G2 Rx to mixer wiring

Audio Daddyo

A friend wants me to repair his cable that goes from his G2 Rx to his mixer. It's a locking TRS mini to XLR male. Does anyone know the proper wiring for this cable.

Thanks,

Andy

Here you go. In the XLR the shield/ground goes to pins 1 & 3, positive to pin 2. In the 3.5mm, pin 2 wire goes to the tip, shield to the ground. Hint, split the shield into two legs, twist into a braid and tin them then solder a leg to pin 1 and a leg to pin 3. Lot easier then trying to wire in a jumper between them.

BTW if you're trying to fix the cable with the blue collar on the xlr end that came with the G2 from Sennheiser forget it. It's a molded cable that can't be repaired. OTOH I make replacement cables for the G2/3 series that are guaranteed for life (my life, not the cables) ::)

Eric

post-22-0-97201500-1322665233.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here you go. In the XLR the shield/ground goes to pins 1 & 3, positive to pin 2. In the 3.5mm, pin 2 wire goes to the tip, shield to the ground. Hint, split the shield into two legs, twist into a braid and tin them then solder a leg to pin 1 and a leg to pin 3. Lot easier then trying to wire in a jumper between them.

BTW if you're trying to fix the cable with the blue collar on the xlr end that came with the G2 from Sennheiser forget it. It's a molded cable that can't be repaired. OTOH I make replacement cables for the G2/3 series that are guaranteed for life (my life, not the cables) ::)

Eric

I was under the impression that on the G3 the tip is for mic level and the ring is for line with the remaining grounded. I have a made a few G3 cables like this for line in on the transmitter with no problems or level issues. I did some experimenting and used the tip as the "Hot" and saw no change in levels on the transmitter. maybe the G3's are a bit different than G2's, I couldn't find any official wiring info from Sennheiser?

-Jesse

Hey Eric, have you found any reason one should avoid using just a standard trs 3.5mm connector with the g3/g2? Such as the right angle version from Neutrik?

I realize the connection would be prone to pull out but other than that anything electrically significant?

You've answered your own question. NO problems continuity wise.

Eric

I was under the impression that on the G3 the tip is for mic level and the ring is for line with the remaining grounded. I have a made a few G3 cables like this for line in on the transmitter with no problems or level issues. I did some experimenting and used the tip as the "Hot" and saw no change in levels on the transmitter. maybe the G3's are a bit different than G2's, I couldn't find any official wiring info from Sennheiser?

-Jesse

You can only have the incomming audio feed just one connection in the 3.5TRS. If you're feeding the tx a line level "0" signal the connection should go to the ring in the 3.5 TRS to feed the proper circuit in the G2/3 tx. You can't attenuate the G2/3 mic input enough to accomodate the line level signal. I have a feeling feeding the ring input on the tx passes it through a 40-50 db pad.

Eric

You can only have the incomming audio feed just one connection in the 3.5TRS. If you're feeding the tx a line level "0" signal the connection should go to the ring in the 3.5 TRS to feed the proper circuit in the G2/3 tx. You can't attenuate the G2/3 mic input enough to accomodate the line level signal. I have a feeling feeding the ring input on the tx passes it through a 40-50 db pad.

Eric

That makes sense. I've grounded the tip and shield in this scenario . My only concern left is defeating the 5v mic phantom. I read that you need to use resistors to do this. I think I've had one problem because of this, using My 442's TA3 tape out to feed a G3 and 3.5mm tape out to feed the comtek (it must be a shared circuit). I'm getting heavy Comtek interference/noise with the G3 Switched on. Not a big deal but annoying none the less.

I've been using a G2 for years w/o issue along with an adjacent Comtec If usng the tip, for mic mic level, the ring is floated, for line level (and It won't take a full +4 ref.) The tip and sheild are tied.

"My only concern left is defeating the 5v mic phantom."

>> Not to nitpic, but the 5V, (or lower voltage) for lavs and such ain't Phantom. Pwr. Bias power (or current) is also known as 'Plug-in Pwr.' A whole differnt animal. Confusing the two can be a disaster.

Thank you both. I can feel the love in the room but no group hugs or singing cumbayah.

Eric

Funny you should say that Eric.

I'm seventy years old in a few weeks time and I've never felt the need to play a musical instrument but all of a sudden I have an irrepressible urge to play the ukulele banjo and I'm told that cumbayah is a good learning piece.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Funny you should say that Eric.

I'm seventy years old in a few weeks time and I've never felt the need to play a musical instrument but all of a sudden I have an irrepressible urge to play the ukulele banjo and I'm told that cumbayah is a good learning piece.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

You're 70yo? Welcome to my world. Obviously neither of us look our age. Congrats on reaching middle age with such aplomb, grace & style.

Eric

" the 5v mic phantom. " + " also known as 'Plug-in Pwr.' "

that is not phantom power. Phantom power is an industry standard for delivering DC voltage over balanced audio connections.

Unbalanced power for electrit condenser mic's comes in many propriatary forms (thus all the wiring options for transmitters) of which Sony's propriatary "Plug'N Power" is but one