Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real time!?

Meaning a 30 minutes take will mirror in 30 min?!

Obviously if you are continuous mirroring it has to be in real time. To continuous mirror faster than real time would defy the laws of physics.

If you are re-mirroring it is way faster than real time. Though just a bit slower than CF re-mirroring.

Obviously if you are continuous mirroring it has to be in real time. To continuous mirror faster than real time would defy the laws of physics.

What a disapointement.. I thought dr Emmett Brown was part of the zaxcom staff...

But thanks for the clarification Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd ask how everyone is organizing their files. Since the folder naming menu only allows so many characters I wondered if their was an easy/efficient way of naming folders.

I'd like to get a system down that is easy to use and structured enough to make post's life easier.

Any tips/info is appreciated.

Is there any way to have the track names also export to the metadata or is it more so to make life easier for us?

In all honesty I screwed up a little on the last movie I was on. I was a week into production when the post supervisor came on set. I knew immediately what that meant so I rushed over to intercept him before he made his way to the Producer. He told me the editor is having a hard time understanding my files and wanted to know what the heck I was doing. As it turns out the editor was quite a bit rusty in terms of understanding files/computers in general (he didn't even know how to download a file) but the bottom line is that I was thrown under the bus for this. After I explained everything to the post-sup he felt comfortable that I had everything under control, however he walked away for a second and called the editor to let him know everything was cool. Then he went on to say "well, the problem is these days is that these sound guys don't have any formal training anymore...they just get gear and start getting these jobs without knowing the way a real movie should be made..." I pretended not to hear him but that comment really burned me up and made me feel like shit. In the grand scheme of things the post-sup and editor were from the same generation so I can understand their view on things. In any case, I don't ever want to feel like that again so if there is a formal way that sound files should be organized then please advise. Sorry for the long post.

Trying to help you out Michael but I'm still not entirely understanding the problem. I have never thought about how I have to "organize" the files that represent my recordings. All files have a file name that is entered automatically by the recorder you are using (and it is true that the various recorders do use different naming schemes and different folder hierarchies), each file also has a timecode stamp, and each file will have any metadata that you have entered (and again, each recorder has somewhat different ways of entering metadata but the metadata "area" is determined by the industry standard specification for a Broadcast Wave File). These sound files need to be synced, of course (as you are doing double system), either to the film (anyone still using that stuff?) or more commonly to the image files. This syncing process is done in so many different ways from utilization of a facility, done by an assistant editor in the editing room, on set (or close by) by an editor or a data manager or a DIT. In all cases, again, YOU have not had to organize anything --- you have delivered your sound files in the industry adopted file format on a carrier (DVD-RAM, CF, Hard Drive, etc.) and it is THEIR job to sync it up and organize the files in the manner that they want to start the post editorial process.

I can only assume that I haven't had any difficulties with any of this because I have had the luxury on almost every job to have had a discussion before shooting with the post supervisor and/or editorial team so we know we're all on the same page, no surprises. I guess also I have been lucky that I haven't had to work with a lot of other people who have limited experience (and many of them gained the experience dealing with production sound files in the beginning when they had to deal with MY sound; I had to do a lot of hand holding and sorting out with post and many of these things have now been adopted as standard operating procedures).

Well that makes me feel a lot better. I never had an issue with my sound files until this film so for a while after I second guessed myself as to whether I was doing things the "standard way".

One of the other problems the editor had, which could have been resolved with a discussion before the shoot, was that I was handing over all the tracks instead of just the mix. He wasn't able to isolate just the mix in FCP and so he was getting really pissed off about this because it was causing him to do extra work.

In regards to timecode I did sync everything at the beginning of the day and at lunch. I was told by one of the post guys that all my stuff synced up really nice and that they never had a drift issue. So, I guess based on what you're saying Jeff the one thing I shouldn't have screwed up was done right. =) Ok, cool.

Just thought I'd ask how everyone is organizing their files. Since the folder naming menu only allows so many characters I wondered if their was an easy/efficient way of naming folders.

I'd like to get a system down that is easy to use and structured enough to make post's life easier.

Any tips/info is appreciated.

DEpending on the job my system changes slightly.

If it is day playing stuff then a system like Crews WM1412 - we do day than month over here.

If it is longer form stuff usually shoot day.

Or whatever they ask me to do - well as close as I can using seven characters.

Cheers Nate

I'm doing a lot of reality tv right now, so I may use the initials+date of the show, or just the date, like 13DEC, so that I'll have 13DEC001.wav as a file name.

I've never had post complain. Cameras don't stamp scene/take on file names, we use time code to sync everything. The downloader or DIT or asst editor is already putting camera and audio files in a folder of the day's footage so it's all in one place.