Nomad as a mixer....

Rick Prell

Hey thanks for the answer. Well i m talking about the nomad s built in antenna being next to 2 Lectro sr rx. So from what i understand i should be carefull with how i set up the power of my ifb antenna ( when that s gonna be working of course ) and i should be good to go?

This is exactly the setup I have in mind and I think it's quite a nice one that will be interesting for many Nomad users. I do think that the Antenna should transmit at maximum power if you're not only using the antenna for a camera hop (instead sending a mix and TC to people who are more than a few meters away from you, maybe in other rooms).

I'm looking forward to user reports on the built in IFB's performance as soon as it works.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you'll have to keep an eye at both your IFB (Nomad) power level and the Tx placement used to send audio to the cam.

Just to be clear; keep in mind the Nomad doesn't actually send your audio signal to, say, a QRX100 velcroed to the cam; it sends ifb signal plus instructions (timecode,levels,freq changes...) to Txs on set and ERXs units if used for reference audio but this is not the same quality audio you'd have with an RX900 or QRX unit... At least this is what I'm understanding so far.

Last winter, when Nomad was announced, I, for a moment, had this fantasy of an integrated (physically swappable/updatable) transmitter in the unit for cam hop usage... :D

John Blankenship:

I don't know if you were referring specifically to my Nomad posts...

Not specifically responding to yours. I certainly have no issue with your point-of-view since I have a strong button-for-each-function bias myself.

What I was responding to was that there seems to be a "Why didn't Zaxcom make me the perfect unit?" slant to many of the responses and I was pointing out the impossibility of that task. No one can make a perfect unit that will please everybody. That's all I was saying in an attempt to remind people that manufacturers come up with a combination of design perimeters that they think will get some market penetration while targeting where and how the particular device will fit into their product line. Due to the backlog of Nomad orders, Zaxcom seems to have accomplished that goal rather well.

As a guy who came from the post world, I've been down this road before. Consoles were at one time a button per function, then some smarter consoles came out in the late 70s early 80s like the SSL4000. That board had more buttons and lights than anything else before it. Two buttons could change the signal flow of the entire channel in 4 ways. It took a lot of getting used to. The whole thinking thing. The whole manual thing. The whole computer thing.

Then, the whole "Virtual console" thing started. Each channel could be whatever you wanted, moved around, and controlled a brain of sorts somewhere else. Think Euphonics C2000, Digi Pro Control and whatnot. These babies let us do things unimaginable before. 7.1 channel on one fader instead of 8. Master faders wherever we wanted, in whatever number. So instead of spreading out 128 channels on a board that would be 40' wide and require lots of skating on a chair to get where you wanted, you can just move the important stuff to where you want it.

The next generation of virtual controllers got even smarter with the ICON controllers. Better layout for the virtualness that we are doing, rather than just imitate a function per button approach for familiarity. Once an ICON is mastered, its speed cannot be paralleled. Its footprint, electric use and the ability to upgrade its function without 5 dudes for a couple of weeks solder it. Install PT10 and read the manual.

I think the Nomad is a great evolutionary step. RTFM. Give useable feedback to the manufacturer and it may just end up working more how you want it to.

It also takes a leap of faith. It takes reading a manual instead of being able to just sit down and make "IT" happen. I sure love working on the old consoles, but every time I do, I get pissed now at how slow it is. I get pissed at how one channel doesn't sound the same as next. The repairs. The "Studio Tan" from the heat coming off of the board (Class A Neve and Tridents I'm looking at you).

Not specifically responding to yours. I certainly have no issue with your point-of-view since I have a strong button-for-each-function bias myself.

Nomad also has great input, output and card limiters and compressors. Nomad also has six mic pre's, notch filters, variable high pass filters, and programmable delay for each of the main inputs. Multiple metering options and and flexible HP routing.

Nomad has the mix 8

How often does anyone actually need a variable pan? Nomad has variable low cut filters.

Agreed - plus full Zaxnet control including IFB and TC transmission, Auto-mix, Never-clip, USB recording (Nomad 8, or 12 only), light weight and low power consumption. Plus Nomad runs cold with no real noticeable RF spray.

Please... The Nomad is has a lot of features, but to my knowledge variable low cut filters, Zaxnet, IFB, Auto-mix, USB recording, Micro-SD, and Mix-8 compatibility are not functional, so it cannot be said that it has these things. The Nomad doesn't get hot to the touch, but you can feel that it does get warm, and my test of the Nomad showed it pulling between 600mA and 700mA.

Glen Trew

To my knowledge, variable low cut filters, Zaxnet, IFB, Auto-mix, USB recording, and Mix-8 compatibility are not functional at this time. The Nomad doesn't get hot to the touch, but you can feel that does get warm, and my test of the Nomad showed it pulling between 600mA and 700mA.

Which version did you test with? I wonder if the features to come will add more current-useage overhead.

...then some smarter consoles came out in the late 70s early 80s like the SSL4000. That board had more buttons and lights than anything else before it. Two buttons could change the signal flow of the entire channel in 4 ways...

I think you've just identified one of the reason I like lots of buttons and pots... do ADR on a hybrid SSL4000E/G and nothing is nicer, so easy and powerful to use with all functions typically done in ADR accessible with a single button press. When I have to do sessions on set or other remote locale, it is always a pain in the arse due to having to configure things in a sometimes roundabout way to get the same functionality as the SSL, or a pain to operate and get actual feedback. Sometimes nothing beats an old fashioned big illuminated button that clicks and lights up bright when it is active.

