Check it out...

Saw an ad in Electronic Musician Magazine today.  This looks interesting.

http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=79&cat=1&id=130

It does look like a good unit and I was going to point out 2 limitations (although I was wrong about one of them): it is AC only (not surprising because of being a tube preamp) and NO word clock (this is where I was wrong --- close viewing of the back panel shows "Word Clock In and Thru" so I suppose that would work). I question the value of tubes if this is to be used a primarily a line level device fed from an external mixer --- but I suppose of it is to be used as THE front end for all the sources including microphones, then the tube mic prehs could be valuable. Again, this brings up the whole issue of the way so many sound mixers, at least in the television and "film" world, are going all wireless, so the microphone preamp is in the RF transmitter (and anything after that is somewhat irrelevant).

-  JW

Well this ws definately designed for studio.  I could easily see this being used on a Pro Tools mix/overdub session (or even an analog session).  Unless things have changed drastically since I worked in music, it's probably still not uncommon for a mixer to want to "warm things up" by sending a track through a pre-amp in the mix stage.  Especially if it was recorded digitally (i.e. Pro Tools).  I remember Fairchilds, Pultecs (w/ old telephone amps) & Universal Audio's LA2A's routinely being used for that.

Cheers,

Sara