Any advice as to what to bring to a live shoot?

Michael Miramontes

I've been asked to do a live shoot that will be airing on facebook later this month. It's going to be a 3-4 camera shoot on DSLR's and most likely there will be no more then 4-5 people on camera at one time. This is what I'm being told for now anyways. I figured I'd ask you guys what you think is the best way, equipment wise, to do this. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring radios for everyone AND the person or two they forgot to tell you about...two booms, recorder I would ISO them and record a mix track.... plenty of cable, all your normal in the follow cart gear, plenty of Lithium batteries, any other batteries you may need, TC slates, Plant mic options, an array of Boom mics... CMIT-416-Schoeps CMC6 etc... you fill in the mics of your choice, and anything else you have in your gear bags or truck....A Senn. G3 or G2 wireless feed from you to at least one camera, not mandatory, but it will maybe help depending how far cameras are away from the sound... Of course there are reports, mic supplies and such... I am only giving some basic guidelines on gear...

See if you can get a boom guy....

Go into it with the idea of opening up the mics on the cameras... set the levels FOR THE DISTANCE TALENT (or idiots) will be... Leave headroom!!! use a T.C. slate, maybe have one open they can pan to off set a bit that just stays open... run a Senn. G3 or G2 for a scratch track if you choose to do so, mic 'em up, ISO them, record your guide track as well, make sure they use a TC slate, most likely set to 23.97 and let the fun begin...

What mics you use, or how the people are miked will depend on the puzzle they throw at you.... Have all you can going in, then attack as needed.... If you are in fact short on gear, or don't own all this stuff, get AS MUCH PROPER INFO YOU CAN and plan an attack from there.... but, as always, once you see "Their plan" your plan of attack will most likely now change.... Remember, if it is live, take special care to think through your LAV mounts for noise, bullet proof them, check them carefully, have them move all around... TELL THEM WHERE THE MICS ARE, TWICE... and let them know not to hit, grab, pat, or scratch that area.... Depending on how long they will shoot for, try to use lithium batteries, charge them at around $4.00 ea. or tell them to get them for you... get the 8X ones from Energizer, not the 4X... Or give them away for free... a popular choice these days... >:(

See the puzzle, solve the puzzle..... solving puzzles you can't see can be difficult... Arm up, and attack...

Good luck....

Regardless of the airing platform, do the best you can... I try not to record for form of media outlet... you never know...

OK, I stand corrected, it's for facebook.... hold a boom in the air and let it rip... ^_^

I guess the question is... live record (what we do all day) or actual live to "air"? Live to air, automix or smear with boom. Recording for later airing, mix-boom-ISO-TC-camera sends, etc.

This is going to be live to air. I've never done this on my own before so I'm hoping its not something I cant handle.

The show is going to be somewhat of a QVC type format so I'm thinking it might not be too bad. Im hoping to get more info in the next couple of days so I can share the details with you guys.

Again, any and all info is appreciated.

One really important thing is, will there be sound reinforcement in the place where it will be originating from? Such as, if there's a live audience that needs to hear the proceedings? If so, that can sabotage your mics big-time. In that event, they also may need a separate person for house sound and even a dry run ahead of time.

Your main plan of attack should be getting as thorough an understanding of what will happen as is humanly possible. There are many things you can plan ahead for as AFMY outlined above, however, there are some events that only advance knowledge will help you prepare for.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and get a thorough knowledge of what will transpire. And remember, there's always something they're leaving out or forgetting to mention.

Good luck.

One really important thing is, will there be sound reinforcement in the place where it will be originating from? Such as, if there's a live audience that needs to hear the proceedings? If so, that can sabotage your mics big-time. In that event, they also may need a separate person for house sound and even a dry run ahead of time.

+1 This is very important I do a lot of Live event to the tape for later broadcast and things for Dvd release. Without good live sound support you will be screwed. Whenever I do event I always insist on bringing in a FOH mixer with his own board speakers and wireless systems if it is a huge event ( I did a 16 person live with audience and to web last year) He sourced the wireless and did all the RF coordination he then provided me a pre fader iso of each channel which I recorded and also did a mix for the web cast. It worked perfectly because I had complete control over everything. So my advice is try to have as much control as possible and ask many questions

I just did a live stream event for a corporate gig and then also did My own streaming of a musical event. I thought is was going to be stressful but in reality, it's the same just possibly multiplied by hundreds or thousands of listners :D .

