Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

My mix is track 1. Can I put my boom (tr 7, input 6) onto 2 prefade tracks with a 10 db gain difference? I see that I can route the boom to tracks 7 & 8 but their input prefade levels are the same, even when I use the vFader to adjust input gain on the second track.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mix is track 1. Can I put my boom (tr 7, input 6) onto 2 prefade tracks with a 10 db gain difference? I see that I can route the boom to tracks 7 & 8 but their input prefade levels are the same, even when I use the vFader to adjust input gain on the second track.

The v fader, I'm guessing you mean autotrim, adjusts the input gain, so it will affect everything the input is routed to. You can only have one prefade gain level. You can route the boom to one track prefade, and one track postfade.

If you want the lower gain setting to prevent overload or limiting in case of an unexpected loud sound, I would suggest making use of the neverclip ISO feature instead.

http://wanderingear.net

not prefade - though you can do one track prefade and a post fade track that is 10dB hotter. Though that will affect your mix track.

I'm thinking I'll just loop an output of the boom alone back to an input and run very conservative peels on the initial channel and gain up the 2nd.

Thanks.

You could keep this in the digital realm by making yourself a db15 connector with jumpers connecting an AES out to an AES in. That would avoid the extra conversions and added noise.

You can also add gain with a card track compressor, and disable the compressor on the low gain track, but the added gain would go to every track you have compressors enabled on since the compressor settings are universal.

You can also add gain with a card track compressor, and disable the compressor on the low gain track, but the added gain would go to every track you have compressors enabled on since the compressor settings are universal.

The gain would only kick in if you are hitting your limiters. Which would defeat the purpose of keeping one track 10dB lower.

The gain would only kick in if you are hitting your limiters. Which would defeat the purpose of keeping one track 10dB lower.

The gain reduction kicks in when you hit the threshold, but the makeup gain should be a static value of gain added. I remember when I first got my nomad, I couldn't figure out why my tone was showing up at -17 on the meters, even though I had it set to -20 in the menu. It was because the compressors had 3DB of gain applied to the card tracks when enabled.

Could i ask what brand/model you re using?

Yes.  Transcend 400x 64gb.  I also use these as the main drive in my Deva.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-400X-Compact-Memory-TS64GCF400/dp/B002WE0QN8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369280917&sr=8-3&keywords=transcend+64gb

Otherwise, I use the Transcend 133x 32gb cards that Zaxcom recommends.

Hey I've been seeing what I think looks like a B* randomly in the area of my segment timecode/running-time.

The first time I saw this I rebooted and my track 2 suddenly was stuck at some kind of low-trim and I could barely get levels (it was set to line level input from a Lectro receiver). I rebooted a couple of times and it finally worked, although I did mess up one take before I realized my gain was incredibly low and I couldn't raise it with the pot enough. 

Anyway since then it happened a bunch of times on my very last gig, though nothing seemed to come of it after I rebooted. Although it is creepy. Note I do occasionally use a 400x Transcend 16GB card (to mirror to, tho my primary is always a 32GB Transcend 133x), and I was using one the very last time it happened (I can't remember if I used one the first time). My only theory is that this is somehow causing it. I am using firmware 5.11 and I have messed with my track names and some other settings in the menu. 

Sawrab

The B* error is a minor error that is more of a warning than an error and should not cause a crash. Most but not all B* errors are caused by Nomad writing over a deleted file. While it is not going to cause a problem to write over a deleted file you will see the error code. There are a few other rare incidents when you will see an B* error as well.

My recommendation is update to 5.16 - there are changes in the software that allows Nomad to deal better with writing over a deleted file which will omit the error code. 5.15 also adds the ability to log the errors log in the advanced menu - when you turn this on Nomad will keep track of the errors so you can see what exactly is causing the B* warning.

Sawrab

The B* error is a minor error that is more of a warning than an error and should not cause a crash. Most but not all B* errors are caused by Nomad writing over a deleted file. While it is not going to cause a problem to write over a deleted file you will see the error code. There are a few other rare incidents when you will see an B* error as well.

My recommendation is update to 5.16 - there are changes in the software that allows Nomad to deal better with writing over a deleted file which will omit the error code. 5.15 also adds the ability to log the errors log in the advanced menu - when you turn this on Nomad will keep track of the errors so you can see what exactly is causing the B* warning.

What deleted files is it overwriting? I had formatted both cards beforehand. Could it be caused by my re-mirroring segments to change filenames? 

What deleted files is it overwriting? I had formatted both cards beforehand. Could it be caused by my re-mirroring segments to change filenames?

Could be - but most likely not. There are other items that can cause the error code.

If you upgrade to 5.16 you will have the ability to log the codes to better diagnose the codes.

Could be - but most likely not. There are other items that can cause the error code.

If you upgrade to 5.16 you will have the ability to log the codes to better diagnose the codes.

Ok. I'll upgrade my firmware right away. Thanks. 

allright so i just want to share what happened to me today,

i get a email from post saying that some sound files are missing for this project. there was major technical misunderstanding so nobody dared to raise a flag before now that we re more than halfway into production...

anyway, what i discovered is that when i was naming my scene number ex: 5.28A, the DOT in the number would confuse nomad and make it not properly deliver all files on mirror card.

THANK GOD i backed up my primary card before formating it otherwise we would have lost most sound files for the project.

i talked to howy today and he said this was a bug on version 4.45e that i was running that has been fixed on 5.16.

it confirmed two things for me: first always run latest firmware version wich i didn't (bouhou me)... and secondly always backup primary card, no matter what.

cold sweats