"In the beginning, God SAID, 'Let there be light'"...

taylormadeaudio

TT, the god just spoke to me again , in German , still with Steve J voice but this time dubbed by German actor

- Micael (thats me)

Lassen Sie die Chivava auch solche, die in seinem Leben ein Pitbull sein, auch wenn es nur auf Jw Ton passiert ..

Schließlich, wenn er zurückkommt zu setzen, muss er noch viel, ein Chivava.

One thing is certain -film productionis more then just the sound . Too many soundpeople forget that - including my self "

TT

MS

<Vin , the Bollywood is an excellent example how important the soundman , and why is it possible without :-) >

and that's why most of it is trash. oh, well, maybe it does not matter to you man...

Not really , it still sell billions of tickets without " real sound man " work :-)

MS

And TT, When I had my first Feature with God in 1996 , he was very sharp about he doesn't make second take for sound since he don't really care about , so for my help came the God's DP which was very kind to say to GOD , " I f''d the take " every time GOD OR HISS ANGELS where mumbling or sound was distracted by other Gods processes in the same time the camera and sound where rolling , so we will able to re shoot it.

The God was alwais generus to any other department and made another one for the picture- not for sound ..

So my conclusion is that the god doesn't count us , but he likes we trick him - as he knows all :-)

By the way ,this is the only movie he was not ADRed and it is only thanks Camera people - not my department

MS

Thanks John,

You're absolutely right -- I believe the term is "casting pearls before swine"...

...so anyhow, as I was saying in the original post, it wasn't a malicious or resentful discussion -- there was no animosity in anyone's tone -- it was all in good fun. I have an excellent rapport with probably 95% of the camera guys with whom I work.

Olle, I hope the story was worth all the ensuing bullshit -- definitely not my intention. And don't worry man, you'll have your Great Anecdote... sometimes they don't occur to us until long after the fact.

~tt

Sure was worth it! No problemo

Actually, come to think about it, I do have an anecdote at least that's pretty cool:

My first commercial gig for a yoghurt (I was 22 or so). I had no idea whatsoever on rates or gear or anything. So I just said what I needed and I brought my own gear (MKH50, SD 302 tied to a Zoom H4n. DPA lavs on G2s). No requests on anything from producers or team. I was all alone. Laved all actors and boomed.

On the day I get there the PM starts yelling at me that they specifically asked for 5 client IFBs and playback possibilities from RED. So the rental firm had to express deliver these IFBs (Lectros and heapdhones) and tons of batteries to location. Dragged the shoot one hour after schedule. That didn't do too much since the RED's fans stopped working (fan obstructed by a screw, WTF?) Shoot was terrible. Everyone complained about the sound all the time. Since the Audio out from RED port was broken I had to wire through the phones out port so of course it was noisy and all that jazz.

Morning of second day I felt a mess of course. I told myself I would never work again with commercials an certainly never ever with this company again. PM morning speech: "Thank you for a wonderful day, all of you did great. Except for one guy. Not mentioning names". My mood the rest of the day: Fuck.

Clients had grown tired of the headphones and three of the five IFB receivers were intermittent, so I rented a speaker to be in the client's room. I hardwired the speaker from DIT so there was no chance of random pops and clicks. I was reassured. Clients never uttered a bad word on IFB that evening again.

Now from time to time I had heard from team and actors (during breaks) that these clients were real assholes. And one particular scene had that behavior show for real. The director shook her head at their demands and everyone silently grunted in hatred.

Except for this one actor. She just ruptured with bad remarks and foul language. The FAD was standing next to her nodding his head. All of a sudden: death quiet. She looked down on her lav, then at me. That look of death. Dismal. This shoot is over.

Now, I'm quite greedy. At this time I was a poor lonesome soundie a long way from home. Batteries were worth life and death to me so I had made a habit of turning my mixer off between takes. This take was no exception. The mixer was indeed off, so no IFB going out to client.

"The mixer's off they can't hear you" I said. In total and utter shock of course. I was literally shaking when I saw the team's looks at me.

Relief. Sigh of heaven.

FAD instantly goes: "That's pro".

Greed = Pro.

So you must have done something right, right? Did you ask them how many IFB's you'd need to bring the next time? It's amazing what clients will expect from you without properly communicating it ahead of time. Keep your cool, try not to be too reactionary (hard to do sometimes) and professionalism will prevail. : )

~tt