Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part any card will work.

But Transcend or SanDisc are easy to obtain.

Just make sure you buy your cards from a reputable dealer since counterfeit cards do exist.

FYI I've been using transcend 133X 32Gb cards with zero issues.

I have these as well. Do they achieve the 10MB/s sustained write speed stated in the manual?

I guess this is another beginner question but how exactly do I set a limiter (for the card tracks) in the Nomad? I see the "card compressor parameters" page but I think the manual thinks I'm smarter than I am and that I actually know how to set this up. Don't see anything called "Limiter" in the manual except for the inputs...sort of. 

I just want an invisible, emergency limiter for peaks only. I intend to use card attenuation at all times and avoid limiting as much as possible. Never liked the sound of limiters. 

I have Nomad Lite 5.11. 

menu>eng setup>compressor enable

i keep all outputs and card tracks brickwalled at -2dBFS.

You're talking about the threshold right? 

Does it affect the peaks only? I mean it is called a "compressor". Wondering if it works like the ones in Pro Tools.

Do you touch "gain" at all? 

Since I've upgraded to 4.45 I've noticed the slate menu is its own section. So, if I have Bus1 as my mix and tracks 2-9 as pre-fade isos would I be correct in putting an X on Card Track1 in the "slate card enable" menu if that's where I want it to be? Reason I ask is that I don't see levels when I push the slate button. I do have it set to Internal. 

You're talking about the threshold right? 

Does it affect the peaks only? I mean it is called a "compressor". Wondering if it works like the ones in Pro Tools.

Do you touch "gain" at all? 

Sawrab

yeah a limiter is just a compressor with a high ratio. i keep my outputs and card tracks at -2dBFS with a 20:1 ratio.

of course gain is used, the limiter just prevents outputs and card tracks from clipping, as neverclip only applies to the inputs.

yeah a limiter is just a compressor with a high ratio. i keep my outputs and card tracks at -2dBFS with a 20:1 ratio.

of course gain is used, the limiter just prevents outputs and card tracks from clipping, as neverclip only applies to the inputs.

I mean the gain setting in the "Compressor Parameters Page". I feel like I should leave it at 0 since the whole point is to keep the dB down. 

I was looking for some limiter settings. I realized this is basically a soft knee limiter like the one in the 788. I found a post with your settings somewhere around here. Think I'll go with that one, at least for now while I figure out which one I like. 

Attack:      2ms

Decay:     80ms

Thresh:   -2dB

Ratio:       20.0:1

Gain:        0db

Now if you want to route slate to your output buses you would go to the "Output Bus Assign" and select "S" to route slate to the buses you want slate sent to. The below example has slate routed to output busses 1 and 2

This is what I was looking for. It solved my issue. Thanks

So, just so I'm clear on this. Slate Enable allows the slate to be on the Card track however you must also assign it via the Output Bus Assign in order to hear/see levels, right?