Union Hours

orionflood

I am interested in joining the local 695, and yes I've read most of the posts here concerning joining the union and is it worth it etc.

What I am wondering is what kind of hours count towards unionship? I've location sound mixed several indy features and docs, but those total hours alone I don't think quite add up. In the last three years I've spent more time on doing post audio for a few features and shorts. Does post work count towards hourage. I tried calling the union and never get great responses.

Tim

The hours requirement that you refer to pertains to placement on the Industry Experience Roster, which means that it is Contract Services, and not Local 695, that you would be dealing with. To be placed on the Industry Experience Roster, Contract Services will be looking for proof that you have experience in the skill for which you are seeking Roster placement. So if you want to work as a production mixer, they'll want to see proof of same. But with several features and docs under belt, you ought to be pretty close. You can contact Contract Services at http://csatf.org/. And contact Elizabeth at Local 695 at http://www.695.com to proceed with union membership.

Proof of payment would suffice, whether paid through payroll company or invoice. A letter form the employer(s) is usually required, as well. The following is from the Contract Services website:

Placement Requirements: IER placement requirements are unique to the specific job classification for which you are applying. For example, placement requirements for the Driver job classification differ from the placement requirements for an Animal Trainer, even though both classifications are listed on the IER for Local 399. For detailed criteria, you may refer to Paragraph 68 of the Local Agreement covering the desired job classification (Paragraph 62 for Local 399 and Paragraph 25 for Local 399C), or you may contact the appropriate Assistant, Roster Administrator for further information. (Please refer to Staff Directory.)

Placement Process: CSATF processes applications for IER placement and determines IER placement eligibility. Applications for IER placement must be submitted to CSATF and must be supported by payroll and production records and/or employer letters verifying employment. To assist you in requesting that employment verification letters be sent to CSATF on your behalf, please refer to the Payroll Company Contact Sheet. Also, you are welcome to complete the Industry Experience Roster Application Form and mail it to CSATF via U.S. mail. If it is discovered that additional documentation and/or information is needed to process your application, CSATF personnel will contact you by letter. All CSATF-approved applications for placement are subject to a review (and protest) process by the appropriate union. Listing on the IER will not occur under any circumstance until ALL placement requirements are satisfied and verified by CSATF and until placement procedures have been expedited in their entirety. Under normal circumstances, the complete process takes approximately six weeks.

For the purpose of clarification: Making application for IER placement is a separate and distinct process from applying for union membership. Additionally, making application for IER placement does not automatically trigger union membership or vice-versa. It is your responsibility to initiate BOTH procedures.

Yes, this is a tad confusing, but here are some resulting questions.

According to the work experience sheet it says list work history in last two years, while on 695's website it says work history within the last 36 months, which of course is clearly 3 years. The year in my case really does matter...as I would assume in most cases. The websites are below, the 36 month is referred to in the how to section on the 695 website.

http://csatf.org/ierapp.pdf

http://www.695.com/html/whyjoin.html

Also this has maybe been covered in previous postings, but there is a fee which is to be paid of like $2500, and then one must take a test? I think. What sort of questions are on that test...if this has been covered just post the forum if you could. Thanks for the help, very insightful!

Tim

As always, the best places to get specific current actual (factual) information are the appropriate sources.

As Peter noted, when a production is headquartered (based) in the Hollywood locals' jurisdiction, then when the show is shooting somewhere else, anywhere else, the IA Hollywood Locals have jurisdiction over the show.

Some IA locals have exams (not 695) and the best place for that specific information is the individual locals. Most IA locals have an initiation fee (At 695 I'd suggest speaking with Scott Bernard). CSATF has their own rules and procedures, not under the IA's controlm but they operate under the IA contracts as they are an arm of the Producers to deal with their various contracts.

Yes, this is a tad confusing, but here are some resulting questions.

According to the work experience sheet it says list work history in last two years, while on 695's website it says work history within the last 36 months, which of course is clearly 3 years. The year in my case really does matter...as I would assume in most cases. The websites are below, the 36 month is referred to in the how to section on the 695 website.

http://csatf.org/ierapp.pdf

http://www.695.com/html/whyjoin.html

Also this has maybe been covered in previous postings, but there is a fee which is to be paid of like $2500, and then one must take a test? I think. What sort of questions are on that test...if this has been covered just post the forum if you could. Thanks for the help, very insightful!

Tim

You can call Contract Services to ask them why the form says 2 years because the Local 695 contract definitely does say 3 years. There is no test.

Thanks for that, Jeff. You just kept me from saying something nasty which I'd rather not do.

There's a great deal of evidence that we may be encountering a case of Asperger Syndrome: "...characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, alongside restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests."

I wish there were some way we could help.

" Mike does this mean you won't endorse me "

I'll consider it, of course...

" a case of Asperger Syndrome: "

Yes JB, I got that, and I get it every time you repetitively and compulsively bring it up...

>:D

I also have Diabetes, Hashimotos's Thyroidiitas, Hypercholesterolemia , and kidney stones!

Edited by studiomprd

" a case of Asperger Syndrome: "

Yes JB, I got that, and I get it every time you repetitively bring it up... >:D

Cute, but off target.

Talk about detachment from reality. Let's see, I've brought up A.S. probably less than half a dozen times and you've made reference to "hat" and your other incessant mantras at least several hundred times. Where you are either oblivious or indifferent to how annoying your obsessions are, I'm offering what I think may need to be addressed should you wish to improve your interactions with other people. The symptoms are there.

I find you capable of being intelligent and witty and like that side of you, but sadly, those qualities are buried within piles of needless crap. The fact that you are oblivious to this is worrisome and screams for the need of attention.

Sorry to be so personal, but there, I said it. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I've confirmed that the 100-day requirement is within a period of 3 years... not 2... and that the form you downloaded from Contract Services is just the beginning of the paperwork process... and that the 2-year work history requested on that form does not relate to the proof of 100 days worked in your field which you will document in subsequent paperwork.