Future IFB

Colin Heath

But...back to the latency of those systems, which would drive people within earshot of the talent nuts....

phil p

This is very true. It's also pretty bad when you have a comedic moment, and you get laughter from the agency outside over the next chunk of dialogue/whatever because they just got the stream...

No,no, no guys, If our system of IFBs and Comteks were replaced by another system that utilized Ipads, phones or other devices, there would be nothing to throw in the gutter, under bushes or left in Passenger vans....

Besides, what would we do without the hide and seek of searching every evening after a show for all the units.... Just go home? bad idea....

I'm always aghast a how casually people toss Comteks aside at the end of a shoot, especially by execs. Having to hunt those down, especially on the dark edges of a set, is a nightmare.

I can't see any computer-based system being able to completely avoid delay, especially the ones using Bluetooth or WiFi. 30ms is right about 1 video frame, which would be fine, but I'm skeptical it could work.

First, with a smart phone IFB, you'd spend a ridiculous amount of time helping each of the agency denizens download and install the app, then configuring it and trouble-shooting for them which button to push after they've taken a call. Then there's the mountain of iPhones that will be brought to your cart for recharging.

Or, there's the tried and true Comteks and you can either chase them down or bill L&D as appropriate. Comparing the amount of work and hassle, I MUCH prefer the Comteks.