Zaxcom Nomad - operating questions, plus tips & shortcuts

Jack Norflus

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just curious how accurately one can set the input gains. I recently bought a Soundfield SPS200 mic which likes to have it's four capsules set to the same gain for proper decoding in the associated software. Does the Nomad show numeric gain levels when adjusting?

Another questions is can channels be linked so that one fader adjusts two or more channels, either input, output, or card levels?

Mark O.

has anyone been seeing TC sync issues when jamming TC from nomad? i only get a sync error warning on nomad 23.98 and nomad 29.97. other nomad frame rates are fine. my denecke TS-C shows 'sync err 24' when jamming from nomad 23.98 about 75% of the time. so i put the slate in AUTO and when it does sync without an error it says 'sync 23'. it shows 'sync err 30' when jamming from nomad 29.97NDF. after an error mssg i'm seeing noticable drift within less than an hour. of course these are the only TC frame rates i ever use and they both are screwy, leaving me no option but to use radios (one TX and two RX's) to send TC from nomad to slate and camera.

as a test i jammed a denecke sync box as a buffer from nomad then jammed other device(s) from it and i get the same result.

has anyone been seeing TC sync issues when jamming TC from nomad?

It sounds like you are trying to cross jam straight TC rates with 1/1000th offset TC rates. The TSC understands that they are incompatible and displays the error message. With the Nomad set to 23.98 you should have the TSC rotary switch set to position 4 (23), position 1 (29) for 29.97. Straight TC rates of 24 (position 3) and 30 (position 0) are usually only used with film. The Nomad would correspondingly be set to 24 and 30.

Mark O.

my dealer has very kindly lent me a nomad for a few days to look over and have some questions that hopefully people who have one already can answer, but i will also post this on the deva group as there are some questions that i think only zaxcom will be able to answer. the nomad is a nomad 12 with 2.46

in the order i wrote them down in.

1. whilst i can pan tracks between out 1&2 from the home screen, if i assign all my inputs to card tracks 1&2 with the intention of recording a backup of the mix i would send to camera, the pan assignment is not reflected in the card tracks. i have read Jack Norflus's explanation that this is because the home screen page is just a shortcut to the output routing. is there something that i am missing, or is it something that might happen with a future software upgrade.

2. i couldnt get my super cmit to appear. i got it powered up - the lights were on on the mic. in fader assign i tried various combinations of input 1 and input 2 and fader 1 and fader 2 set to D but could get nothing to appear on any meter.

when looking at the auto trim, fader 1 showed input 11, fader 2 showed indig2. i know from my dealer that someone else had come in and used his super cmit with the machine, i believe with the same cable he supplied to me, though ill have to check that, but the machine was running 2.20.

3. it says in the preliminary manual that home screens can be preset to menu+com and menu+slt, though Jack explains it as more of a parking system, but i have found that if i then press the * key to see other screens, the menu+slt page is forgotten, so hopefully thereis or will be a better way to store these 2 shortcuts - i ilke to have the pan page and the disk page handy.

4.the card mix pages dont seem to allow me to assign all the inputs to all tracks, which means that if have my radio mics into the return inputs, i cant assign them to tracks 1-4 and return 3&4 can only be assigned to track 9 and above.

and, in the card mix9-12 page, there are o1-o4 but i cant seem to assign them to a track. i hoped that they might be output1-4 and would allow me to record the same mix i am sending to camera. if that is the case, i would like to be able to record the output tracks to card tracks 1&2 so they are the topmost tracks when they appear in the edit.

5. is there a way to set the headphone warning tones and start stop tones so that it is not 1KHz tone. i know that the software has changed so that you have to press tone for 1.5seconds to activate tone, but when i hear 1KHz tone I instinctively think its been touched.

6. in the preliminary manual, it mentions switching off the for the internal batteries if you have to use non rechargeables. is this a software switch or an internal switch accessed at the factory. hopefully this is a software switch that will be added later. otherwise you are committed to one either disposable internal or rechargeables and no quick way to switch between, which may not be an option in emergencies.

