I got to work with the biggest microphone in the world...

Brandon Pert

This is an interstitial I sound mixed a few months ago. I thought you guys would get a kick out of the giant microphone. I rigged up a MKH-50 wirelessly in it, as well as a couple COS-11's. We were shooting with about 8 cameras, so boom was a bit far out of the frame and out of the question. Pardon the 30 second commerical at the beginning...

This is an interstitial I sound mixed a few months ago. I thought you guys would get a kick out of the giant microphone. I rigged up a MKH-50 wirelessly in it, as well as a couple COS-11's. We were shooting with about 8 cameras, so boom was a bit far out of the frame and out of the question. Pardon the 30 second commerical at the beginning...

Fun! Thanks for sharing.

I think I can top that although without pictures.

I worked for a London based TV channel in the 60's

Although based in a studio crew and operating Fisher booms I did the odd attachment to one of our 4 OB crews mainly sport.

We had our own design of radio mikes in those days but they were not remarkable.

For football matches the way to get ball fx was not on the sideline but using a directional mike on the roof of the main stand.

The microphone was an ElectroVoice dynamic about 5 feet long and about 6 inches in diameter in its foam cover.

Guess who operated this monster mounted on a tripod for the whole game, keeping it pointed on the ball???

Great days but so less techno as anything nowadays!

I still laugh about this.

mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In theory not a true mic.... but not a bad substitute.

http://www.andrewgra...ocations/denge/

Grant

Awesome! I'd love to read up about how these got deployed. Grant this link is supercool how did you find out about these?!

I like the video, especially the sugar guy. This is cool Mr. "bpert" thanks for sharing. Now how about sharing your name?

Mike West - WOW! I'da loved to see that. THAT mic should be in the sound museum...

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@mikewest - I'd love to hear recordings of that monster. It must have been a real work out tracking the ball for a whole game.

@grob - Very cool! Those remind me of these cement radar shaped dishes in the Baltimore, MD in the inner harbor just north of the Science Center. They are spaced a ways apart and yet two people can whisper to each other and they act as "sound mirrors".

@Scott Smith - Your mic is bigger than my mic! Would love to hear some recordings from that beast. :D

@Izen Ears - I introduced myself to the forum a ways back but I'm Brandon Pert nice to meet you!