+1 on the automixer!

You should insist on having an assistant with you. There may be re-micing of people during the broadcast and you will need an extra pair of hands to do this while you mix.

Have a boom pole/mic powerd up and ready to go to bring in to play, in case your radio mics go belly up. (this is where your assistant will be handy also)

Find out if they need any talent IFB for cueing and/or prompting.

Find out what you need to supply them for the audio feed. Mono mix, line level on a male XLR? Do they have whatever it is that converts/inputs your feed to the internet?

Live shoot with four DSLR's? Are you sure it's not "live to tape"? DSLR cameras have virtually no usable video output for live mixing and streaming.

If I had to do live webcast with compact cameras, I'd rather choose something like EX1 but definitely not DSLR.

So, I'm being asked if I'm able to do this.

• Get a line of audio from a computer the host will potentially skype from while allowing the host to also here the call
  • Make sure he can load in the music and take calls from us on when to play and when to fade.

Live shoot with four DSLR's? Are you sure it's not "live to tape"? DSLR cameras have virtually no usable video output for live mixing and streaming.

If I had to do live webcast with compact cameras, I'd rather choose something like EX1 but definitely not DSLR.

I'm just repeating what I'm being told by the Producer, who is still trying to figure things out herself.

With all the other good replies, a number of major factors are not mentioned, and most of them are: BUDGET...

Frankly, the OP is way to vague to answer properly, and even the very sparse additional info added leaves me convinced these wanna-bee's haven't got a clue, even if they have a budget, which, I'm guessing they do not.

What has so far been outlined (ever so sketchy) is costly to do properly, and what is "Live to Facebook"??

AFMY, and Old School, who do major commercials are well equipped for way more than they expect, but they always are provided with thorough information so they can bring special stuff as needed.(sometimes they may even have to rent stuff)

I'm of the suspicion the OP may need experienced assistance on this gig. (It takes years of experience to get years of experience!)

So: a few of the many unanswered questions -which would lead to other questions-, and note that all of these can require additional time, effort, equipment, and/or crew -thus additional $$:

Live audience?? (audience mic'ing..)

PA system ?? -needed for live audience: PA package, include feedback killer, experienced PA mixer)

Live switching ??

multiple streams??

actually live ??

or live to tape w/no post ?? (not dSLR's) ISO's not needed

what and how to feed. --auto-mixer advised, also some processing -C/L, etc.suggested

Post produced later?? (ISO's are back, separate live mix w/ automixer)

camcorder feeds ??

playback?? earwigs??

live music or performance ?? monitors ??

computer audio in/out ??

telephone audio in/out

IFB ?? wireless ??

Cue Aids ?? (feeds??)

PL ?? wireless ??

Fisher boom ?? may be a great idea for a chat show type set.

scouting?

prep?

setup ?

testing?

rehearsal?

srtike/wrap?

teleprompter? (feed?)

Green Room?? (feed?)

Video Village ?? (feed?)

Script Supervisor?? (feed?)

Insurance ??

and, oh, yeah: $$

Edited by studiomprd

" you never asked. And you'd never be able to pay it. "

agreed!

but Michael asked here, and that is my response to him.

I agree, if it is just some inexperienced wanna-bee's, he should get as much $$ and info as he can, and do what he can based on that price and spec's.

Live and "like live" production sound is a specialty requiring a lot of different skills, techniques, equipment, and experience

Edited by studiomprd

With all the other good replies, a number of major factors are not mentioned, and most of them are: BUDGET...

Frankly, the OP is way to vague to answer properly, and even the very sparse additional info added leaves me convinced these wanna-bee's haven't got a clue, even if they have a budget, which, I'm guessing they do not.

What has so far been outlined (ever so sketchy) is costly to do properly, and what is "Live to Facebook"??

AFMY, and Old School, who do major commercials are well equipped for way more than they expect, but they always are provided with thorough information so they can bring special stuff as needed.(sometimes they may even have to rent stuff)

I'm of the suspicion the OP may need experienced assistance on this gig. (It takes years of experience to get years of experience!)

So: a few of the many unanswered questions -which would lead to other questions-, and note that all of these can require additional time, effort, equipment, and/or crew -thus additional $$:

Live audience?? (audience mic'ing..)

