The "Stupid Question" thread

Michael Miramontes

Regarding the original post, as previously stated, ENG = electronic news gathering.

However over time the term has evolved to mean a style of documentary type shooting with a small crew. (At least that’s the way the term is used in my small market, Milwaukee.) People use to use the term EFP or electronic field production for non-news shoots, but I don’t hear that term used anymore.

So if a producer calls me up to book me on an ENG type of shoot, my expectation is that I’ll be working out of a mixer bag with most likely two other people. A cameraman who will be shooting with a hand held or shoulder mounted camera and a field producer who will be directing us and conducting any interviews. The shoot will likely be fast moving with minimal or no lighting. It may include formal sit-down interviews and/or shorter OTF, or on the fly interviews. For sit-down interviews the cameraman will most likely use a tripod and do more elaborate lighting.

If someone calls and requests a “standard ENG audio package”, to me that means a shotgun mic and boompole, mixer bag with a 3 or 4 channel field mixer, two wirelesses with beltpack transmitters and lavs, and a breakaway cable for connection to the camera. A recorder or wireless link is not normally included. This seems to be evolving however and I always ask if these things are needed. Extra charges apply for these items.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder what some shorts mean, like IIRC for example..

The ones I've figured out:

IME - in my experience

IMHO - in my humble opinion (or as my friend said: In my hilarious opinion)

FWIW - for what it's worth

FYI - for your information

BTW - buy the way (hehe)

If this is not a stupid question I don't know what is, kthxbye

I often wonder what some shorts mean, like IIRC for example..

The ones I've figured out:

IME - in my experience

IMHO - in my humble opinion (or as my friend said: In my hilarious opinion)

FWIW - for what it's worth

FYI - for your information

BTW - buy the way (hehe)

If this is not a stupid question I don't know what is, kthxbye

If I Remember Correctly, it means 'if I remember correctly'...

sorry, couldn't resist...

~tt

I think the title of this thread could be changed to "Stupid questions and silly answers".

Thanks Mark,

That made me laugh -- and wonder if you don't ever put them up to it ; ). If I ever did have groupies, I'd be oblivious -- always have been... I think it's better that way, right?

~tt

I couldn't resist the opportunity to make a stupid joke. Glad it made you laugh. And yes, as a husband and father I think it would be best for you to ignore said groupies!

I can't say I've ever really done "electronic news gathering". That would mean I'm working for a news crew, right? I remember the first time I heard OTF. I kept thinking it was "Over The " something... fence, forest, fox, fridge...

Mark O.

What I wanna know is why are there always 4 or 5 kids standing within 10 feet of each other with headsets on, all simultaneously shouting "ROLLING!!!" at the top of their lungs... and they're usually standing right behind my cart. Who are they? Are they rolling as in rolling on Ecstasy? ...And, why do they have to YELL so much? ; )

~tt

I have a solution for that situation in the future - Put a sign up on your sharkfin pole stating the following: "If you are reading this and yelling... You are in target range.

Have a water pistol or a rubber band gun as a first warning shot... Then escalate to heavier weaponry as the situation determines. :)

I'm surprised no one asked what "IFB" stands for, but it gives me the chance to be the first to give the answer:

"Interruptible Fold Back".

In the 70s (and maybe earlier) "Fold Back (or foldback) was the term we used for audio monitoring to the production stage (now usually referred to as floor monitors or floor wedges or stage monitors. "Interruptible Fold Back" or IFB, was a special foldback circuit that allowed the director to talk to the on-air talant through the same earpiece they were using to listen to the program foldback. The interruptible foldback usually went through an earpiece so that the director's cues were not heard over the air. The IFB circuits we made back then muted - or interrupted - the foldback signal so that the director was easily heard by the talent.

After participating in the history, it's funny to hear the term "IFB" used as a generic term for any earpiece.

gt

I'm surprised no one asked what "IFB" stands for, but it gives me the chance to be the first to give the answer:"Interruptible Fold Back".

Hey, we always called it "Interruptible Feedback" in Florida. So did the guys for whom we did weekend remotes for at ABC and CBS -- many football and soccer games, from about 1972-1977 or thereabouts. Wikipedia says the same.

I just figured, "eh, it's easier than saying 'that thing that the associate director uses to yell at the talent.'" The floor loudspeaker wedges had a different function, usually by the FOH mixers. (That's Front of House, for those following along.)

Next, someone will ask what "F.A.B." stands for (from the old British Thunderbirds TV shows)...

--Marc W.

I have a solution for that situation in the future - Put a sign up on your sharkfin pole stating the following: "If you are reading this and yelling... You are in target range.

Have a water pistol or a rubber band gun as a first warning shot... Then escalate to heavier weaponry as the situation determines. :)

Geordi,

I love it! It might bring some liability issues into play -- I like the idea though. Maybe I'll just shoot them a patronizing smile... and if that doesn't work, a menacing glare often does the trick. But you usually have to follow up with that one -- some reassurance that you don't totally hate their guts -- otherwise they get this wounded puppy thing going and that's often worse than the yelling : )

~tom

In the slightly O.T. department:

While I'm generally in favor of less government intervention in our lives, there are two areas I believe are in dire need of legislation:

1) No Christmas music prior to December first.

2) One, and only one, organization or circumstance can utilize a given acronym. For instance, if the Culinary Institute of America gets there first, the Central Intelligence Agency is out of luck.

I think our quality of life will improve greatly with just these two changes.