R.I.P. Gene Cantamesa

WhyOne

Received this sad news just a few moments ago from the Local 695 office...

"It is with great sadness that I contact you to let you know that Sandy

Cantamessa called today to notify us that Gene Cantamessa passed away

around 2:43 p.m.

Gene's family will let us know the details of his memorial services shortly.

Best regards,

Elizabeth Alvarez"

Gino will be missed by many. He was the real deal.

Jay

I remember appearing on a SMPTE.sound panel with Gene some years ago. We dissagreed about some point or other, rather spiritedly as I remember. But several weels later, he recommended me to one of his "regulars" for a show that he was unable to do.

However, I don't think Gene will Rest In Peace -- he'll be too busy recording God and the Angels.

I just heard of Gino's passing. He's always been the total, real deal - an assured, classy, fun-loving professional - but he also helped me, a newbie, with advice; and was the best of best on 695's E-Board for three tumultuous decades. Many condolences to Steve and their family. Stand strong, Gino - we're missing you.

-- Glenn Berkovitz, CAS

When I started out, Gino was the man. He was always on the biggest shows at that time. I have a great pic of Speilberg literally sitting at Gino's feet. As mentioned, he was always very generous with his time and I often stopped by his sets for advice. My favorite was when he told he always ended each job interview meeting with the line "good luck on your picture if you don't use me, I'm sure it will work out for you anyway."

Gino walked it like he talked it, all his life. My Dad once told me a story about when he worked with him on a show in San Franciso. They were on the docks and the key grip was ragging on sound, so Gino walked over to him and suddenly grabbed the grips hammer and threw it into the bay and said "what do you have to say now?"

He continued to give freely of his time long after retirement as Gino stayed active in local 695 and I spent many years on the board and IA Conventions sitting next to him.

When Steve won the Academy Award, I called his house and his dad answered. No one could have been more proud of a son!

My heart goes out to his beautiful wife, Sandy. I spoke with his son Steve a few times near the end when Steve stopped working to stay at Gino's side for months. That spoke volumes of their relationship and it shows through in the co-interview I did with them last year. You can read it at http://www.coffeysou...picture/CFS.pdf

We just lost one the really, really good guys.

John Coffey

Ken Segal tells a great story about Gene stopping by the set of "Profiler" once. He watches as Ken mixes 6 radio mics, contending with wide and tight cameras and difficult quiet actors.

Gene commented he still mixed with a 4-channel mixer. Ken curiously asked what Gene would do in this case - to which Gene replied, "I wouldn't do this show."

knew Gene my whole career. He and Dave Wolpa had a walkie business together and I used to get my walkies from him in the old days when the mixer used to have to do that. I have the utmost respect for a guy that can do it as long as he did. My sincere condolences to the entire Cantamesa family and I know Gene was so proud of Steve following in his footsteps. His smile and wisdom will certainly be missed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Gene Cantamesa, the sound mixer. I did get a chance to meet a guy named Gene while standing in line at Performance Products, an aftermarket and factory parts dealer for Mercedes and Porsches. While waiting for service the gentleman in front of me turned and saw me holding something he recognized as coming from a Porsche, and with that we entered into a long conversation about our mutual love of Porsches and the cars, that Gene had driven, and the one Porsche that I owned at the time.

He couldn't have been nicer and with a clever sense of humor, as we walked out of the store I saw the silver Porsche Boxster that he was driving and had been talking about, I can't recall what his license plate said but it was something "sound" related. As we stood in the parking lot, admiring each other's car, I asked him if he was a sound mixer and was he by any chance Gene Cantamesa? He was retired at the time, and we only spoke briefly about the fact that we were both sound mixers.

Truly a great career that spanned the ending of the studio system and he worked during the time that mixers became basically "free agents."

We all know that he passed along his love of the sound industry to his son Steve, who is one of the "first call" mixers of his generation with a remarkable body of work himself. Maybe the greatest example of this passing of the torch, both Father and Son have won Best Sound Academy Awards.

Maybe some day I'll have a chance to meet Steve at some Porsche event or parts store, I'll look forward to that day.

Godspeed Geno,

There's actually a space between the words?

I stand corrected.

David

Oh, if I'm going to use up bandwidth on such foolishness, I ought to at least share a memory.

I never had the pleasure of working with Gino on a set and haven't served on the Board of Local 695 so I really encountered him very little. But, when I was testing mixing panels, I performed several comparative listening sessions. I conducted one of those in the conference room at the Local 695 offices.

I was having some difficulty at the time. The board didn't seem to have nearly the headroom that I would expect and was regularly being trounced by an old Cooper board. I was puzzled and casting about for another set of ears to confirm my impressions. (After a lot of critical listening, it's easy to get played out.) Just then Gene Cantamess wandered in looking for Jim Osburn. I collared him and drafted him for the task. I think I may actually have taken him by the elbow and pulled him into the room. He was a good sport and confirmed my impressions in about 1/8 second of listening. There was no question about him instantly knowing exactly what he was hearing.

Wish I had a better anecdote but it's the best I can do.

[Edited - the first pass was too much about me and not enough about Gino. Maybe that's still true but less now.]

David

Edited by David Waelder

Thanks Jay and David, "LOOP IT" that was it, what a great example of Gene's personality. Thanks for reminding me.

To David, never apologize for remembrances, sometimes that's all we have to attempt to construct who this person might have been. The one thing that struck me, in reading everyone else's remembrances, was that this was a man of great character, with not one negative thing said about him.

Cheers,

Rich