PA system ?? -needed for live audience: PA package, include feedback killer, experienced PA mixer)

Live switching ??

multiple streams??

actually live ??

or live to tape w/no post ?? (not dSLR's) ISO's not needed

what and how to feed. --auto-mixer advised, also some processing -C/L, etc.suggested

Post produced later?? (ISO's are back, separate live mix w/ automixer)

camcorder feeds ??

playback??

live music or performance ??

computer audio in/out ??

telephone audio in/out

IFB ??

Cue Aids ?? (feeds??)

PL ??

Fisher boom ?? may be a great idea for a chat show type set.

scouting?

prep?

setup ?

testing?

rehearsal?

srtike/wrap?

teleprompter? (feed?)

Green Room?? (feed?)

Video Village ?? (feed?)

Script Supervisor?? (feed?)

Insurance ??

and, oh, yeah: $$

Those are all great questions....

Multiple DSLRs as live video cameras? Seems dubious. There is no way to genlock a DSLR, so no way to align the phase of their outputs to a switcher. No switcher means it's not live multicam. Audio concerns all as above, esp re PA system. If there is no PA I would put money on them expecting you to lav everyone. If there is a PA then you need serious help, a complete PA system and some hand-helds or you will die a horrible death.

phil p

Just began reading your reply, FewMore, and was inspired to answer. Actually, sounds to me as if things go just as they should: producer brought on sound geek at the inception of the project (unless I'm reading Michael wrong, but I don't think I am). All is in flux and the producer has given their man enough time to gather options for a more-complex-than-typical project.

Lotsa ducks and turkeys to get in rows. Lotsa possibilities.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Did a couple of video blogger conferences (for the one in SF set up the a multiple-room, multiple-live-feeds, live-to-audience with PA's, and streaming video mixing). For the other, I did audio for the same distribution with live PA in the room. That was in Germany, so there was a bit of tweaking for that. It was staged in a large live music venue that had a house team of four or five who helped us get set up the day before. On the day, our staff ran their mixer, but they were all there.

Plan on a few trips to a Radio Shack, pro video, sound, hardware, and computer stores. Put 'em all on a shareable, saved Google map. Find out if there is someone on staff designated to just shop, lend hands, and run errands. Check.

Petty cash. Could help.

Bring everything you got.

You definitely need a day in advance to set up and test and let it rest for troubleshooting.

Tricaster? Google it.

Head lamp. The usual power tools, including for sure a drill and some basic hardware and probably the Dremel. Extra Velcro.

Get the live stream techmeister to be on call 24/7.

I'm fried in the last days of a many-month stretch: there's much more to consider, but I'm running out of steam...

Four days to rest and four days remain. A kind of symmetry I'm fond of noting.

Were I to do the project you describe today, I'd want to use cat5 systems where possible rather than multiple audio and video cables.

Did one live to-recorded-stream. Be sure you've got a competent guy at the interface to the net (Tricaster?).

Enough time to do it. Two days' prep? Three would be better.

Happy Thanksgiving, sound pals. Happy Gratitude!

Good luck!

-- Jan

Everyone, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it! I wish I had more info about the project, especially since the shoot is on Monday. I've asked the Producer and a rep from a company called livestream.com but no one knows what to tell me. Yes, I know this is scary and that I'm dealing with an amateur Producer. However, I've asked for a decent rate and will have a boom op and utility helping me out. Worst case someone here might get a call if they dont like my price. Haha

I'm just going to bring my full arsenal, as well as some of the items you guys mentioned,

and hope for the best. I really hate working under these conditions but if they agree to my rate then I'll deal with it.

This is going to be live to air. I've never done this on my own before so I'm hoping its not something I cant handle.

The show is going to be somewhat of a QVC type format so I'm thinking it might not be too bad. Im hoping to get more info in the next couple of days so I can share the details with you guys.

Again, any and all info is appreciated.

I've done lots of the those type gigs, live-switched to tape, webcast + an in-house audience.. w/Q&A to make things even more interesting). I ALWAYS used a console type mixer and mixed on the fly with the main faders and sent a pre-fader feed to the house PA, or had a very competent FOH operator with every mic split.

Unless I misinterpreted something, how they gonna webcast live with DSRLs

Yes, let us know what transpires.