Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

I actually think the home screen of the 664 consolidates all the information nicely and appropriately as far as size is concerned. I feel a lot of the screen on the Nomad is used by things that maybe are not sized/labeled optimally.

This. 664 main screen is laid out very well. The main issue (as I see it) with the Nomad home screen is that is also has to show and allow you to alter pan states. Those blue boxes take up a lot of room...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. 664 main screen is laid out very well. The main issue (as I see it) with the Nomad home screen is that is also has to show and allow you to alter pan states. Those blue boxes take up a lot of room...

Agreed, but I guess that is what you get fir not having dedicated pan knobs.

We should start a new topic Called Future of nomad home screen and post our wishes and some photoshoped picture, maybe howy will be glad to give us what we want if he can clearly see what we talk about !

I'm for the custom home page, one for double system only would be great as i'm doing a lot of it, like 85% of the time !

We should start a new topic Called Future of nomad home screen and post our wishes and some photoshoped picture, maybe howy will be glad to give us what we want if he can clearly see what we talk about !

I'm for the custom home page, one for double system only would be great as i'm doing a lot of it, like 85% of the time !

I think that is a briliant idea to start a home screen wish list thread. Zaxcom is planning new home screens so this way the screens can be designed to fit peoples needs.

Unfortunately I don't think the GUI can support a user custom built screen - though Howy can say for sure but he is currently stranded without power or internet.

There is a homescreen request thread on the zaxcom forums.

I think that is a briliant idea to start a home screen wish list thread. Zaxcom is planning new home screens so this way the screens can be designed to fit peoples needs.

Unfortunately I don't think the GUI can support a user custom built screen - though Howy can say for sure but he is currently stranded without power or internet.

Don't know how you'd see this Howy, but my thoughts are with you! Hope Glenn & the rest of the Zax team is safe & dry.

With limited power and perhaps only a dial-up internet connection Howy was still able to make some fixes and posted 4.01 on the Zaxcom forum

Fixes are:

Nomad 4.01 Nov 1

• added Elapsed Recorded Time display on home screen "Seg 23 (0:11:22)"
  • fixed loud noise on inputs when using certain InputConfig modes
  • fixed problems with formatting a mirror card
  • fixed bugs when storing / reading compressor settings

I really appreciate this update being uploaded considering the conditions that you guys are under over there. Thanks for your hard work and hope you're all still safe down there.

That said, this update doesn't actually fix anything for me. Even after doing a factory reset (which I assume is done in the memory menu, right?) my Nomad continues to crash under 4.01. It's gone down at least twice a day every day on the feature that I'm mixing right now. Again, it happens randomly as far as I can tell. As soon as everyone at Zaxcom is safe and back to normal I'd love to send my settings into Howy to see what the problem is.

Also, for some reason 4.01 has made the limiter problem even worse for me--in addition to forgetting the actual limiter parameters it also forgets which tracks/outputs have limiters enabled. I can 100% confirm that I am running 4.01 before anyone asks.

[Edit] And like that, there's a 4.02 update. You guys are wonderful maniacs over there.

Well, as long as we're posting feature requests...

1. Would love to have the ability to switch the primary record folder without needing to disable mirroring, while also having the mirror card adjust itself to begin mirroring the new primary record folder.

2. Similarly, being able to write a sound report without needing to disable mirroring would be wonderful.

3. A prompt should present itself if you try to use illegal characters or duplicate the name of a file or folder. Right now the default behaviour is to kick the user to the menu without letting them know what happened. As an example, I wanted to name a folder AtS 01 yesterday, but I guess folders can't have spaces in their names. Because of this, when I entered this name and hit OK I was kicked back to the primary card menu and my primary folder name was still z001. It took me a while to figure out that I had to name it AtS01 for it to work. A dialogue box would make things a little less confusing for new Zaxcom users, like me.

4. Less of a request and more of a question: why does switching to Input Type 7 in the Input Configure menu play a tone?

5. I know that there's a clear motivation for the way things are right now, and it's a pretty small request, but I would love to be able to select my meter colours. I rarely ever look at anything other than my card meters and I would prefer to have them be green instead of purple.

6. It would be great to have the new filename convention recognized in the sound reports. Right now I have my Nomad set to name clips 1_T2_Z001001.wav but in the report the filenames are written with the Z001001.wav convention in mind.

7. A question and a request: why are the Powersave and Autokill 48v Phantom power features mutually exclusive? It feels like it would be really wise to have both of them enabled, unless there's something I'm missing.

