Vertical carts used sideways.

Philip Perkins

I've noticed that virtually all of the vertical-style carts pictured recently on this forum have the operator working at the side--ie across the back wheels, as opposed to facing the "front" of the cart as it would roll (ie: the "little wheel end").  Why are you guys doing this?  Easier access to connectors?  Less stuff sticking out that can be broken off?

thanks

Philip Perkins

Phil,

Until you brought this up, it never really occured to me. Even those who use a magliner are working "across the back wheels". Since I'm using an SKB Shock-Rack case it was better to have the wheels on the enclosed sides of the case and also better balance for the cart. The cart frame was built by Brett Grant-Grierson and is actually built off of an upright magliner.

I'd like to see a collage of all the carts in use - that would make a great poster!

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

Phil,

Mine is one of the more recent pictures posted.  And it is as you suspected, at least in my case.  I wanted easy access to the back, without having to push aside cables and other such things typically hung on the handles.  In dusty conditions, I can easily drape material over the back, but still have fast access if I need to repatch something, which is rare.  And if I take off the PVC caps for the boom pole holders on the back, I can easily put the back door on too for additional truck/shipping safety, but it's usually not neccessary.

Richard - perhaps you can post an image of your cart.  I'd love to see it.

Robert Sharman

Phil,

Until you brought this up, it never really occured to me. Even those who use a magliner are working "across the back wheels". Since I'm using an SKB Shock-Rack case it was better to have the wheels on the enclosed sides of the case and also better balance for the cart. The cart frame was built by Brett Grant-Grierson and is actually built off of an upright magliner.

I'd like to see a collage of all the carts in use - that would make a great poster!

Regards,

Richard Lightstone, CAS

That's how I use my current Magliner cart (in 4 wheel mode) for sure, but the older Hollywood carts (like my old 1980s "Skyline"/3-G Welding cart) were usually set up so that the operator faced the "front" of the cart.  Now that I look at it the sideways thing actually makes more sense.

Philip Perkins

Robert,

I posted a picture of my cart here: http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1085.msg7070#msg7070

at the end of my post. That picture was taken in Morocco, only a month after it was built - I've added a side shelf (over the battery tray) and Aviom 'patchbays' on the rear -  as seen here: http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=850.msg5453#msg5453  - Reply #1

Richard

I've noticed that virtually all of the vertical-style carts pictured recently on this forum have the operator working at the side--ie across the back wheels, as opposed to facing the "front" of the cart as it would roll (ie: the "little wheel end").  Why are you guys doing this?  Easier access to connectors?  Less stuff sticking out that can be broken off?

thanks

Philip Perkins

I noticed this as well. Having built several upright - vertical style carts (based on the original design by Michael Evje) I have always oriented the cart in the traditional manner: I sit facing the front of the cart with the little wheels below, and the back of the cart is the axle and larger wheels. Even when I look at Richard's cart and others, which are oriented as you say, to the side (with "front" and "back" with respect to the wheels actually being the sides on these carts), I would find it very difficult to get used to. There may be good structural and functional reasons for doing it this way, I just would have a problem with that sort of design.

Also, I would love to put together a collection of working cart pictures as Richard has suggested. It could almost be done from many of the images posted here on our Group. Maybe if we could get even more people to post images here (or links to images posted elsewhere) we could get that going.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler