SYNAUDCON

soundtrane

Hi, Vin

I used to work with a guy years ago that took the course in person, this was long before the advent of on-line education. He worked for a sound system design and installation company and IIRC he enjoyed the course immensely and found it helpful in his daily work. Like the Sound System Engineering books, the courses are aimed at the theory, design and proper installation of high end pa systems, from systems for board rooms to houses of worship to amphitheaters. The live courses were pricey back then, the costs for the online courses seem reasonable.

The Sound System Engineering book isn't cheap ($80, I think) but it's thorough and covers lots of great stuff. There's an appendix on proper installation techniques that's worth the cost of the book, and lots of charts and tables for stuff like how to make impedance matching networks correctly, the various types of pads, how to calculate the values of the resistors required for a specific pad, etc.

Best regards,

Jim

Vin,

I'm sure several folks on here knows SynAudCon, including myself. I've even attended several of their 2 and 3-day courses, yet found them to be 2-5% useful every other time - all depending on your previous skills and experience. Doesn't sound like much and I'm not exaggerating, but it's the little details that MANY sound folks tend to miss that helps them understand it. The lack of response probably reflects on the reason this being a production sound for picture forum. Although production sound deals a lot with unknown acoustics, analog/digital equipments, philosophy and mathematical fundamentals, SynAudCon primarily focuses a lot on the sound reinforcement field, but all materials learned and hands-on experience without a doubt applies to other sectors of the industry.

Web-based:

Course 50. I'm definitely sure you already know this since you have a strong background in EE.

Course 100: You'll pass this easily.

Course 110: Loudspeaker systems. This might or not be new to you, but the beginning step to acquiring a C7 or C10 license here in California as an electrical contractor.

Course 200: Again, you come from both production and post and should easily grasp this subject. Practically system designing.

In-person training would most likely be out of the question, but if you happen to stop by the states, recommend ya. Here's a quote I truly believe that will make you a more well-rounded soundie, under Training/why SynAudCon?/History, "The best audio people are “general practitioners”. One should have experience and knowledge in many areas to be proficient as an Operator, Technician or Designer. An “academic-only” background excludes the practical. A “field-only” background excludes the academic."

Hope that helps!

A.