Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

Well, I wouldn't "always" run the latest, since you could run into more issues than before, just be mindful of latest fixes. Many users don't upgrade to the latest solely because of stability. To give up the peace of mind of stability for the ability to use a period is risky for newer issues. Thankfully though, 5.16 has been very stable for many users.

Just food for thought. :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wouldn't "always" run the latest, since you could run into more issues than before, just be mindful of latest fixes. Many users don't upgrade to the latest solely because of stability. To give up the peace of mind of stability for the ability to use a period is risky for newer issues. Thankfully though, 5.16 has been very stable for many users.

Just food for thought. :)

Yeah good point, i guess it s a balance of stability vs. features

allright so i just want to share what happened to me today,

i get a email from post saying that some sound files are missing for this project. there was major technical misunderstanding so nobody dared to raise a flag before now that we re more than halfway into production...

anyway, what i discovered is that when i was naming my scene number ex: 5.28A, the DOT in the number would confuse nomad and make it not properly deliver all files on mirror card.

THANK GOD i backed up my primary card before formating it otherwise we would have lost most sound files for the project.

i talked to howy today and he said this was a bug on version 4.45e that i was running that has been fixed on 5.16.

it confirmed two things for me: first always run latest firmware version wich i didn't (bouhou me)... and secondly always backup primary card, no matter what.

cold sweats

I always keep the files on the primary until way after shooting ends, some time until the project is finished.

• 2 months later...
Any news on a selectable MS decoder in software?

From an earlier post

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Keep in mind this is only a temporary way to monitor - there will be a selectable M/S decoder in the software soon.

Any news on a selectable MS decoder in software?

From an earlier post

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Keep in mind this is only a temporary way to monitor - there will be a selectable M/S decoder in the software soon.

<grin> Shouldn't that be:  ...there will be a selectable M/S decoder in the software "soon."

I don't personally see the need for anything extra to be added to the software. Once you have set up your inputs to card tracks and headphone matrix, that's it. 

I've been doing a lot of MS recording for my recent doco job, and love the way I can quickly change the Nomad to record and monitor in MS. I literally change mics, plug the 2 XLRs from the 5 pin cable into a couple of XLR tails connected to the Nomad, enable the 2 tracks that record the MS signal and change the Headphone selector. Takes about 40 seconds. The track names are labelled as MS L and MS R and the Headphone matrix is labelled MS too. 

I've also decided, after speaking to lots of editors and directors about this, to record the decoded signal so they can monitor in stereo whilst in the edit. In the past, even though I have explained things clearly, my encoded MS recordings haven't been used properly, with the "S" signal often not included in the final OMF. Recording decoded might not be right for all projects, but for my doco's it's the right way to go.

And I know it's easy to monitor decoded MS and record encoded if that's what you want to do. 

Btw - I think the Nomad is working great at the moment. It's so flexible and self contained, that's really it's strength. 

I don't personally see the need for anything extra to be added to the software. Once you have set up your inputs to card tracks and headphone matrix, that's it. 

I've been doing a lot of MS recording for my recent doco job, and love the way I can quickly change the Nomad to record and monitor in MS. I literally change mics, plug the 2 XLRs from the 5 pin cable into a couple of XLR tails connected to the Nomad, enable the 2 tracks that record the MS signal and change the Headphone selector. Takes about 40 seconds. The track names are labelled as MS L and MS R and the Headphone matrix is labelled MS too. 

I've also decided, after speaking to lots of editors and directors about this, to record the decoded signal so they can monitor in stereo whilst in the edit. In the past, even though I have explained things clearly, my encoded MS recordings haven't been used properly, with the "S" signal often not included in the final OMF. Recording decoded might not be right for all projects, but for my doco's it's the right way to go.

And I know it's easy to monitor decoded MS and record encoded if that's what you want to do. 

Btw - I think the Nomad is working great at the moment. It's so flexible and self contained, that's really it's strength. 

Yes agreed good idea if you have the tracks to spare, but if you don't want to record the decoded MS, just the iso's, and use those decoded tracks for something else, you'd lose the MS decoded monitoring option, unless it was available in software..

As Patrick has said, you can assign the M and S inputs to card tracks without recording them, or outputs. Then set up a headphone matrix to monitor both of those card tracks,(or outputs) in both ears, but flip the phase of the "S" track in one ear. Is that not what you're after? I might be misunderstanding something - do you not want to record the MS tracks? If so why not?

Any of the headphone monitor selections can be made normal or phase inverted so MS decoding is all ready there on every MAXX. We will add a discription of the setup to the manual. No monitoring changes are planed at this time.

Glenn

Any of the headphone monitor selections can be made normal or phase inverted so MS decoding is all ready there on every MAXX. We will add a discription of the setup to the manual. No monitoring changes are planed at this time.

Glenn

So how do I phase invert in the headphone setup on a Nomad please? It's either on or off and it doesn't say in the manual.

You can phase invert a card track or an output but I can't find it for headphone monitoring.

I found this in the firmware history and tried the star key but it didn't offer phase invert in the headphone monitoring on my machine as far as I can tell?

4.54 Jan 24

fixed / changed how inverted crosspoints are made with STAR key

added Headphone inverted crosspoints option using STAR key

So how do I phase invert in the headphone setup on a Nomad please? It's either on or off and it doesn't say in the manual.

You can phase invert a card track or an output but I can't find it for headphone monitoring.

Press the star key when you're in the headphone setup page, that then gives you the option the select the "X" with a line on top of it, which is reverse phase. I think it was mentioned in the release notes of one of the updates, but not the manual.

OK thanks found it using the star key it was just that when it is selected and has a green background I cannot see the black crossbar at the top, when I move the selection off and it becomes blue I can see the black crossbar. It just looked identical to me until I de-selected it.

Nomad Lite. In the screen which you can assign the L-C-R, I assign all tracks which I use (tracks 1 to 6) to L only. I also used poly

phase recording. But why is it when I download the mirror card into the laptop and opened the tracks into "Audacity" the tracks are sent to L-C-R at randomly. And when I use only 2 tracks, 1 is assigned to L and the other to the R channel?

Bottom line is I want all my track to be sent to "one direction" only when played in Audacity (for example I want to see all tracks

in the left side only). 

Anybody help me on this. Again , this is not in the manual.

Thanks in advance.