Thanks to Don Coufal, Jeff Wexler, and Doug Cameron.

Whit Norris

Just wanted to thank Don, Jeff and Doug. We held a boom operator workshop seminar in Atlanta this afternoon. Don and Doug spoke with Jeff and I moderating. It was sponsored by IATSE local 479 and hosted by the Atlanta Institute of Music. Great turn out out by boom operators, sound utilities, mixers, and graduates and staff from AIM. We had about 40 people attending. Don carried the seminar and did an outstanding job! It is always great to hear these guys speak. Everyone walked away with new information and tools on the craft of the boom operator. Thanks again to Don, Jeff and Doug and to everyone that attended. Many of those that attended are members on this site.

Cheers,

Whit

I learned more than I can describe (as a mixer in the process of moving up) watching and listening to Don work for just one day of 2nd unit TV. I was working as utility that day, and Don was very easy on me.

My few remaining days as a boom operator after that were such a joy. I kept asking myself, "How did I not learn this before now?" I hope the attendees took as much with them as I did.

Robert

It truly was exciting to hear about booming from Don, and Doug, as well as info from Jeff and Whit, about our part in the film making process. Not as much about the techniques of booming, but the importance of the role the boom op plays in communication and running the set, which I feel many boom ops lack, and is about 80% of their jobs. Thanks again for taking time out of your day to speak with us.

Thanks to my long time friend and partner Whit for putting this event together ! It was my Honor and pleasure to be involved ! I feel it is so important to share with the upcoming sound pros, and our peers also, to foster a sense of brotherhood and pride in our craft as well as exchange information. Whit is committed to this and is to be commended. For me, this workshop was an opportunity to stand among Giants and Legends, as well as pass something to our attendants. I'm sure my mouth was hanging open a few times, listening to Don and Jeff speak. They really renewed and reinforced some ideas we practice, and my love for our "mysterious to most" offering to the art of making films. Teaching beside Don was like being the nurse in an OR... I'm swabbing forehead and handing out things, but the dude next to me is a Brain Surgeon ! He is an expert technician, passionate filmmaker, and true gentleman, as is Jeff ! I have new friends as well as heros. I hope everyone that was there learned something, and understands the depth of experience, and passion, they were enjoying.

I was fortunate enough to be at the seminar and wanted to thank Whit, Jeff, Don and Doug for taking the time out to share some of their knowledge and over 100 years of combined experience!! I think it speaks volumes to the character of these gentlemen knowing the hours they dedicate on set to take their personal time off and use it to enhance the sound community. I am new to the Atlanta sound community and have met many in the industry here with various degrees of experience. The thing that has struck me the most is that the people I have met are good people. It's not hard to understand why when you have role models like these gentlemen who are more than willing to give of themselves and it spreads through the whole community. So thank you again for the boom knowledge but also for a very timely life lesson. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!!