Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far a the fader panel it is a small panel the gets mounted to the top of nomad. It has 8 rotary faders and the software allows each fader to be assigned to be used as a fader - control trim or adjust Zaxnet gain. Each fader can be assigned any function in any combination.

There are 8 dedicated pfl keys and a dedicated record key. As well an another star key for additional future functionality.

FYI the new software for the fader panel gives the mix 8 additional functionality.

As far a the fader panel it is a small panel the gets mounted to the top of nomad. It has 8 rotary faders and the software allows each fader to be assigned to be used as a fader - control trim or adjust Zaxnet gain. Each fader can be assigned any function in any combination.

There are 8 dedicated pfl keys and a dedicated record key. As well an another star key for additional future functionality.

FYI the new software for the fader panel gives the mix 8 additional functionality.

This sounds great, do you happen to know whether the additional star key you mention can be assigned to replace the star key on the main Nomad panel (between back and menu) as I've always found this position to not be as accessible as I'd like?

thanks

I installed 6.32 and now my Mix 8 doesnt work anymore. Zax is at NAB. Helpful advice anyone maybe?

probably not the kind of helpful you are looking for, but go back to the latest firmware that allowed the mix 8 to work properly - assuming that in the upgrade a menu setting hasnt changed. and a factory reset doesnt work either.

6.32 works with mix-8. There is a new and better way to assign faders. Go to the external faders menu. It is a new menu above fader assign.

You can assign any channel to any fader. Great for people using AES 3/4 5/6 7/8 where 7/8 is your 1/2.

Also I just told Glenn to tell howy to make Fader assign presets.

On my cart I use nomad knobs for zaxnet gain and when I jump off my cart I have to reassign them to normal gain stage control one by one.

Fader assign presets will be great...

2 quick questions.

1 - I just upgraded my Lite to a 10 (What took me so long? rhetorical) and now I can no longer record out 5 or 6 whereas I could on the Lite. Is that true? Am I missing something in the Bus matrix? What is up with that? 

2 - Prior to upgrading to 10 I installed new firmware, 6.22 to be exact, which includes a new Bootloader, V17. I burned the new bootloader but then I saw a post by Jack that says this was for a change in the parts on newer models. Mine is from 1.5 years ago. Did I do a bad thing? I have scoured the Zaxcom forum with no success.

Bonus third question for extra credit - 

I was under the impression that updating the bootloader was a good thing. Perhaps no?

i only ever remember being able to select output 1-4 to record, so that may well be a difference between in the firmware for the 2 machines. i have a nomad 12. but will switch my machine on shortly to double check.

I'm curious though, are you needing to record all 6 outputs that you need this? or how are you set up?

has burning the new bootloader affected anything? would hope that it will work fine with older revision hardware with no ill effect.

Thanks for the quick response Marc and Rich.

Let me lay out a quick scenario. 1 Boom and 4 wires. 

Boom on Output 1 or 3 - Armed for recording.

Lavs recorded on iso 2-5. Out on 2 and/or 4 

Sometimes I need to send 2 stereo mixes

So I put the Auto Mix on Out 6, just to keep it out the way and send it to ERXs.

Suppose I want to arm Out 6 for recording. That would only be 6 tracks recorded max.

I am curious because the Matrix is lined up for Vertically for Card Tracks and Horizontally for Busses. Just curious why I can record literally everything else, even Slate and Com, but not 5/6. Is this option available on the 12. Why was it an option on the Lite?

That is all. Just curious, not complaining. The Nomad is one hell of a machine.

2 quick questions.

1 - I just upgraded my Lite to a 10 (What took me so long? rhetorical) and now I can no longer record out 5 or 6 whereas I could on the Lite. Is that true? Am I missing something in the Bus matrix? What is up with that? 

2 - Prior to upgrading to 10 I installed new firmware, 6.22 to be exact, which includes a new Bootloader, V17. I burned the new bootloader but then I saw a post by Jack that says this was for a change in the parts on newer models. Mine is from 1.5 years ago. Did I do a bad thing? I have scoured the Zaxcom forum with no success.

Bonus third question for extra credit - 

I was under the impression that updating the bootloader was a good thing. Perhaps no?

You can record 5 and 6 - don't have a machine with me to see how exactally - if I get a moment at show later I will post.

No worries about the boot loader - you are not going to do any damage.

Bonus - it depends. If it was necessary Howy will tell us it is necessary. But it is unlikely that current machines will ever have to update the bootloader