8. There is a bug--involving metadata entry after deleting a segment--that has been present since at least 3.06. I want everyone to try this out:

- Start with a fresh primary folder. It can be named whatever.

- In the metadata menu, enter Scene as 1.

- Record a bunch of segments. For now 5 should be enough.

- Delete the fifth segment from the main screen by pressing stop twice. Confirm deletion by hitting slate.

- Go to the metadata menu. Notice that it allows you to edit segment 6 even though there are only 4 segments in your folder (remember, we just deleted segment 5).

From here, several things can happen:

You enter new metadata for segment 6 (increase the scene number to 2).

If you do this, the next clip you record (seg 5) will be listed as S1 T5, and the clip after that will be listed as S2 T6. Subsequent segments will be S2 T7, S2 T8, etc. Disregarding the fact that it's weird to enter metadata for the next next clip, if I advance a scene number the take number should reset back to 1.

You enter new metadata for segment 5 (increase the scene number to 2).

If you do this, segment 5 will record as S2 T1. However, every subsequent segment will be recorded as S1 and the take field will be blank.

I realize now that I should probably be marking takes instead of deleting them, but this is a pretty big bug that I got bit by today. Not the end of the world, but I have a bunch of mislabeled files as a result. This brings me to my last feature request:

9. If you change the metadata of a segment (like the take or scene) it would be awesome if the filename on the mirror card was updated to reflect this. Right now if I accidentally name a scene 23A_T3 instead of 23B_T1 my filename is always going to be 23A_T3_Z001003.wav even if I change the metadata later. Is it possible to get the Nomad to rename the clip (in this case, to 23B_T1_Z001003.wav)?

Woo! Sorry that was so long. Hopefully this feedback is actually useful.

I would kindly ask that requests for new features not be posted on JW sound. We want as much feedback as we can get on our products and often incorporate many of the requests. Please post them on the Zaxcom Forum under the appropriate product category. It is better for Howy and I to respond there. Even better a phone call to me regarding a feature request is often the best way to see if something is possible.

JW sound should not become a conduit for us to communicate with our customer base. Please continue to give us the feedback that helps us make better products for you.

Thank You

Glenn

+1. It's getting kinda out of hand on here.

The Zaxcom forum is great for those that haven't been there. Sign up, and Bookmark. It should indeed be the go-to. Massive threads like this one might not inspire confidence in the product for someone considering getting into Zaxcom products either. Even though us owners are thrilled, It probably doesn't always translate that way on the page.

3. A prompt should present itself if you try to use illegal characters or duplicate the name of a file or folder. Right now the default behaviour is to kick the user to the menu without letting them know what happened. As an example, I wanted to name a folder AtS 01 yesterday, but I guess folders can't have spaces in their names. Because of this, when I entered this name and hit OK I was kicked back to the primary card menu and my primary folder name was still z001. It took me a while to figure out that I had to name it AtS01 for it to work. A dialogue box would make things a little less confusing for new Zaxcom users, like me.

The illegal characters/spaces have to follow what the core Linux operating system will allow. If you have any experience with Unix/Linux/BSD that will make sense. Spaces don't work, but you can use a "-" or "_" instead. Unix uses paths like home/CFCard/02NOV/02NOV007.WAV That might not be exactly right, but basically that is why a space or a "/" (among other characters) in a filename would be an issue. I'm rusty with Unix and don't know specifics to the Zaxcom software, but I am 99% sure it uses customized Linux.

Something else to remind a new Zaxcom user.... This is important when doing notes not to use a "," in track notes. I don't know if the Nomad allows it, but with the Deva/Fusion you could do one (definitely with an external keyboard). The sound reports are a universal open format called CSV (comma-separated values). In short, when the file has a comma, the field jumps fields. Your sound reports will be madness. Use a period or dash instead.

http://en.wikipedia....eparated_values

The operating system doesn't really affect what characters can and can't be used as much as the file system does (in this case, FAT32). Linux, Unix, etc. all have support for different partition and volume formats that support crazy things like case sensitivity or journaling. Until I hear otherwise, I'm just assuming that its a byproduct of using MARF. Again though, I'm not really bothered by the fact that I can't use spaces in my folder names--I'm mostly just bothered by the fact that their isn't any feedback if you try to use a space. A dialogue box that didn't kick you out of the naming menu would be a concession that I could get behind.

Anyway, sorry about posting requests in here instead of the Zax forums Glenn. When I get off set today I'm going to cross post my other post to the Nomad subforum.

• 2 weeks later...