Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

So, just so I'm clear on this. Slate Enable allows the slate to be on the Card track however you must also assign it via the Output Bus Assign in order to hear/see levels, right?

Correct.

If you are routing one of your output busses to a card track both slate and tone will need to be enabled on the output bus.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I was looking for. It solved my issue. Thanks

So, just so I'm clear on this. Slate Enable allows the slate to be on the Card track however you must also assign it via the Output Bus Assign in order to hear/see levels, right?

depends what home screen you are on, and where you want your slate to go.

Better to hear it from the horses mouth, this is the best explanation of how never clip and the iso attenuation works

Skip to 30 minutes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I admit I just got to watch the entire video and something caught my interest. I was fascinated by what Glenn says about the ZFR 300 and its ability to record onto a card. Using Zaxnet on the Nomad I can still monitor (QC - "quality control" aka "confidence monitor") and adjust trim on the transmitters, which is waay better than the comparable Zoom H1 method. Of course, the part that interests me is the ability to get the benefits of a hard-wired signal without the cost of a wireless system compared to one. 

Are the takes on the transmitters still separated by file? And can I playback the previous take on the transmitters even after we've rolled? I'm talking about QC but without any receivers. Can't remember if he mentioned if this is possible in the video (although I do know the Nomad is capable of this). 

Is there a way to create the poly BWF files at the end of the day myself? If I copy all of the data off the transmitters and maybe use Zaxconvert to do...something.... 

I presume that the situation is upgradeable like other Zaxcom products and that I could get compatible Zaxcom receivers when the time comes.

Thinking out loud. 

The ZFR line is not a transmitter per say. It is primarily a recorder that can transmit confidence audio and TC via ZaxNet. The transmission range will not be enough to be used as a transmitter.

The general purpose of the ZFR is to record talent in a hostile rf environment or in a situation where talent will be out range.

The ZFR will create individual files every time you hit record. All files can be played back in the ZFR and can be converted to a wav or mp3 file in Zaxconvert.

Also all Zaxcom transmitters also have the ability to record as well.

Okay I will get the TRXs.

What do you think of creating poly files at the end of the day? Can Zaxconvert do this? Or is there some other way....

Yes I know post could do it themselves too. Just wondering if I could save them the trouble. 

You might be able to do something with a Zaxconvert/Wave Agent workflow, but as far as I know, Zaxconvert can't interleave multiple *.zax files

Yes right. Wave Agent may just do it. 

Do the TRXs save their recordings as .zax files? 

yes

But keep in mind the UHF signal of the transmitter will be much greater than the ZaxNet confidence signal.

What do you mean by "greater"? Do you mean interference or something else?

Also can the TRXs' transmission function be disabled like the ZFRs? Like for planes. 

Will there be a trim setting on the Nomad once connected that accurately represents the trim on the transmitter? 

Edited by srab1138

Yes right. Wave Agent may just do it. 

Do the TRXs save their recordings as .zax files? 

What do you mean by "greater"? Do you mean interference or something else?

Also can the TRXs' transmission function be disabled like the ZFRs? Like for planes. 

Will there be a trim setting on the Nomad once connected that accurately represents the trim on the transmitter? 

Sawrab

The transmit of confidence audio from the trxs is very limited in power and range.  It's designed for you to listen to the audio at very close range, i.e. while micing the talent up.  It's also not a full quality signal.  The UHF signal is full strength and full quality.

The TRXs running currentl firmware can disable the transmitter, allowing it to act as a recorder only.

You can control the gain from your Nomad using zaxnet, but if you want to see what the gain is set at, you need a QRX receiver to receive the UHF signal from the transmitter.

Could I use the QRX100 4 channel receiver? Or is that only for IFB, feeding timecode, etc.? There seems to be a drop in cost for using stereo and up receivers. Seems like it'd be good for the back as well.... If you've ever used seven receivers, you'd know what I mean  :unsure:

EDIT: 

Never mind. Doesn't seem to work that way. Stereo receivers to stereo transmitters for sure. Would be of no help to me. It is neat that the cost of stereo wireless is pretty close to the monos though. Perhaps one day I can use two lavs on a single actor for head turns or clothing noise alternatives or something like that. 

Edited by srab1138

I've been wondering about this as well..

I'm in the thought process of buying into a Zaxcom system, and one thing that "bothers" me, is that IF I'm controlling gain from my Nomad on one or more of the TXs, won't that affect the levels of both the ISOs on the Nomad and the files recorded locally on the Txs? I think I know the answer, but I just want to check if there's something I've missed. 

