionally.

I won't comment on the rest.

Don't you find it difficult carrying a loaded sound kit along with that massive chip on your shoulder?

Obviously you don't live in the real world, names gets misspelled all the time and none cares. stop taking it so personally please.

sorry to be new on the unit; I am coming here for answers and I get people giving emotional judgment without answering anything. Only Jack is answering professionally.

I won't comment on the rest.

Wow. Big balls.

Not only have you not done your homework with your device manual, but you clearly have not done your homework on whom you are speaking to.

I suggest you beat a hasty retreat and do whatever it takes to make a severe attitude adjustment before returning. You're burning bridges in a small tight-knit community where reputation is the coin of the realm.

Are you saying that with neverclip tracks cannot clip event if not attenuated and without input compressor too ?

In that case I like your workflow but then what would be the point of attenuated tracks ?

There are a cumulative 422 posts on this topic from this forum alone - plus many more on the Zaxcom forum and on the Zaxcom facebook forum you might want to read through them. Where is Senator Mike when you need him?

Edited by Jack Norflus

"Thanks for the reply but If someone from Zaxcom could comment on the points that would be great. but please zaxcom staff only."

This is truly bad form, to ask for an inordinate amount of help on some very basic issues YOU are having (and I won't continue to speculate on why you are having these problems) and then to dictate to us the sort of help you want! 

+1

w4vz: This is not a Zaxcom support forum, and yes, I should know - I learned the hard way. Go to forum.zaxcom.com if you want "zaxcom staff only" answering your posts.

As for your concerns, you should use the machine and read some more, it is very flexible. I am sure you will love it when you know it better...

Wow. Big balls.

Not only have you not done your homework with your device manual, but you clearly have not done your homework on whom you are speaking to.

I suggest you beat a hasty retreat and do whatever it takes to make a severe attitude adjustment before returning. You're burning bridges in a small tight-knit community where reputation is the coin of the realm.

+1 to that, too.

w4vz: You seem like you didn't know what machine you were buying? You cannot just buy a car, and then instruct a car manufacturer how it is supposed to work, can you? 95% of your issues come from lack of knowledge, the hardware can do 95-99% of what you're asking it to. Abe Dolinger responded to most of your questions. 

Oh i see you're a lecturer, and the very first thing you do when you come here (JWsoundgroup) is give a lecture to the host.  What a courtesy :)

Good luck with your Nomad.

Edited by resonate

There is a lot of misunderstanding with Neverclip, but it's actually pretty simple.  With digital, 0dBfs is the maximum level without hitting the "brick wall" so it is the maximum level that can be used.  Period.

Therefore, to extend the dynamic range one must optimize the lower end of the dynamics (LSB).  By using dual converters, Neverclip does just that.  To take advantage of increased headroom, you then need to operate at a lower level.  You can take advantage of Neverclip on the inputs without its additional headroom advantage on your recorded tracks if you prefer to work that way and watch your levels.

Part of the issue here is misunderstanding of how the main drive and the mirror drive are used.  Simply put, the mirror is exactly that -- it converts from the MARF format to WAV, but the conversion is a mirror of what you have recorded on the main drive.  Anything else would cause issues.  Why?  Because if you took advantage of the increased headroom and mirrored that with a level boost, the higher portions of the signal that have increased headroom, would then hit the 0dBfs "brick wall" with nasty results.  That's how digital works.

If you need to record at a higher level, simply turn off the ISO attenuation and record higher, watching, of course, that you avoid hitting zero.

This answers another question that you had earlier about why the mirror doesn't reflect metadata changes you have made to the files.  Mirroring simply converts and copies the files, including metadata, from the main drive to the mirror drive, exactly as you recorded it.  If you make changes to the metadata after you have mirrored that particular file, you need to re-mirror the file if you want the changes reflected on the mirror drive.

What is the reason you are using attenuated tracks?  If I understand what you are doing, you shouldn't need or want iso attenuation.  

0dbFS on the meters is Full Scale relative to the recorded files (and outputs). Which are 24 bit resolution.  The neverclip input gives you an additional 20db headroom above 0dbfs, which is why attenuation is needed in order to record signals that hot without clipping.

So again I ask, why are you using attenuation?  Are you sure it's the right technique for your situation?

The neverclip input gives you an additional 20db headroom above 0dbfs

I know you know what you're talking about, but I don't think it should be stated this way as it causes people to think they can actually exceed 0dBfs -- which they can't, of course.

Edited by John Blankenship

I know you know what you're talking about, but I don't think it should be stated this way as it causes people to think they can actually exceed 0dBfs -- which they can't, of course.

That's a fair point.  I suppose it's clearer to word it in terms of dynamic range as opposed to exceeding 0dbfs.  The thing I think is often missing from this discussion is the 0dbfs limit we are talking about is at 24 bit resolution, and a 32 bit mix engine can work with number that do exceed the limit of 24 bit resolution.  

There seems to be a great deal of misunderstanding about how digital actually works.

The simple answer to this dilemma that shouldn't be a dilemma is, if you want to record hotter tracks, do so.

If you're recording in environments where the LSBs make a difference, use your energy to enjoy the amazingly quiet location you're blessed to be recording in.