Needing a wiring diagram for an SD 552 break away cable with time code

Sebastian

Hi guys

I had a look on the Sound Devices website to find the wiring diagram for the 442's XL 10 breakout cable but it doesn't include a time code cable (which would be used for the 552). Does any one know how to wire the Neutricon 8 pin inline connector to accommodate time code.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

You'd have to use proper cable (probably a four-pairs?) and two Neutricon connectors on each end of breakaway I guess OR a Tajimi or Hirose bigger connector. I prefer the Tajimi because there's a pull-type connector model they make as opposed to a screw-type Hirose so you can break with one hand.

You'd have to use proper cable (probably a four-pairs?) and two Neutricon connectors on each end of breakaway I guess OR a Tajimi or Hirose bigger connector. I prefer the Tajimi because there's a pull-type connector model they make as opposed to a screw-type Hirose so you can break with one hand.

I have the Belden 4 pair cable and a Neutricon 8 pin. Wish I could get my hands on a Tajimi connector- The best I have ever used but in South Africa, those connectors don't exist. If I mono'd the HP, I could use up all 8 pins. Just don't know the wiring configuration so that the time code signal doesn't bleed into the other channels.

I have the Belden 4 pair cable and a Neutricon 8 pin. Wish I could get my hands on a Tajimi connector- The best I have ever used but in South Africa, those connectors don't exist. If I mono'd the HP, I could use up all 8 pins. Just don't know the wiring configuration so that the time code signal doesn't bleed into the other channels.

Here's the wiring for the Trew/Remote Audio Neutricon:

1. return tip/L

2. return ring/right

3. Left +

4. Left -

5. L&R Ground

6. Right +

7. Right -

8. Return Ground

You could tie all the grounds together at either pins 5 or 8 and tie the returns together at pins 1 or 2. That would give you 2 open pins. Looking at the pin layout I would suggest using pin 1 for the positive TC signal and pin 8 for the TC shield. Besure to connect the wires to the pins before pushing the pins into the designated mounting holes in the Neutricon body. Once in the body they're locked in forever.

Eric

Yep, I had quite a hard time to find these connectors here in Canada too and ended up ordering from those guys in Boston:

http://www.connectdsc.com/contact.asp

Maybe you could just contact them via this adress and ask about shipping fees (I know you're far away from there but you never know...).

I bought them a big PRC04 type of connector to pass audio send+return, timecode and video signal from camera. I'm a happy camper since then, a little heavy but it works :)

There's also distributors in UK and Netherlands and probably other European countries that could maybe help you out ?

If you have TC running through the same cable as audio I wouldn't rule out the possibility of TC bleed.

While I agree with the TC bleeding issue, Remote Audio has just such a SD 552 specific all in one audio, return & TC breakaway cable. Return is mono and you can't add a normal Neutricon extention because of the difference in pin assignments. 20' $254.

Eric

Here's the wiring for the Trew/Remote Audio Neutricon:

1. return tip/L

2. return ring/right

3. Left +

4. Left -

5. L&R Ground

6. Right +

7. Right -

8. Return Ground

You could tie all the grounds together at either pins 5 or 8 and tie the returns together at pins 1 or 2. That would give you 2 open pins. Looking at the pin layout I would suggest using pin 1 for the positive TC signal and pin 8 for the TC shield. Besure to connect the wires to the pins before pushing the pins into the designated mounting holes in the Neutricon body. Once in the body they're locked in forever.

Eric

Thanks so much Eric. I really appreciate your time and effort.

I understand the issue of a possible time code bleed into the audio channels as the signal from the camera is VERY HOT but I just want to try anyway and will report back my findings to you guys.

Yours in Audio

Sebastian

I tried doing this once. 2 channels line level outs, mono return and timecode all in the same snake, using 2-channel starquad. The return and timecode were in the same bundle, and the return sounded like.... Timecode. It even bled into the line outs, but much less noticable.

What type of cable will you be using? I bought 50 of canare 4-channel starquad, figuring a separate, shielded bundle would handle timecode better. I still haven't found connectors I like that have 12+ pins, so the cable is sitting under my desk. Once my new Qrx100 arrives, I might just sell it. Anyone want 50 feet of 4-channel starquad?

David L

i use mogami 2931 and have the return on one pair and timecode on a pair. this greatly reduces the timecode bleed on the return channel - it only seems to be on the right channel if i use my SQN umbilical cable. but i use hirose 10 pin connectors and pin 6 for timecode.

I'm using the Belden 1904A 4 pair cable which has good screening properties but am still in the process of making it so can only try it out next week some time. I am limited to the Neutricon 8 pin connector as that is the only one I have access to but might try the Hirose 10 pin on another cable another time.

Well you might as well have the Hirose 10 pin wiring that SD uses for the 442. I would guess it's the same for the 552.

1. Left+

2. Left -

3. Right +

4. Right-

5. Right return

6. NC

7. Left Return

8. NC

9. Left & Right signal Grounds

10. Left & Right return Grounds

You'll also need an .050 size Allen wrench to open and close the set screws in the collars.

Eric

• 2 months later...

I made one of these for doing broadcast work when I first got my 552. I used mogami 4 change snake, and a mini hirose 10 pin push pull connector. It's about the diameter of the osc8 connectors. I didn't have any bleed issues, but in the long run the smaller hirose connector wasn't rugged enough and I had to fix it a couple times. I would do it again using the same connector in a larger diameter, but I don't want to spend the money since I plan on upgrading to a Nomad soon. I need the iso's.