Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fader control can be easily accessed directly from the ENG home screen. Nomad can be setup to directly access channels 7 and 8 only.

Pressing the menu encoder will toggle between the 2 channels. The virtual fader screen is not necessary at this point.

Glenn

I cant find where to set this up. this would really help me.

Yday working with my nomad i recorded a take followed by a roomtone and i had a very short period of time between when i pressed stop and then record again and now post calls me up and says that there is a take missing. I check on my nomad take is there but not on my mirror card. I suppose that i have to be cautious of leaving some time between two takes. What is the reccomended minimal delay between pressing stop and then record for propper mirroring to occur? Thanks!

No it was not the last one and i was not in continuous mode. I don t reckon pressing menu while pressing stop. I tried re-mirroring to a different card and still the file was not showing on my computer? I ended up taking the primary card out and mirrored through zaxconvert. It worked fine. I talked over the phone with howy and he said it was a pretty unusual thing to happen. One thing i do that might be causing trouble is that i erase the oldest folders on my primarycard and never completely format it creating a bit of a complex route for nomad to operate. I backup my main card now and will format it for next job. I m still a little clueless about why that particular file didn t copy but next time instead of pressing stop and record straight away i'll just press record while it records to chop up the recording to a new segment. One thing for sure is that getting a call for a missing file sure sucks!!

"One thing i do that might be causing trouble is that i erase the oldest folders on my primarycard and never completely format it creating a bit of a complex route for nomad to operate."

This is definitely not the best procedure. I have always avoided deleting anything (I know some people are deleting false starts and stuff) and then after I have a good backup of all the data for any job I start a new job with a freshly formatted card or disk. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

Sorry if I'm asking a bit of a beginner question. I'm new to the more professional sound side of things and I just got the Nomad Lite. 

What I wanted to know is how do I make use of NeverClip? What do I need to do to allow post to take advantage of it? In the manual it says I'm supposed to use Zaxconvert but it's pretty brief/simple about what it says, and the mirror process seems to convert the files off the primary card into BWFs for me. So what exactly am I supposed to do? 

I've also noticed I can apply card attenuation only to the second card track after repeating an input into two card tracks (kind of like we used to back in film school when feeding directly into a camera — we'd repeat and lower the gain of the second track as a backup against clipping since we couldn't mix). Is this a logical way of working? 

Have not done a gig with it yet. Wanted to work out the kinks first before I ended up doing something stupid. 

Neverclip is always on so you never need to use input limiters (still advised to use a card or output compressor as your destination can still clip)

The neverclip iso attenuation is good to use if you are going to have a scene with a large dynamic range I.e going from whispering to shouting, it will allow you to capture the scene with the highest possible dynamic range. You need to work with your post department and see how they want the workflow to work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Neverclip is always on so you never need to use input limiters (still advised to use a card or output compressor as your destination can still clip)

The neverclip iso attenuation is good to use if you are going to have a scene with a large dynamic range I.e going from whispering to shouting, it will allow you to capture the scene with the highest possible dynamic range. You need to work with your post department and see how they want the workflow to work

Thanks Chris. Yes I've read through the thread and I did see that lets me disable input limiters. I'm just wondering about the card attenuation part and how that works out. 

Thanks Chris. Yes I've read through the thread and I did see that lets me disable input limiters. I'm just wondering about the card attenuation part and how that works out. 

Sawrab

Better to hear it from the horses mouth, this is the best explanation of how never clip and the iso attenuation works

Skip to 30 minutes

Better to hear it from the horses mouth, this is the best explanation of how never clip and the iso attenuation works

Skip to 30 minutes

Thanks Chris :) 51:30 was what I was looking for. I was wondering if post had to do something special in order to take advantage of the tracks. It just seems I have to tell them to increase the overall gain or normalize at some point in order to get back normal dialogue levels. 

Great video though. Will watch the whole thing in the morning. I'm not really a mix-delivering kind of recordist. What he said about just leaving the trims alone is interesting. I was originally thinking to route the faders to the hardware trims at all times and just adjust the pots occasionally. But I guess since I can just leave them alone, it will make the OMB stuff a lot easier. 

I've already noticed that when increasing the gain for a backup track (-24db attenuation) on the computer that no noise seems to get added (even though I had the track at -50/60db at times; note it was also at line level at +30db trim) and that it sounds just great.... Nice work, Zaxcom! 

Zaxconvert is only necessary if you are taking the files from the primary card and want to convert them to a .wav file.

The mirror card will natively already record as a .wav file.

The files from the mirror card are the fies you will generally hand off at the end of the day.

The primary files are fies that you would generally keep and not hand off since they need to be converted for any computer / editing system to play them.  

I was wondering if post had to do something special in order to take advantage of the tracks. It just seems I have to tell them to increase the overall gain or normalize at some point in order to get back normal dialogue levels. 

Correct.

And the amount of gain necessary will be in the meta data.

For those that are recording 9+ tracks how are you setting up your Nomad to do just this? My mix track was always the last track (I know this is backwards from the norm) so I noticed when using 8 channels Im not able to have a mix on track 9 due to the BUS menu not allowing it. 

If mix is on Track1 then are all the faders reassigned thereafter?

BTW, any word on when NeverClip will be on the TRX900LA's?

For those that are recording 9+ tracks how are you setting up your Nomad to do just this? My mix track was always the last track (I know this is backwards from the norm) so I noticed when using 8 channels Im not able to have a mix on track 9 due to the BUS menu not allowing it. 

What do you mean not allowing it?

With Nomad 10 or 12 there are no limitations on what can be routed to any record track. You can route any analog input, digital input, return, or output buses 1 thru 4 to any card track.

What do you mean not allowing it?

With Nomad 10 or 12 there are no limitations on what can be routed to any record track. You can route any analog input, digital input, return, or output buses 1 thru 4 to any card track.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. When I go to the BUS menu I see that I can only record tracks 1-4 and R1-R4 on C9. How do I get tracks 1-8 on C9?

From Zaxcom forums:

Method #1: (allows specific inputs to go to mix)

1. From any home screen.. press the Bus button
2. Scroll down to Card Mix 1-4
3. Put an X in the box for analog inputs 1-6 for CRD1
4. Press the Bus button again
5. Continue putting X's starting at R1-R4 for CRD1
6. You can now arm card track 1 and have a mono mix of all available inputs

Method #2: (everything routed to outputs recorded as mono mix)

Using Method 1, skip step 3, and for step 5 put an X in o1 and o2 for CRD1
- you now are summing anything going out outputs 1-2 to card track 1 for a mono mix

If you want to have a mix track that bounces around on the sound reports and or polyfile for post production to be annoyed with, you can use Method #1 or #2, replace step 2 with Card Mix 9-12. I would recommend getting used to putting your mix tracks starting at card track 1.

Noticed an extra 10db of gain in the Input Levels page. Is there a reason I shouldn't be using this gain? I originally didn't know about it but it has helped me a bit. When I've taken line level from a feed (occasionally distorting till I told them to turn it down, though I suppose a pad would've helped) or when testing the sennheiser G3 series at "+12" at line level, neither quite goes to -12 to -20 on the meters. The extra 10db would be helpful. 

That's not necessarily "extra" gain. Its just part of the gain structure.

Nomad has both analog as well as digital gain. Both are very clean so feel free to use it as necessary.

Personally for my Schoeps I will run the gain somewhere between 23 to 26.

Thanks, got it. 

Do you guys have a recommended cards list for 96khz operation?