Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

So, I'm assuming that the upgrade would just consist of a software update to allow XLR's 5&6 to actually have signal?

All versions of Nomad feature 10 analog input channels - the main difference between machines are the number of record tracks. Nomad 4 records 4 tracks, Nomad 6 will do 6 tracks, etc.

Nomad 4 doesn't give you digital inputs or outputs or IFB capability. But all the mixing features and routing are all the same.

Once you get up to Nomad 8 and 12 you get an additional Linux processor which gives you the ability to record to a third media and record MP3 files.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, my question was badly written. I meant returning to factory for track count upgrade. Question answered thanks. I didn't realise hardware upgrading was involved. I thought it was only software.

regards

Mike

No need for software upgrade.

If you are upgrading from Nomad 4/6 to 8/12 then you need to send it to the factory.

The hardware is different.

Zaxnet is already integrated. Mix 8 is coming soon.

whilst zaxnet is integrated, it is not yet publicly available, unless you are a member of the old DEVA II group.

hopefully the new software will be uploaded if not to the zaxcom forum, then the website soon,

Anyone using the 2.4ghz amps for Zaxnet that some mixers are using on the IFB 100's. Curious if anyone has tested that out for cart use.

Several people on this forum are using the amp for cart work including Bill Sarokin and Jan McLaughlin who both have posted here that they have had great success using an 2.4 amp.

Thanks Jack, I found the thread.

Rado, since the Nomad is only 50mw output I was eager to do some walk test with my Zax IFB's. I was pretty happy with the range, but not blown away by it. I tested at several locations and only had some problems at one location. An older brick house, walked outside while transmitting from indoors, I only got about 30 feet away before signal break up.(There possibly could of been some 2.4ghz interference at that location).

I plan to use my Nomad for cart use from time to time, and I want to use the TC IFB's for Camera reference + TC Sync. I still use my Comteks for client headsets. So, I just want to make sure I've got some decent range for that scenario. For most purposes, I think the onboard whip antenna should be fine.

I know it is different tech, but, I use Sennheiser G2's (30mw) and the range is better than any other "IFB" system that I have ever used. I believe it has something to do with the Tx antenna being in open air and not crushed up against a body.

Hopefully the Nomad Tx has similar results. I wonder if we could use an antenna similar to the Lectro coax antenna to get it away from any sources of interference in the bag (without losing too much through cable loss)

Most of the differences in range/performance between the Zaxcom IFB and almost any other system, is the 2.4 ghz operating range. 2.4 ghz is very different than UHF bands we are used to with our wireless systems. I use the Zaxcom/Sarokin recommended amp and antenna (always cart based) and have had excellent range. Indoors, you will always be good, but getting from indoors to outdoors may sometimes present problems depending not so much on distance but on the composition of the walls you will need to pass through. Even the simplest Comtek at low power will perform better when someone leaves the set to go out to the truck for example.

Indoors, I find the system works great. I'm working out of a bag, using the QRX IFB option (similar to the Nomad IFB, I think a little less output power..?) I can cover a whole house set, most of a sound stage, and even get a few metres outside (of a house) before the system breaks up - just using the supplied antenna. Outside is a different matter, and for commercials that shoot on location that 'need' 6-10 receivers, I'll still use UHF because the clients still want to be able to hear what's going on on set as they drive away with it. I love being able to stick a single box on the camera and feed it a scratch track and timecode, and in future I'll give my boom op a Zax IFB too, just for the better quality. Everyone else gets a Lectro, Comtek or Sennheiser IEM depending on what I'm using. (I find the Sennheiser to have the best sound quality).

aaaaaannd we're totally off topic. Go JWSOUND! hahaha

Glenn,

I ordered my nomad from my Hong Kong Local agency , since October.... the original delivery schedule was end of October.... however, till now i can not even get any proposed schedule of my nomad delivery .My local distributor has tired to contact Zaxcom Sales Department but seems no feedback....I already sign the Zaxcom nomad delivery acknowledge month ago ....... However , thing seems stuck here ... I knowthat Zaxcom is dealing with high demand of Nomad.... .. But would like to know any proposed deleivery period of this... knowing it come late better than waiting without any notice....

Thanks for ALL

Nomad software version 2.68 is now available for download from the Zaxcom website.

http://www.zaxcom.co...are_updates.htm

This version adds full Zaxnet features to Nomad. So now you can use Nomad to control your Zaxcom wireless, and use Nomad to broadcast IFB audio and TC to Zaxcom ERX receivers. So now I can pull my ComTek transmitter out of my bag and lighten the load.

I did a walk test with my ERX and I can say I found the range was quite impressive. I have not noticed any issues with the Zaxnet signal getting into the audio or affecting the Lectro scans.

Nomad software version 2.68 is now available for download from the Zaxcom website.

http://www.zaxcom.co...are_updates.htm

This version adds full Zaxnet features to Nomad. So now you can use Nomad to control your Zaxcom wireless, and use Nomad to broadcast IFB audio and TC to Zaxcom ERX receivers. So now I can pull my ComTek transmitter out of my bag and lighten the load.

I did a walk test with my ERX and I can say I found the range was quite impressive. I have not noticed any issues with the Zaxnet signal getting into the audio or affecting the Lectro scans.

This is great. I assume to receive from camera mounted QRX's you have to swap the IFB to receive mode - does this require a re-boot?

There are 3 Zaxnet modes in the Nomad.

Transmit mode always transmits IFB, time code and wireless remote control.

Receive mode always receives TC and IFB audio

Transceiver mode transmits unless the headphone monitor system needs to output a camera return. In this case it automatically tunes to the correct frequency and receives the audio for monitoring. When the monitor mode is deselected the Nomad returns to transmit mode.

Glenn