Yamaha Launches New 01V96i

I use the 01V96i with Pro Tools and it works great.

The AES cards are still available most places - Amazon has them for instance - It's called the MY8-AE96 or MY8-AE96s (with a sampling rate converter).

The tricky part for me was finding a cable to connect the AES card to my Apogee converter - apparently the whole Yamaha AES standard is going by the wayside or something. I got a Hosa cable that said it was wired for Yamaha and it didn't work - a check with the Multimeter showed that it was wired completely wrong. Yamaha has a cable but it is discontinued... The only one I could find was a Mogami version which is insanely expensive but thankfully works perfectly.

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...

...how can i get the max recording tracks on BR with 01v96i ? any suggestions ?

Use the ADAT outputs of the Yamaha into a Tascam MX2424 (I'm about to sell one!) for 24 tracks of .WAVs with TC ....

BTW - a 40 track reality show is just plain sick..... I wouldn't ever feel "comfy" about all of that in a single polyphonic file of

unrestrained runtime that seems to be the norm of that genre ... someday somethings just gonna give up sometime somewhere....

If the budget is there, a pair of Deva 16s would be the ideal - then you have MARF working it's magic for you.

MF

Use the ADAT outputs of the Yamaha into a Tascam MX2424 (I'm about to sell one!) for 24 tracks of .WAVs with TC ....

BTW - a 40 track reality show is just plain sick..... I wouldn't ever feel "comfy" about all of that in a single polyphonic file of

unrestrained runtime that seems to be the norm of that genre ... someday somethings just gonna give up sometime somewhere....

If the budget is there, a pair of Deva 16s would be the ideal - then you have MARF working it's magic for you.

MF

You don't want to make a 40 track poly in any case, since there is no software that will crack it. To get more outputs you could route the ADAT outs to one of many interface boxes (USB or Firewire) and then aggregate in the Mac.

philp

Well I do have deva16 and nomad6(maybe later nomad12), for the locations setup, mobile and easily roll out.

Thinking about the 01v96i just for the studio control room setup, its soloing and grouping on the fly would be more help in the control room than Zaxcom. That's why I'm thinking about use it with BR. They had max 35 mics used on season1. Yes, the stability during extremely long hours.... Maybe I just go for a 3rd nomad10or12.

Cloud and any one else thinking of incorporating a Yamaha 01V96i into their setup, think out your routing needs first and then find the correct solution.

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/miniygdai/

If you are routing to a Deva 16, consider using an AES 8 or 16 card as well as a Metric Halo 2882 where you can use the ADAT to incorporate another 8 outs into the analog side of the Deva 16. THe USB i/o is perfect for any DAW program.

Just think it through first before you make the leap and then have to spend more money acquiring interfaces to meet your needs.

I also strongly recommend you join the 01v96 User group, started by Phil Palmer. http://o1v96psug.pro...s.com/index.cgi

You would never want to be tracking anything of that scale of file in a polyphonic file.

The music world uses monos and most film/tv projects get converted into monophonics as the files sizes would be just too big.

Dialog recording of smaller track counts are really the only place one would see polys used as it makes things slightly easier for asst editors to grab a singular file.

I've been using the 01v96i for a few months now and it's been flawless running 16 tracks in both directions to and from my laptop.

You could maybe go to 24 with say a 16 ADAT card, the 8 ADAT channels built in and run that into a JoeCo box or some other interface that you could send to a computer. Then you would have everything in one format which keeps things simpler.

On the input side, you'd still need a way to feed more inputs beyond the initial 16 ADs. An ADAT interface would be needed to run into your ADAT inputs on the card and/or the built in 8 ADATs on the 01V.

The only way to get to 40 ins would be to use 16 ins on the card and 8 on the built in along with the 16 analog inputs.

The only problem is you would have to use the 16 outs built into the USB as well as the 24 ADATs.

A bold and crazy build but not beyond doable.

One shortcoming would be to have the tacks on different machines i.e. 24 on a JoeCo and 16 on a laptop. Doable but not very elegant.

Hope this helps.

Scott Harber CAS