7. the metadata page doesnt seem to reset the take when i change the scene, which the preliminary manual claims it should - an di had hoped it would. also, i think it would be helpful if the edit segment defaulted to the last segment rather than the first as it would make it easier to edit the data for the next segment.

though hopefully soon the option to make the slate and take the file name will be available soon.

i think thats all for now. at least until i get to use it on a job.

thanks

rich

there was something else i just remembered.

in the preliminary manual it shows an aux card menu that is not shown on the machine i have which would allow me to use a micro sd card (it has a slot just below the primary card) i assume this will be enabled in a future update. i am guessing that this is the card that MP3 files will be written to, but i hope that i can mirror WAV files to it if needed.

for example,

on the primary card, i record a backup of what i send to camera and iso's

on the mirror card i have the iso's to hand in to post just in case they need it

on the 3rd card the mix tracks to hand in at the end of the day

thanks for reply. i'm aware of everything you mention and suspect that the tc from nomad is faulty. no matter now, my battery sled just exploded and nomad is DEAD. luckily i have time to set up a boom recorder rig before the first shot. (!!!!)

(null)

Whoa, that's not good. What kind of batteries were you using internally? They recommend not using anything but rechargeables in the battery sled. I had alkalines in mine just for training purposes and they got very hot. After contacting the factory they said not to use alkalines at all.

Bernie

The Nomad time code out is fine. At some TC rates Deneke slates show an error because the Deva, Fusion and Nomad time code outputs use bit times that adverage to the exact frame rate selected over a period of time. The Deneke only wants to see a constant bit rate and sees our variable bits as an error. All other time code readers have no problem with our code at all rates.

Glenn

has anyone been seeing TC sync issues when jamming TC from nomad? i only get a sync error warning on nomad 23.98 and nomad 29.97. other nomad frame rates are fine. my denecke TS-C shows 'sync err 24' when jamming from nomad 23.98 about 75% of the time. so i put the slate in AUTO and when it does sync without an error it says 'sync 23'. it shows 'sync err 30' when jamming from nomad 29.97NDF. after an error mssg i'm seeing noticable drift within less than an hour. of course these are the only TC frame rates i ever use and they both are screwy, leaving me no option but to use radios (one TX and two RX's) to send TC from nomad to slate and camera.

as a test i jammed a denecke sync box as a buffer from nomad then jammed other device(s) from it and i get the same result.

Whoa, that's not good. What kind of batteries were you using internally? They recommend not using anything but rechargeables in the battery sled. I had alkalines in mine just for training purposes and they got very hot. After contacting the factory they said not to use alkalines at all.

Bernie

tell me about it!! i'm on set now and seriously distraught w this situation. the batteries were alkaline. if using them could KILL the machine by discharging acid into the inside of the chassis, you'd think i would have heard about it. if it's that fatal seems like a warning or something would be printed on the battery door. i read the manual several times and read these threads thoroughly and just didn't know. oh well. i'll be fedex'ing it back to NJ on monday. it wont boot at all. major bummer.

hopefully this can be a WARNING to other users.

i'm covered for now, i'm on a night shoot where i don't need to be mobile. i have a metric halo 2882 and a mac book pro that'll get me thru the job but next week i'll have to rent something for the bag jobs that are booked. really regretting selling my 552 right now.

The Nomad time code out is fine. At some TC rates Deneke slates show an error because the Deva, Fusion and Nomad time code outputs use bit times that adverage to the exact frame rate selected over a period of time. The Deneke only wants to see a constant bit rate and sees our variable bits as an error. All other time code readers have no problem with our code at all rates.

Glenn

thanks glenn, good to know.

I included the alkiline battery warning from the manual below. Please send it back and we will service it right away.

Glenn

Powering Nomad

Nomad is designed to be powered from external DC voltage. A nominal voltage of 12 volts is recommended. The unit will draw approximately 500 milliamps at 12 volts. The maximum allowable input voltage is 18 volts. Nomad’s internal battery functions as an un-interruptible power source. If internal batteries are loaded, six nickel metal hydride or lithium batteries are mandatory as the internal power source.

Never use alkaline batteries in the Nomad. They will only last a few minutes and they will get very hot.

tell me about it!! i'm on set now and seriously distraught w this situation. the batteries were alkaline. if using them could KILL the machine by discharging acid into the inside of the chassis, you'd think i would have heard about it. if it's that fatal seems like a warning or something would be printed on the battery door. i read the manual several times and read these threads thoroughly and just didn't know. oh well. i'll be fedex'ing it back to NJ on monday. it wont boot at all. major bummer.

hopefully this can be a WARNING to other users.

i'm covered for now, i'm on a night shoot where i don't need to be mobile. i have a metric halo 2882 and a mac book pro that'll get me thru the job but next week i'll have to rent something for the bag jobs that are booked. really regretting selling my 552 right now.

