sanken cs1E

rafaeldelauz

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this mic as my first mic, the day that Sanken upgraded from CS1 to CS1e.

So far, I really like the sound of it. It is full and rich. I've used it for some SFX gathering, indoor and outdoor filming. One thing that I find myself missing sometimes is a little bit of reach or for an Omni capability.

Twice I have had some RF interference problems though 90% of the time, it is great. Once was in a school basement and the second time was in a different schools teacher lounge.

Also, the pickup pattern has been good with giving a clean image most of the time.

I bought the CS1e and kept my older CS1 just in case. It does seem a bit less noisy, but only if you have to jack the gain way up. Something I almost never have to do!!! Was more of a test just to compare to the older version. I use them for exterior interviews and general sound gathering, especially if in inclement weather. Otherwise the 641's come out and as you might expect there is no comparison in the way they sound. I like the Sanken's for their weight, size and they sound just fine for a lot of what I do. I have also found myself mounting one on a video camera, and then the on-camera audio, when recorded comes closer to what I am recording. I WON'T put my Schoeps on anyone's camera!!!! I will say the video camera ops love the weight and size and recognize it sounds much better than the SONY POS sold with most cameras.

cleve

• 3 months later...

I picked up a CS1e recently and have used it on a few varying jobs. I was using it today in a Rycote WS1 with the windjammer on in gusts up to around 25 - 30 miles an hour and found when listening back later that there was quite a lot of extra LF rumble. I like the mics reach and general sonic character but seems like it needs to have some of the bass rolled off quite aggressively.

Have not tried the E version but love my two CS-1's

Mike did not need the HF lift now added - should have been a low cut ( I did meet and tell the designers in Tokyo!)

Best if used with Rycote Lyre suspensions.

Best front to back separation I've ever heard!!!!!!!

mike

mike

Its a really nice sounding mic and very directional as they claim.. just has way too fat a low end. Handling noise is not an issue with the lyre suspension but it seems the pressure variations in stong winds are causing a low hum even with full Rycote zeppelin and windjammer. Looking at the plots the CS3e starts to roll off quite steeply at around 180Hz with the low cut engaged.. the CS1e could REALLY use the low cut way more than the CS3e imo. Still love my CS3e and nothing will replace it.. but hoping CS1e will be a good all round compact run n gun mic which fits in Rycote WS1.

Did some testing again today and made sure the Rycote Zepp was sealed well (always need to tape over where the cable exits) wind was a good 30 to 40km/hour and with the 788 low cut dialed in from around 120Hz the low resonance seemed to disappear. I have never needed to dial in so much low cut with any other mic before. Rolling off at this point will start to impact voice quaility a little but I guess not a huge deal.

• 8 years later...