Schoolin': Sound Engineering

Edmond Smith

Hey everyone! Recently I have made up my mind, or re-made up my mind, that after I graduate in April from Brooks with my BFA I would like to pursue a masters in Audio Engineering.

Can anyone recommend a great institution? Preferably a small community, never liked the huge campus with "clicks" rather than a family, and in Ca, don't mind traveling, but it's convenient to live with mom and not pay rent.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks,

Edmond Smith!

Depending what you are looking to get out of this - I would consider an internship, or a low pay entry level job. You get on the job training in real world situations while making contacts, that are already established. Plus even if you are working for free - you are acquiring no debt in regard to student loans.

Welp, from the moment I wake up to the process I go to sleep I listen to music and love how its character changes in different environments. When looking at speakers I really want to know about, not just the design, but the placement as well.

I would love to learn the science of it all. I would consider on the job training, but I'm not so sure how much of what I wish to learn I will get on production. (in regards of the above)

Always up for new insights though!

If it is speaker placement and construction and the like then studying electrical engineering, acoustics, and physics is the route you should go. Music mixing, production sound mixing, and the various aspects to post production audio all have some overlap but there are some large differences as well. Now, that's not to say you can't start off studying and working in one of those specialties and then switch to another but you will learn their differences and similarities by working on projects.

It's hard to know what you don't know when you don't know it. Spoken by someone who doesn't know about a whole lot of things, and that I do know.

I suspect you will find that " a masters in Audio Engineering " isn't what you think it is

I've been proven wrong before. Just needed a starting point.

I do know it's all math and I do not really expect it to increase my chances of getting hired, ok I did for a small %, but mostly I just want to know more about what I love. Thanks for the positive inputs everyone! Got some diggin' around to do!

Ok,

I have a question to those of you who went to school for sound:

Did it really increase your chances of getting a job and has it gotten you noticed and gotten you more jobs than those people who didn't have a Doctorate in Sound?

I have a degree from Berklee. The only time that piece of paper made a difference in the job field was when I got a job as an instructor. From what I understand, it made a difference, but they didn't offer me more money or a full-time job, so go figure....$$$$$ ???

On a personal level, it did help me have confidence that I could really learn what I needed to know once I got into the professional world of studio engineering. But it was the 90s, and those jobs were more readily available.

I would advise to find a professional that can tutor you and spend some of the money you would spend on audio schooling towards the type of equipment that would propel you forward.

Good luck!! There is always work for really hardworking people with a good attitude.

Not trying to be an a-hole, jus' tryin' to help a brotha out! Brooks is a photography school, it's not known for it's english classes. I should know.

Rumpelstiltskin

Well, RumpelstiltMirror <i.e. person who lacks the fortitude to use his/her real name>, since you're setting yourself up as the linguistics patrol, the possessive form of the word "it" does not merit an apostrophe. "It's" means "it is" while the possessive form is simply "its." I guess your "Brooks education" is showing.

To the OP: do you like learning in an academic environment? Are you a good student, ie good at being a student? Many of us in this field were NOT terribly good at academic studies, and found practical, on the job training (and self-education) suited us better. I'd decide if school is how you want to learn first, followed by whether this degree will help you get the work you want, followed by where the people you admire were educated, how and my whom. Good luck.

phil p

Does having a degree help?

It depends, but I would say, an audio engineering degree has helped me. You learn things like signal flow, microphones, and a bunch of other stuff that will help you. Many post places require that you either be a student, or have a degree to even intern these days.

I have reason to believe that a degree doesn't help - though I don't speak from experience. I only know because I've asked a handful of sound designers and mixers and the response above.

I didn't go to a school and learned on the job via hard work and mistakes (luckily no job-losing mistakes :) ). There's pros and cons to both methods, I guess.

But, if there was a "Lapel and Radio Mic Placement 101", I would gladly attend that.

Does having a degree help?

It depends, but I would say, an audio engineering degree has helped me. You learn things like signal flow, microphones, and a bunch of other stuff that will help you. Many post places require that you either be a student, or have a degree to even intern these days.

What post places are those? I've never heard of a post house being much impressed by anything but industry credits and a client list....

phil p