So.... I still sit and wait for everything to get "straightened out" before considering one of these puppies..... It seems like there is still a way to go.... This baby is still young and growing... a great machine, but still in it's infancy...

As all of my TC devices and slates are Denecke, are we saying here that either:

A ) I will need to get new devices...

B ) Updates will allow me to keep from buying all new TC slates and generators or

C ) you can fly with the Denecke devices and ignore the sync error warnings.....

Clarify if possible ...?

pscottm:

Probably not a good idea to get rid of any gear right away and leave yourself exposed..... always have a few dedicated recorders and mixers on hand .... especially with NEW technology...

has anyone been seeing TC sync issues when jamming TC from nomad? i only get a sync error warning on nomad 23.98 and nomad 29.97. other nomad frame rates are fine. my denecke TS-C shows 'sync err 24' when jamming from nomad 23.98 about 75% of the time. so i put the slate in AUTO and when it does sync without an error it says 'sync 23'. it shows 'sync err 30' when jamming from nomad 29.97NDF.

You can ignore the warnings - and sync will be fine.

whilst i can pan tracks between out 1&2 from the home screen, if i assign all my inputs to card tracks 1&2 with the intention of recording a backup of the mix i would send to camera, the pan assignment is not reflected in the card tracks. i have read Jack Norflus's explanation that this is because the home screen page is just a shortcut to the output routing. is there something that i am missing, or is it something that might happen with a future software upgrade.

There will be new software that will allow you to record an output bus.

Also not sure you are aware of this but you can go into the mode menu and add output buses 3/4 and 5/6 to follow the pan assignment.

i couldnt get my super cmit to appear. i got it powered up - the lights were on on the mic. in fader assign i tried various combinations of input 1 and input 2 and fader 1 and fader 2 set to D but could get nothing to appear on any meter.

when looking at the auto trim, fader 1 showed input 11, fader 2 showed indig2. i know from my dealer that someone else had come in and used his super cmit with the machine, i believe with the same cable he supplied to me, though ill have to check that, but the machine was running 2.20.

Try going into the Input configuration menu and change the confuguration.

the card mix pages dont seem to allow me to assign all the inputs to all tracks, which means that if have my radio mics into the return inputs, i cant assign them to tracks 1-4 and return 3&4 can only be assigned to track 9 and above.

and, in the card mix9-12 page, there are o1-o4 but i cant seem to assign them to a track. i hoped that they might be output1-4 and would allow me to record the same mix i am sending to camera. if that is the case, i would like to be able to record the output tracks to card tracks 1&2 so they are the topmost tracks when they appear in the edit.

The card tracks aren't infinitely routeable. Direct routing of output tracks to card tracks will be coming with a software update.

in the preliminary manual, it mentions switching off the for the internal batteries if you have to use non rechargeables. is this a software switch or an internal switch accessed at the factory. hopefully this is a software switch that will be added later. otherwise you are committed to one either disposable internal or rechargeables and no quick way to switch between, which may not be an option in emergencies.

It is a software switch - and it hasn't been enabled yet.

the metadata page doesnt seem to reset the take when i change the scene, which the preliminary manual claims it should - an di had hoped it would. also, i think it would be helpful if the edit segment defaulted to the last segment rather than the first as it would make it easier to edit the data for the next segment.

though hopefully soon the option to make the slate and take the file name will be available soon.

There is additional work being done to the meta data entry.

is there a way to set the headphone warning tones and start stop tones so that it is not 1KHz tone. i know that the software has changed so that you have to press tone for 1.5seconds to activate tone, but when i hear 1KHz tone I instinctively think its been touched.

No. Though it would be an easy software update.

in the preliminary manual it shows an aux card menu that is not shown on the machine i have which would allow me to use a micro sd card (it has a slot just below the primary card) i assume this will be enabled in a future update. i am guessing that this is the card that MP3 files will be written to, but i hope that i can mirror WAV files to it if needed.

for example,

on the primary card, i record a backup of what i send to camera and iso's

on the mirror card i have the iso's to hand in to post just in case they need it

on the 3rd card the mix tracks to hand in at the end of the day

The aux menu is not visable on current software because it is not actavated yet. The Aux record menu controls the USB / micro card recording functions for Nomad 8 and 12. And you should be able to choose to record at either WAV or MP3