DPA 4081 stereo kit

soundtrane

I got a DPA 4081 stereo kit brand new - two mics, pair of XLR adapters in a box, and a pair of Microdot to TA5F adapters to use with Lectro Tx.

Tried them with my Lectros (LM and UM400) today, and nada - nothing. It simply does not work.

Secondly, i noticed a massive difference in levels as well as tone between what is supposedly a matched pair with consequent serial number mics.

Wonder...

-vin

I have a pair and have had no problems with my SM and SMa's. I think you have the wrong set of microdot adapters. Have you tried the microdot to XLR adapters directly into your console or recorder to see how the microphones sound? Just FYI the XLR adapters are set to 48 volts Phantom powering.

The correct adapter is DAD 3056 and DPA says it works with LM,SM, and UM Lectrosonics

post-273-0-86826100-1322587035.jpg

Hi Richard,

That is indeed correct. Better yet, that wiring (3056 adapter) works with all UHF Lectro transmitters, old or new, even the UM195, UM200, etc.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

I have a pair and have had no problems with my SM and SMa's. I think you have the wrong set of microdot adapters. Have you tried the microdot to XLR adapters directly into your console or recorder to see how the microphones sound? Just FYI the XLR adapters are set to 48 volts Phantom powering.

The correct adapter is DAD 3056 and DPA says it works with LM,SM, and UM Lectrosonics

post-273-0-86826100-1322587035.jpg

I have the 3056... a no go with BOTH mics and BOTH adapters.

tried the XLR adapters - the only way i could hear anything from these mics (since the Lectro way was a no go) - directly into the Cantar as well as a Zoom H4n - level and tone mismatch between mics. this must be a mic problem, but i wonder why BOTH of them won't work with the 3056 adapters and my lectro LM/UM400...

Also swapped capsules and the problem travels, so it certainly seems like the DPA matching capsules are NOT really so...

-vin

The DPA is actually a very low voltage mic needing ~ 1.8 Volts at the mic. Their statement of a necessary 5 Volts is with a series resistor to drop the voltage to ~1.8 Volts. Any of the servo units provide way more voltage (regulated 4 Volts) than the minimum the DPA's need or can use.

However that doesn't explain why your units measure 2.7 Volts. Are these UM400a's or older units such as UM400's or UM200's? How are they being measured?

Thanks for any info.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Check if the adapters wiring is correct

check if your lm and um output at least 4 v ( i discovered that 2 of my ums are 2.7v what is good for any other but not for dpa )

MS

Hi MS,

So, two are measuring 2.7 Volts, which is low, and the others are measuring something higher like 4 to 5 Volts open circuit (?). If so, it sounds like the two low ones have something not right in the bias circuit.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

um 400 , from early 2005 ,

2.7 on open cirquet , i have about half dozen of these and all the rest except these 2 are normal .

the sankens , b6 , mke 2 and all the rest work properly ( older wiring) , the dpas (( um/uma wiring ) are not

MS

Hi Vin,

You should measure low resistance (short) from pin 1 of the 3056 to the shell of the microdot, low resistance from pin 2 to pin 4. About 4k from pin 3 to the center pin of the microdot. Open from pin 3 to the shell. Open from pin 4 to the shell. Open from pin 5 to the shell.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Larry, my UM400 is giving out 4.96V... checked the 3056 adapters, there is NO output voltage from the microdot side of the adapter.

Man, i got TWO dud 3056 adapters! I wonder what DPA has to say about this...

-vin

Larry, many thanks.

I think these 3056 adapters are duds.

pin 3 to shell is NOT open, but showing 3.9k ohm, just as pin 3 to center.

pin 1 to shell - low (~ .2 ohm)

pin 2 to pin 4 - low (~ .2 ohm)

pin 3 to center of microdot - 3.9k

**pin3 to shell - 3.9 k**

pin 4 to shell - open

This is the case with BOTH 3056 adapters.

Boy, what luck... or rather, what the *&#% DPA....

Larry, yes, it's a short. i had checked this earlier too and found a short, but after your run-through, it is evident. I am pissed off with DPA... was going to put them to use on a shoot coming up. now, no time to get CUB1s... will go with my old style of EMW's or COS11s rigged on the visors.

FROM DPA:

I am truly puzzled about what you mention about the two 4081 mics not being the match they are supposed to. (+-1dB at 1kHz)

Could you please let me have the serial numbers for me to look that up?

In terms of the adapters you have recieved, i can inform you that they are the correct ones for your wireless system, however the 4081 mics do not match the low DC wireless transmitters as e.g. the Lectrosonics. Only our lo DC microphones as the 4063 and 4067 will work properly with these.

" I wonder what DPA has to say about this... " + " Boy, what luck... or rather, what the *&#% DPA.... "

CRAP does happen...

I recently received 2 x DOA mic's (sequential s/n) from Neumann. These were from an initial run around the RoHS time, and both went back to Senn USA for repair of cracked lead-free solder, and I got a free pair of expensive Neumann wind screens for them by being understanding and patient.