And if I use my faders to control the mix level of the transmitters, will the levels of the ISO on the Nomad and on the Tx match, or will that have to be fixed in post?

Not a deal breaker question, just something I've been thinking about.

Could I use the QRX100 4 channel receiver? Or is that only for IFB, feeding timecode, etc.?

A QRX100Q - 4 channel receiver can receive 2 signal from 2 separate mono transmitters or 4 signals from two stereo transmitters.

Adding the QIFB option adds ZaxNet capabilities to the unit giving you TC transmission, remote gain control, remote frequency change and the ability to remotely change power levels.

IF I'm controlling gain from my Nomad on one or more of the TXs, won't that affect the levels of both the ISOs on the Nomad and the files recorded locally on the Txs? I think I know the answer, but I just want to check if there's something I've missed. 

And if I use my faders to control the mix level of the transmitters, will the levels of the ISO on the Nomad and on the Tx match, or will that have to be fixed in post?

If you are changing the gain on the TX via Zaxnet you are altering the actually input level of the TX.

You are changing the gain of the transmitter before any recording media. So the level of the recording in the TX is affected as well as all your ISO record in Nomad.

Regarding your second question - it can match - but it is going to depend.

First are you recording your ISO tracks pre or post fade.

Second if are you using the trim on your Nomad to control the gain on your TRX.

A QRX100Q - 4 channel receiver can receive 2 signal from 2 separate mono transmitters or 4 signals from two stereo transmitters.

Adding the QIFB option adds ZaxNet capabilities to the unit giving you TC transmission, remote gain control, remote frequency change and the ability to remotely change power levels.

So it should work just fine? Sound quality-wise? Do you still recommend an RX900? 

If you are changing the gain on the TX via Zaxnet you are altering the actually input level of the TX.

You are changing the gain of the transmitter before any recording media. So the level of the recording in the TX is affected as well as all your ISO record in Nomad.

Regarding your second question - it can match - but it is going to depend.

First are you recording your ISO tracks pre or post fade.

Second if are you using the trim on your Nomad to control the gain on your TRX.

It should just be 1:1. Like...their levels ought to sync up. What I mean is that one shouldn't clip when the other has not and one shouldn't be too low when the other is not. The card tracks attenuation and NeverClip are still on so it's really more of an issue of an understandable relationship. At least that way it'll all make sense when looking at the meter for either one. 

On the other hand, the transmitter is prone to companding I guess if it overmodulates.... I dunno. Why don't you guys talk about it. 

Edited by srab1138

So it should work just fine? Sound quality-wise? Do you still recommend an RX900? 

Yes it will work - that is what it was designed to do.

Sound quality should be as good as hard wire.

The RX900 will receive signal from only one transmitter. The RX900S will receive signal from one stereo transmitter or one mono transmitter. So if you want to use two mono transmitters and just one receiver you would need to get the QRX100Q.

My personal preference is the QRX it has a bigger feature set than the RX900 for right around the same price. 

The one advantage the RX900 has is it will take internal AA batteries, The QRX will only power externally.

It should just be 1:1. Like...their levels ought to sync up. What I mean is that one shouldn't clip when the other has not and one shouldn't be too low when the other is not. The card tracks attenuation and NeverClip are still on so it's really more of an issue of an understandable relationship. At least that way it'll all make sense when looking at the meter for either one. 

On the other hand, the transmitter is prone to companding I guess if it overmodulates.... I dunno. Why don't you guys talk about it. 

The Zaxcom transmitters are compander free.

If you are running the card track attenuation that ISO tracks will be lower by the chosen attenuation. Though post can easily pull that up to match.

Yes it will work - that is what it was designed to do.

Sound quality should be as good as hard wire.

The RX900 will receive signal from only one transmitter. The RX900S will receive signal from one stereo transmitter or one mono transmitter. So if you want to use two mono transmitters and just one receiver you would need to get the QRX100Q.

My personal preference is the QRX it has a bigger feature set than the RX900 for right around the same price. 

The one advantage the RX900 has is it will take internal AA batteries, The QRX will only power externally.

The QRX100Q actually seems quite affordable. Only catch is that I'd have to have two transmitters in the same block. 

The Zaxcom transmitters are compander free.

If you are running the card track attenuation that ISO tracks will be lower by the chosen attenuation. Though post can easily pull that up to match.

Didn't know that. That's...awesome.