Miniature Unbalanced Splitter/Summing Device

BradTheSoundGuy

If this already exists, or someone can tell me a better way to do this, I'd love to hear/see it...but in the meantime I'm wondering if I can get a little help on trying my first DIY project.

I'm currently working a gig with another sound guy and comtek's are needed. He has some talent wired, I have the others, and we're each feeding different cameras.

In coming up with a cheap/fast/easy way to send out a single comtek feed with all the talent being heard I've set him up with a comtek TX feeding a receiver that I have built in to my kit. The audio out from it goes into a splitter like this:

2740879l.jpg

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Headphone+Accessories&product=2740879

...which combines with my audio and feeds my comtek tx - out to everyone on set that needs ears.

What I'd like to have is a very similar design, but with a 3-way switch so that when selected, the output is either the left, right, or combined signal from the two feeds.

I find that when we do post interviews and only one sound guy is working, the lack of a feed from the down man adds terrible noise to the comteks. Only solution is to pull that cable from the splitter.

Perhaps there is a much easier way to get the combined signal to everyone, but if not I'd like to try building such a switcher.

Any suggestions as to required parts for such a contraption I would really appreciate.

Solution is Lectrosonic IFB where the producer can easily flip between the two different bags

I'm thinking he's looking for a nice little passive switcher to build for a few bucks, using gear he owns already, not an expensive new setup.

Besides, I hate the idea of anyone being in charge of their own feeds. Too many morons.

Try this...

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/direct-boxes/poddi

Each feed to an RCA input. You can control each volume and output is properly summed and balanced.

Aside from that, I like the idea of Eric's DPDT switcher. I made something very similar recently for alternating between Tx blocks for the last input of one of my rigs. Same principal. If you haven't found a solution that works for you, I would be glad to post photos of that box next week (leaving for a long t-giving weekend tomorrow). It was basically what eric posted, but with XLRs (tap center pole for output, tie grounds).

Best,

Wyatt