Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Because Zaxcom uses an actual, pure digital signal in it's UHF transmission it can use non-linear rf amplifiers. Non-linear amplifiers don't suffer from the same intermodulation issues that linear ones do.

I don't recall off-hand the recommended minimum spacing between frequencies, but it is much less than a Lectro system.

Mark O.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaxcom wireless is 100% digital. We must use linear amplification in the transmitter. These amps do not receive mix and re-transmit signals (intermoduation) to the greater extent that all FM/Hybrid wireless do. Because we only use one transmitter in stereo mode there are no intermodulation artifacts in the sound bag.

Glenn

Regarding your second question - it can match - but it is going to depend.

First are you recording your ISO tracks pre or post fade.

Second if are you using the trim on your Nomad to control the gain on your TRX.

So let's say I'm recording ISO from Tx pre fade and using the fader to control mix levels, how can I be sure the levels match up? I've dreamed somewhere there's a tone generator on the Txs...

Zaxcom wireless is 100% digital. We must use linear amplification in the transmitter. These amps do not receive mix and re-transmit signals (intermoduation) to the greater extent that all FM/Hybrid wireless do. Because we only use one transmitter in stereo mode there are no intermodulation artifacts in the sound bag.

Glenn

I stand corrected. Do other brand wireless like Lectrosonics use linear or non-linear RF amplifiers?

Mark O.

I stand corrected. Do other brand wireless like Lectrosonics use linear or non-linear RF amplifiers?

Mark O.

I'm not sure what Lectrosonics actually use, but the nature of FM transmission ALLOWS them to use non-linear amplifiers. Digital transmission, as noted above requires linear amplification.

Non-linear amplification is less power hungry.

To my knowledge all wireless that uses FM transmission use class C amps. A device called a circulator helps to keep the intermod interference down in these products. The sad part is cheap wireless transmitters often used for links do not have circulators so they create interference very easily because 2 transmitters are located close together in the sound bag.

Glenn

I saw there was a card track attenuator option, does this mean I can add gain to card tracks to prevent the editor from having to add 18db to each of my ISO tracks to make up for neverclip?

I realise this would mean that I would not be able to make full use of neverclip, but the editor has got used to me delivering tracks mixed to -10dbFS

" Digital radio microphones don't use companders  "

correct, and good morning Mr. VanWinkle...

" Which cheap transmitters are those? "

uh-oh...

looks like this thread is getting full of incorrect facts....

the idea is for all amplifiers to be linear and non-linear is what happens when an amp goes beyond some specification limit and is distorting ( aka  non-linear!)

this is physics and  2nd term electronics...

Alright, I'm having trouble with my ERX's. At first I thought it was my Zaxnet cable since it spin freely a few times and I figured it broke. I called Zax, told them the issues I'm having, and they recommended a cable swap. Well, now that the cable is swapped I'm still having the same issue. The ERX receives timecode just fine but the audio sounds terrible. The best way I can describe it is when you're on a cordless phone and you hear someone's signal kinda breaking into yours (lots of static and electronic sounding) or if you remember transmission from the Imperial Probe Droid the Rebels discovered on Hoth then it sounds a lot like that (yes, I'm geeking out).

Anyone else have this issue?

Try changing your frequency.

Check that the encryption code on your ERX is set to all zeros.

What are you routing to your ERX?

On your ZaxNet menu what is your "TX Audio Gain" set to?

The encryption code solved the issue. Strange how I didn't notice this before though. Was this something I had to do when upgrading to 4.55? I believe it was working before just fine when I was on 3.8. Either way I'm happy it works and again thankful for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to come back to the original question of the topic: Fader assign. I've got a Nomad 10 with v4.45e running. I try to set the fader assign to T for trim mode. My goal is to be able to check the channel monitors (so I see what gets recorded) but being able to adjust the levels, so that I never run the danger to clip because the trim was set to high and I didn't see it. But now only A, D, and Z are available. No T. What is wrong?

Thanks.

I would like to come back to the original question of the topic: Fader assign. I've got a Nomad 10 with v4.45e running. I try to set the fader assign to T for trim mode. My goal is to be able to check the channel monitors (so I see what gets recorded) but being able to adjust the levels, so that I never run the danger to clip because the trim was set to high and I didn't see it. But now only A, D, and Z are available. No T. What is wrong?

Thanks.

Please clarify - can you not assign you faders to act as trim knobs? Because in the fader assign matrix you should be able to toggle through A, D, Z, T.

Also when you say you want to check your "channel monitors" do you mean visually see the meters? If so do you want to see pre fade meters or a post fade mix?

No other software can create polyphonic tracks from tx recorders.

I tried for a month... the problem is every track is marked channel 1.

Unless there is a way to assign different channel numbers to each tx it would not be possible...

Zaxconvert at this time can't create a poly file.
There may be some other software that can though.

Please clarify - can you not assign you faders to act as trim knobs? Because in the fader assign matrix you should be able to toggle through A, D, Z, T.

Also when you say you want to check your "channel monitors" do you mean visually see the meters? If so do you want to see pre fade meters or a post fade mix?

1) When I toggle through, I only get the options A, D, Z. Then the field is blank again. 

2) Basically I want to see on the meters what I am recording. But there is a possibility that the input gain is set too high and the input is clipping and I don't see that on the recording levels because the post level is lower than the input. I want to prevent this from happening.

IF you are on the card screen you can see your mix tracks and your ISOs, depending on your routing. This way you can see if your pre-fade tracks are hitting the limiters/compressors. If there the outputs are your main concern there is now the card screen that includes the output 1/2 as of v4.45  or there a bouts. 

Sorry if I missed the point but a week of night shoots an all.

A great feature that could be a time saver for run and gun dslr shoots would be to have a small pre-recorded voice to vocally auto name on scratch track the take number right after the bloop slate function. It would go: record, press tc button, press menu button and then "bloop (voice) take 1".

It s a bit of a long shot feature demand but hey that d be pretty cool.

Just thinking out loud here.

No other software can create polyphonic tracks from tx recorders.

I tried for a month... the problem is every track is marked channel 1.

Unless there is a way to assign different channel numbers to each tx it would not be possible...

It s unfortunate that there is still no way to do this. It is cumberstone and risky to deliver bunch of cards.