Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Top column are the Inputs. You assign fader 1 to Input 1 by marking the field on the top left with an X (it's not A, D, T, Z anymore). If you want to use another fader as a trim (pre-fader) then you would mark a T instead of an X.

The analog or digital inputs? What about return 3/4 or audio returned from Zaxnet? And there are just X and T indicators currently?

Mark O.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

faderassign.gif

What does the 1-8 across the top refer to?

What do the A, D, T, and Z stand for?

How would I assign a fader to control the level of R1 or R2?

The numbers across the top are your inputs - either XLR (analog) or DB15 (digital) inputs.

The A is for analog input, D is for digital input, T is for trim which allows you to use that fader as a hardware trim knob, and Z is for Zaxnet (not implemented yet).

The returns aren't able to be assigned to a hardware fader. You need to use the "virtual fader" which is selected by togging through the meter home screens. The menu knob will act as a fader in this case. Though in due time Zaxcom will release an optional 4 fader extension which will give you 4 additional hardware faders to control the inputs 7-10.

Zaxcom has cleared Nomad software version 2.34 - and it is available on their web site. Depending what version you are running now 2.34 has a lot of new features included are:

• adjustable HPF frequencies for each channel
  • the new non-shifted tone feature that will prevent you from accidentally turning tone
  • trim "diamonds" added to all the input meters
  • user programmable 6 character headphone labels
  • a new user friendly PFL setup
  • user adjustable HP beeps for record start/stop, low battery warnings and low card warnings
  • added stability to card formating
  • plus a few engineering items

sorry Mark, my explanation wasn't clear, but Jack already explained it perfectly.

And two more questions to Jack:

1 when I turn the unit on Mirroring is always off. Is that normal? I'd like it to be on at all times.

2 I can't seem to get the com working. When I press the com button nothing happens, while the SLT button activates the internal slate mic. Any hints?

1 when I turn the unit on Mirroring is always off. Is that normal? I'd like it to be on at all times.

Yes it is normal - I spoke to Howy about this a while back and it is a safety - to prevent accidental record. I can't recall the full reason or explanation - but I will inquire and find out. I too find it a bit cumbersome.

The other thing to keep in mind wih regard to mirroring - if mirroring is set to "On" or "continuous" you will not be able to change any mirror recording parameters such as engaging or disengaging record tracks. You must go back to mirroring and turn it off to make changes.

Also if you forget to turn mirroring on Nomad will mirror any "un-mirrored tracks" when ever you turn on mirroring - provided you have everything set correctly in the "Mirror CF" menu.

2 I can't seem to get the com working. When I press the com button nothing happens, while the SLT button activates the internal slate mic. Any hints?

The com feature isn't available yet.

I just updated to 2.34. When I start up the boot screen shows three red lines at the end with "bad checksum". Then Nomad starts up so it doesn't seem to cause problems. Do you have these three red lines too, Jack?

I like the rec/stop tones and trim diamonds. Very handy. In unshifted transport the >> button still doesn't work it seems?

Noticed an odd effect this afternoon and if anyone has this issue it's a simple solution. If you assign a fader as a trim knob (via fader assign menu) some of your inputs will suddenly exhibit a clicking/beeping noise when adjusting the gain (showing on the meters as well). The only solution I've found is to re-flash your nomad with the current firmware and not assign trim knobs anymore.

I just updated to 2.34. When I start up the boot screen shows three red lines at the end with "bad checksum". Then Nomad starts up so it doesn't seem to cause problems. Do you have these three red lines too, Jack?

I like the rec/stop tones and trim diamonds. Very handy. In unshifted transport the >> button still doesn't work it seems?

Reformat the primary card. Also upgrade to our new software 2.36 from our web site. There is a bug in 2.34.

Glenn

Noticed an odd effect this afternoon and if anyone has this issue it's a simple solution. If you assign a fader as a trim knob (via fader assign menu) some of your inputs will suddenly exhibit a clicking/beeping noise when adjusting the gain (showing on the meters as well). The only solution I've found is to re-flash your nomad with the current firmware and not assign trim knobs anymore.

This is being worked on.

Another neat shortcut that is in the latest software - which is still being tested, but after it has been cleared you will now be able to toggle through the different meter screens the traditional way (pushing the menu button and hitting either the slate or com button) - or by just pressing the star key. The star key will now easily enable you to change your meter screens....

Kudos to Robert Kenny for suggesting pressing the star button to advance through the display options. There are two reasons this is good: 1) You can now change the meter display easily with one finger. 2) The display toggle will probably the the function most likely to be changed while recording, so being able to do this without the notable "click" of the menu button is a plus.

Glen Trew

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sure by the time I get my unit it will be quite different than the simulator, with all of the firmware updates.

The creation of a four fader hardware add-on unit makes me ask why they didn't just make the Nomad slightly larger and include 10 faders. Of course, that would really tick off Fusion/Deva owners.

Mark O.

The creation of a four fader hardware add-on unit makes me ask why they didn't just make the Nomad slightly larger and include 10 faders

It would have added to the size, weight, and cost for something that not everyone would want and or need. Zaxcom's research found that 6 hardware faders, in essentially what is an ENG field mixer, was satisfactory to most people, most of the time. And for those who wanted the additional faders the add-on would work. But regardless the "virtual faders" are there and are fairly easy to access and operate.

