Boom pole travel bag/case

saadasound

I made mine out of ABS pipe available at any home improvement warehouse.

It's just like the PVC stuff only black and a tad lighter.

The black ABS looks more like worn carbon fiber rather

than plumbing scraps.

If your set on the soft case, I know a few folks that are happy with

Orvis fly fishing rod holders.

Glen

I've been trying to find the Petrol PBP-2 soft case for boom poles, but I'm not having any luck. Anyone know of any around, new/used, and if not, if there's another solution?

Steve,

Versa- Flex has a few boom pole soft cases- check out model # BPB.42S. and rode has a boom pole bag as well.

Frank-

A few months ago I got a 'White River Fly Shop Rod Tube' from Bass Pro Shops- Real nice!

"1000 denier Cordura® material over a tough PVC protective tube. These lightweight, airplane friendly rod tubes are outfitted with YKK zippers, and are lined with nylon for additional padding."

6 sizes, from 29" to 60" (2.5" id) ($23-25 cheap)

See this and other posts on the boom pole cases from a few months ago:

http://jwsoundgroup....__fromsearch__1post-1774-0-58555300-1316374482.jpg

If it doesn't need to be a soft case I would suggest using PVC pipe with a glued cap on one end and a screw cap on the other. I put some foam on both ends that makes it a tight fit and keeps it from rattling around.

It has been a perfect solution for me.

Andy

+1

For a few dollars at a home improvement store you can have a boom pole case that you can literally run over. And yes I did have someone run over my boom pole in the PVC case and no damage was done to the case or pole.

If it doesn't need to be a soft case I would suggest using PVC pipe with a glued cap on one end and a screw cap on the other. I put some foam on both ends that makes it a tight fit and keeps it from rattling around.

It has been a perfect solution for me.

Andy

+1

Shipped mine around the world this way. No mishaps, and avaiable at a Home Depot near you for just a few bucks. I use a narrower PVC for rigidity, so it's a bit longer than the pole and the connector rests on top.

A good friend got a very cool fishing rod holder to ship his poles. A bit more expensive, but very nice.

So Home Depot actually has PVC holders made for something that works with boom poles, or would I have to make it? If so, not a problem, but whats the best way to get the foam inside the piping?

Take one of these, cut to length:

611942066643xl.jpg

add a

611942038596xl.jpg

and a

611942032006xl.jpg

and don't forget a

611942032549xl.jpg

Add some of this:

038753310183xl.jpg

Boom! (holder)

Get some 1" foam from walmart or your favorite vendor, cut it, roll it and insert.

I use a Petrol boom sleeve that someone gave me.

So Home Depot actually has PVC holders made for something that works with boom poles, or would I have to make it? If so, not a problem, but whats the best way to get the foam inside the piping?

Steve,

The only foam you really need is a chunk (high density) in the bottom, and then a piece to wrap around the top of the pole(s)... (I carry multiple poles in one pipe) secure the top piece with a couple of hair-ties, or velcro cable ties and Robert's your mother's brother. Just make sure the diameter of the wrapped pole(s) doesn't exceed the interior diameter of the pipe.

~tt

I have one boom pole in a fishing rod case and one in a PVC pipe (as Andy described above). The PVC is definitely really tough, and amazingly cheap. I actually used a rubber cap for the bottom that I found in the same aisle. Didn't need to cram in foam for the bottom. Top cap is threaded. I have not yet attached a shoulder strap or handle. I was thinking pop rivets holding D-rings so I could remove the strap for airline use.

If you are just carrying a boom on the subway, it may be a bit of overkill. You could always look at fishing pole carriers, or art supply store for the cases architects use to carry blueprints. Either would probably have a lot of options with shoulder straps etc.

• 4 years later...
46 minutes ago, thunderfm said:

Gator cases do this product. I'm going to try it with my doc pole, boom stand and use the top pocket for a boom buddy.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/25184-126/gx-33

Nice - I've been looking into travel friendly boom stands to pair with my boom buddy for sit down interviews. What have you been using?