Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

" which could have been resolved with a discussion before the shoot, "

I have just one, also obvious word:

workflow test

" Is he joking? "

probably not

" the problem is these days is that these sound guys don't have any formal training anymore... "

that's true, though not necessarily "the problem" at hand

" Editor says, "What's a sound report?" "

not if s/he's an old timer...

" In all honesty I screwed up a little on the last movie I was on. I was a week into production when the post supervisor came on set. I knew immediately what that meant so I rushed over to intercept him before he made his way to the Producer. "

leads me to believe there is a bit more to this story...

" he was getting really pissed off about this because it was causing him to do extra work. "

that doesn't sound unreasonable...

" I was thrown under the bus for this. "

happens all the time. (doesn't necessarily make it right...)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" In all honesty I screwed up a little on the last movie I was on. I was a week into production when the post supervisor came on set. I knew immediately what that meant so I rushed over to intercept him before he made his way to the Producer. "

leads me to believe there is a bit more to this story...

Not much more to this other then the editor was throwing a fit because he couldn't figure things out. I'm glad this situation happened because now I know to have a chat about workflow before the production begins. At the end of the film the Director/Producer's apologized to me because they soon realized the editor lacked basic computing skills, which most of us take for granted. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the editor is good at what he does, I just think he stuck with a niche and failed to adapt to our ever changing digital world.

At wrap he apologized for cussing me out and we had a beer together. So, in the end it all worked out.

I hope that asshole paid for the beer you drank together, that's least he could do. Blaming someone else may be that guy's default mode--notice blame came before a request for info--I'd watch out for him. All he had to have done to relieve his confusion was send you a text or email directly asking how you were naming the files and which one was your dailies mix--about 30 sec of work. Yeah a workflow test is a great thing but it can't always happen and confusion can result. It's important when it does that everyone chills, acts professionally and in the project's best interest, and they don't immediately drop into CYA mode.

philp

I hope that asshole paid for the beer you drank together, that's least he could do. Blaming someone else may be that guy's default mode--notice blame came before a request for info--I'd watch out for him. All he had to have done to relieve his confusion was send you a text or email directly asking how you were naming the files and which one was your dailies mix--about 30 sec of work. Yeah a workflow test is a great thing but it can't always happen and confusion can result. It's important when it does that everyone chills, acts professionally and in the project's best interest, and they don't immediately drop into CYA mode.

philp

That's the game in the film industry. Throwing people under the bus and not taking responsibility for your actions. Happens all the time.

It's very unprofessional and not what I practice.

I have just upgrade my nomad 4 to Lite ,and update firmware to 4.2..... it seems nice at all... but now the card mix change to recording routing, it only can choose Input , Output or return... but no more like old time, easy normal recording track.... if i choose input , the track recording pre fader input signal means i can adjust anything with the fader. If i choose Output , i need to fix the XLR output same as my recording, I can't record input 1 to card 1 , but output 1 with all tracks( sometimes small job need to do both) ......SO i am confused how i can change setting to old day... just normal recording track...

Sorry if that might have been discussed before, but i just read the thread about the c300 camera audio mentionning that guys use a stereo tone indicator to make sure they get two seperate channels when sending tone. From what i understand it is a alternating on\off tone only on left channel. I don t remember seing that anywhere in the menu of my nomad? Is that option there and if not could it eventually get there?

Thanks!

I have a Nomad 12.

When USB support is implemented for mirrorring (and keyboard support) will I be able to avail of it via a free firmware update or is there a fee invovled to unlock that feature?

I ask because I notice a place in the menu for an upgrade code under 'USB Status'.

Thanks

If you have a Nomad 8 or 12 USB support is included and there is no additional charge.

I rather have input/gain and card tracks.

If card tracks are pre-fade and 1 in to 1 card track your input meters should match your card track meters exactly (unless you've got comps or attenuation going). If card tracks are post-fade and 1 in to 1 card track your input meters should match your card track meters exactly if your faders are at 0 or less.

I do post-fade to card tracks but find I require dynamic control over card track levels so I set myself up to mix with faders to 0. I think it would be possible to stay on the ins + out 1/2 home page if it just showed armed tracks on the bottom or something like that. Or a home page with just card tracks + out 1/2. Or best would be to divide the screen into 4 pieces: out 1/2 top left, out 3/4 top right, inputs 1-6 bottom left, card tracks 1-6 bottom right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i noticed a strange thing today..i already have use several time SB-t doxes from denecke along with my nomad without problems.

I always use the BNC TC ouput from the sbt going to the nomad . today i tried going from the lemo conector of the SBT and after trying 3 differents cables, it never worked.. no big deal i just grab a BNC/BNC cable was fine but i would to understand why...

(i'm shure i had the cable were wired in the correct way tou output tc from the SBT)

what do you normally use your lemo - BNC cables for?

the lemo uses different pins for input and output.

easy way to check is to plug the lemo in to the SB-T and get some earphones and hold with the tip against the BNC pin and the shield against the shell of the BNC (you might need a screwdriver to help you hear).

if you hear timecode - dont be wearing your earphones at this point - then the cable is wired correctly and you have another issue.

though looking at the denecke site, just wanted to check that your boxes have the optional 5 pin lemo instead of the 4 pin hirose for power.

like i said , i 'm shure i had the correct cable for this purpose..the SB-T and the cable are from a very serious rental compagny...

I first thought the cable was faulty, so i tried 3 or 4 other cables..so it can' t be faulty o ra mis wired cable problem..

Again not a big deal since i have no problem jaming the SBT with a BNC/ lemo cable ( wired the other way..) and  jaming back the nomad with a BNC/ BNC cable..

i Just don't like not understanding why..