Kudos to Robert Kenny for suggesting pressing the star button to advance through the display options. There are two reasons this is good: 1) You can now change the meter display easily with one finger. 2) The display toggle will probably the the function most likely to be changed while recording, so being able to do this without the notable "click" of the menu button is a plus.

Glen Trew

+1

Navigating thru the different meter screens got a whole lot easier.

What Headphone presets are Nomad users configuring? Please share your set ups so I can compare and potentially find some configs I may not be thinking of.

My initial set up has Preset 1 as a default "ENG" stereo out monitor similar to ST on a Sound Devices 442. I also set up presets for each input to mimic prefades and still more that are card only, both for playback and live monitoring when recording only in the Nomad and not sending sound out the outputs.

One question I have is if I place an X at #1 column in the CARD matrix row and then place an X at column #1in the OUT matrix row, will I hear "doubling" in the headphones if I have input #1 recording to card #1 and sending through OUT #1?

Thanks

One question I have is if I place an X at #1 column in the CARD matrix row and then place an X at column #1in the OUT matrix row, will I hear "doubling" in the headphones if I have input #1 recording to card #1 and sending through OUT #1?

Yes -

What ever crosspoint you select will be added to what you are monitoring.

Jack, what's your default headphone set up?

I'm trying to come up with something that works for a very common job I do: "Reality" shoots where I'm recording ISO's to the machine while sending a two track mix to the cameras. If I monitor only my OUT's, I won't hear card tracks. If I monitor the the card tracks, I won't hear my outs. With my SD 442 and 744t, I'd just toggle between stereo out of the mixer and B return, which was the 744t, and also toggle the momentary PFL switches on the 442. This method worked beautifully and quickly.

What I initially arrived at with the Nomad is defaulting to HP1 which I have set up for stereo out (out 1/2) to the cameras (HP Preset 1 is set 1/2 outs) and then monitoring each track via PFL. With the lack of hard button momentary PFL's, this is cumbersome on the Nomad, so I set up HP presets with individual track monitoring. This method results in a lot of button pressing to access each track in the HP presets.

Can you think of an easier way to toggle between stereo out (for monitoring what one is sending to camera) and card tracks (for monitoring what's being recorded in the Nomad)?

Jack, what's your default headphone set up?

Can you think of an easier way to toggle between stereo out (for monitoring what one is sending to camera) and card tracks (for monitoring what's being recorded in the Nomad)?

I have a very basic headphone setup. I have the standard "stereo" left right out on one - which is just output bus 1 and 2 in separate ears. I have two "stereo" camera returns since I do a lot of multi-camera stuff recorded in camera. And I will assign card tracks on an as need basis - since it will vary on how many tracks and which are more important to monitor at the time. Plus I use PFL for iso input tracks.

Two things to keep in mind if you push the HP knob you will advance one and if you push and hold the HP knob it will go back one. So this might make navigating easier.

Plus the latest software changes the parameters of the PFL - so if you haven't loaded the latest software check it out.

Lastly there is some talk about adding an enable box to each HP select so if you are not using that set-up for that shoot you can turn it off so you wouldn't have to toggle through it.

I have a very basic headphone setup. I have the standard "stereo" left right out on one - which is just output bus 1 and 2 in separate ears. I have two "stereo" camera returns since I do a lot of multi-camera stuff recorded in camera. And I will assign card tracks on an as need basis - since it will vary on how many tracks and which are more important to monitor at the time. Plus I use PFL for iso input tracks.

Two things to keep in mind if you push the HP knob you will advance one and if you push and hold the HP knob it will go back one. So this might make navigating easier.

Plus the latest software changes the parameters of the PFL - so if you haven't loaded the latest software check it out.

Lastly there is some talk about adding an enable box to each HP select so if you are not using that set-up for that shoot you can turn it off so you wouldn't have to toggle through it.

I named my first headphone position Mix and its monitoring the two channel out of the mixer. Then I named the next HP position the name of the host of the show, and then HO1, HO2, HO3 (homeowner 1, 2, 3) and finally boom. Those five positions are monitoring the iso card tracks which are routed pre-fader.

Bernie

Thanks to JB for the link, again, which I also saw the last time, as well....

Maybe the reluctance to contact the manufacturers directly, or the annoyance some feel towards me would also be "the same thing, only different"...!

on a positive note: maybe JW would consider another "section" of the forum to allow manufacturers to set up tech support threads... ?? maybe corporate donations to the site would be appropriate...??

Edited by studiomprd

...maybe JW would consider another "section" of the forum to allow manufacturers to set up tech support threads... ??

We've already had a couple of nice threads that served that very goal quite well with an interaction of users and manufacturer. Unfortunately, as soon as one gets started, someone can't seem to restrain his compulsion to try to divert the focus of the threads to himself.

Just so we're clear, constantly interrupting otherwise worthwhile discussions and spouting annoying mantras ad nauseam to other professionals, just plain, ain't cool.

Thanks to JB for the link, again, which I also saw the last time, as well....

Maybe the reluctance to contact the manufacturers directly, or the annoyance some feel towards me would also be "the same thing, only different"...!

on a positive note: maybe JW would consider another "section" of the forum to allow manufacturers to set up tech support threads... ??

I understand your agenda, Senator, keeping everything in its right place etc. but this thread saves time and effort for Nomad users (and potential users). You get faster answers here than when emailing to a company that doesn't work 24 hours a day. Plus it's users who help other users so stop sh***ing please.