Schoolin': Sound Engineering

Edmond Smith

To the OP: do you like learning in an academic environment? Are you a good student, ie good at being a student? Many of us in this field were NOT terribly good at academic studies, and found practical, on the job training (and self-education) suited us better. I'd decide if school is how you want to learn first, followed by whether this degree will help you get the work you want, followed by where the people you admire were educated, how and my whom. Good luck.

phil p

I'm getting better at being a student and. I guess, like the flow of my current academic progress and want to go further in to a much more specific learning experience. Independent studies, or tagging along someone would be probably be a better option, maybe even more beneficial. I know I have much more to learn about acoustics and electronic designs and specs. I'm just unsure if I can get a more technical education for some things if I attended a class or school.

Thanks Phil! and everyone else. It's replies like these that make me SO happy to have been steered to JW!

Well, RumpelstiltMirror <i.e. person who lacks the fortitude to use his/her real name>, since you're setting yourself up as the linguistics patrol, the possessive form of the word "it" does not merit an apostrophe. "It's" means "it is" while the possessive form is simply "its." I guess your "Brooks education" is showing.

Well you got me there. Hoisted up by my own petard. Well, not completely true. My first response was a playful jab, much like you have with a buddy on a set. It wasn't meant to injure anybody let alone a fellow alumni. Unfortunately someone got his panties in a wad and started calling another an asshole. As to why I use an alias, why does it matter to you? I'll explain myself on this subject in a new thread.

Guy Fawkes

PS. I do know the difference between it's and its. It was a typo but a good catch by you.

...My first response was a playful jab, much like you have with a buddy on a set...

...As to why I use an alias, why does it matter to you?...

So, to answer your question:

If I were hanging out with someone (and I agree, that's a big part of what we're about here), and they wouldn't give me their name, I'd figure they either had something to hide or be ashamed of, or perhaps I should just be insulted that they figure I'm not important enough for them to be bothered to tell me their name.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, so what heinous crime did you commit and what do we tell the authorities when they come looking for you? All the gory details should make interesting reading. <g>

It's not an either/or. In fact, if you're any good, you'll keep on learning throughout your career... from mentors and also from academic sources. And don't forget books - there are a bunch of good ones on sound for film - and websites. (Some sites are primarily discussion, like this one... but there are others with an incredible library of archived articles.)

Based on your OP, however... if you're considering school, look into one that's based on a "Tonmeister" program. You'll get a lot of ear training and music theory, plus physics. Much better than merely learning how to work certain equipment or do a specific job function. And it'll help you weather the inevitable technology changes.

FWIW, essay on some of your options for learning this business at http://www.dv.com/article/15066

Ha ha whatta great thread! Mr. Mirror I'm happy to see you fess up, with all the shit you've talked it's about time.

But here's something: I've always wanted to know how electronic things work and I always figured I should go back to school for electronics, or electrical engineering or something. I also am interested in the physiology of hearing, so I guess that would be some kind of medical program. Then I want to fuse the two together and make cyborg ears that would give everyone 20Hz - 21kHz hearing, and restore hearing to deaf people.

I think if everyone could actually hear all those freqs, my current job would be more valued and therefore easier!

Dan Izen

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to use a 1/4 of that cash, find yourself a professional mentor that will give you on the job training and experience, or get a masters in something more general if you must. As for having ultra sonic hearing.... what good is that when the general audience doesn't hear beyond 16k? Isn't our job supposed to make things sound good for the general audience?

Frankly, if your goal is to work in the industry, I'd forget the masters and simply get out there working.

If your goal is to teach, the masters makes sense. ......... not so much otherwise.

Realistically though, you really haven't given enough details for folks to offer advice (which of course doesn't mean folks won't offer it!).

..........in other words, what exactly do you want to wind up doing in order that you're happy with your chosen occupation?

To the OP Edmond, go for it and follow your dreams! I have plenty of friends with Masters degrees and some of them end up working in different fields than the one that they studied but that is the great thing about life, who knows where you will be in 1 year or let alone 5 to 10 years down the road. There are a lot of different paths to chose in the audio field if that is where you end up. If you end up as a location mixer down the road, I look forward to hearing your work.

On the other subject, Mirror, hang tough - I like to see the feathers get ruffled from time to time and I have no issue with you not posting your name.

I went to OIART (Ontario Institue of Audio Recording Technology) and would definitely do it again. Sure I could have just gone out into the world knowing things I read on the internet, which have a high likelihood of being wrong or impractical, but the experience of school and the knowledge you gain,especially in the fields you didn't even think you'd be into, were definitely worth it. I went out to get a job confident in my skills and knowledge and couldn't be happier with my descision. Hope that helps!

On the other subject, Mirror, hang tough - I like to see the feathers get ruffled from time to time and I have no issue with you not posting your name.

I have no problem with anyone wanting to remain anonymous for whatever reason one has as long as they aren't being rude or putting someone down which I think Mirror was concerning Edmond and the OP. "If" I was wrong and it sounded like that only to me than I would apologize and not refer to Mirror as an asshole. But if I was right, then I think it is less than brave to hide behind a handle and not own up to your statement. We went through this topic of remaining anonymous 4 or 5 years ago. I think the consensus was handles can be fun but credibility comes with a real name. I use both myself. When I singed up on opening day in 2006 I chose old school because I liked the sound of it and thought it best described my POV. I have never hidden the fact that my name is Crew Chamberlain.

Hey RVD, I'm glad you were an adult and reached out to Mirror. I'm too lazy sometimes to grow to up. I have some sympathy with Mirrors fear, but that is a jail of ones own making.

Back to the OP... Edmond was asking for opinions/suggestions and he got the full spectrum available to him IMO. Whatever road you travel Mr Blacksmith, do so with energy and purpose. Search for the future, enjoy the now, own your past.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

"General audience doesn't hear beyond 16K?"

typical adult human hearing rarely makes it that high in frequency. teens and young adults = maybe.

I hear 16K still. But.. I'm a young adult.

Famous joke from a pro music mixer I apprenticed under:

"What triangle?"

hehe

On hearing beyond 16K;

A postprod fx-editor I know had delivered dubs to the rerecording mixer. Rerec mixer calls up the fx-editor saying "the meters are going crazy"

They sat down together to find the problem that they couldn't hear, but it made the meters totally blow.

The studio intern enters the room and puts his hands over his ears in panic screaming "turn it off!"

Turns out it was an ambience that had a clear hiss and scream around 17,2k. A notch filter solved it, all thanks to that 16 year old intern who was frightened :)

If your interested in the physics behind speakers and reinforcement, pick up Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook. This is a comprehensive book on reinforcement from the basics on up. I would recommend looking at the required textbooks for the programs you are looking at and purchase them in advance, read them, see if it's your cup of tea. It is much cheaper to buy a couple books and find out if that direction is something you want to pursue rather than finding out a year into a program that you really cannot stand it.

Mike G

I second Mike's recommendation for Yamaha's Sound Reinforcement Handbook. This is a great all-around book that will give you a good fundamental understanding of the technical side of sound. Don't let the title fool you, it's not only for live sound engineers.

I read this for a course in an audio engineering program quite a while back. Still relevant.

Stephane