Then you'll have to keep an eye at both your IFB (Nomad) power level and the Tx placement used to send audio to the cam.

Just to be clear; keep in mind the Nomad doesn't actually send your audio signal to, say, a QRX100 velcroed to the cam; it sends ifb signal plus instructions (timecode,levels,freq changes...) to Txs on set and ERXs units if used for reference audio but this is not the same quality audio you'd have with an RX900 or QRX unit... At least this is what I'm understanding so far.

Last winter, when Nomad was announced, I, for a moment, had this fantasy of an integrated (physically swappable/updatable) transmitter in the unit for cam hop usage... :D

Indeed the integrated transmitter is only for reference audio use, in my case perfect as I want to use the Nomad both for bag and cart work. I just talked to a mixer who has a Zaxcom-only system and he was very satisfied with the IFB system but said he raised the IFB transmitter to a height of about 2 meters in order to get the range he needed. With the IFB transmitter built in I wonder how well the IFB will work.

Please... The Nomad is has a lot of features, but to my knowledge variable low cut filters, Zaxnet, IFB, Auto-mix, USB recording, Micro-SD, and Mix-8 compatibility are not functional, so it cannot be said that it has these things.

Glen

I was pointing out the features of Nomad - and what a user can expect. while these features are not implemented yet they are coming. An investment in Nomad, or any other machine, is not a short term purchase - so even if some of these features are a few week, even a few months, away a user would most definitely benefit from these feature when they become available. Which would still leave the user many years of use of these features. So I think someone considering a major purchase should take into account features that would benefit them in the future.

Also, I'm not sure which version of software you are running but the variable high pass filters have be available for a while now.

As an update - testing of Zaxnet is underway and everything is looking great - so Zaxnet implementation should be soon.

Glen

I was pointing out the features of Nomad - and what a user can expect. while these features are not implemented yet they are coming. An investment in Nomad, or any other machine, is not a short term purchase - so even if some of these features are a few week, even a few months, away a user would most definitely benefit from these feature when they become available. Which would still leave the user many years of use of these features. So I think someone considering a major purchase should take into account features that would benefit them in the future.

There are several of us that have seen the promise of features from Zaxcom that have never materialized, especially if you are a Cameo owner like myself. Hopefully this time will be different.

Buy to be happy with "what is" not "what might be," and when new features are implemented, they'll be a nice plus.

I respect that Glenn (the manufacturer) promises that all the anticipated features will happen, but I also respect the position that Glen (a major dealer) is in, wanting to see that his customers are not disappointed. If Zaxcom won't offer feature guarantees to their dealers, the dealers can't offer them to their customers.

Zaxcom's Innovation is amazing but meeting delivery deadlines is not their strong suit. However, as an end user, I appreciate that they want to get the features right before releasing them.

The good news is that what is already operational in Nomad is ground-breaking in form and function.

I think you've just identified one of the reason I like lots of buttons and pots... do ADR on a hybrid SSL4000E/G and nothing is nicer, so easy and powerful to use with all functions typically done in ADR accessible with a single button press. When I have to do sessions on set or other remote locale, it is always a pain in the arse due to having to configure things in a sometimes roundabout way to get the same functionality as the SSL, or a pain to operate and get actual feedback. Sometimes nothing beats an old fashioned big illuminated button that clicks and lights up bright when it is active.

I am not a big fan of the whole "everything menu driven trend" Since my old Pioneer Supertuner lost the Bass Treble and balance knobs years ago, and all the car stereos went to the menu driven way of doing things, it always takes me too much time to get what i want done.... and, It's dangerous!!!

I think just a few buttons or switches is helpful...

But, the times are changing, and we need to deal with it.... put the manual by the toilet and read it at each "data dump"..... What can you do.... That was one reason i always liked the Fostex gear... a nice mix of buttons, switches and menus... but, they were BIG... and pricy.. as well as now long in the tooth a bit.... so there you go....

LOL, my aftermarket car stereo pisses me off to no end. My first few months with the 4000 was equally as aggravating. Once I learned Christmas tree mode for doing punches I never wanted to go back. I think I still have nightmares about my sessions with a C2000. I'm pretty sure the C2000 designer went to work at JVC to make car stereos.

SSL just makes superior UI for audio production IMO. Many debate their sonics (I do not), but their newer stuff like the AWS 900 are just brilliant. I want to buy one just for the monitoring section. But at 90K, maybe I'll stick with my SPL.

I am not a big fan of the whole "everything menu driven trend" Since my old Pioneer Supertuner lost the Bass Treble and balance knobs years ago, and all the car stereos went to the menu driven way of doing things, it always takes me too much time to get what i want done.... and, It's dangerous!!!

I think just a few buttons or switches is helpful...

But, the times are changing, and we need to deal with it....

Glen

Also, I'm not sure which version of software you are running but the variable high pass filters have be available for a while now.

As an update - testing of Zaxnet is underway and everything is looking great - so Zaxnet implementation should be soon.

Regarding whether or not digital variable low cut filters are working... I discovered that they were not working during the first several officially released firmware revisions, even though the option was available on the menu. After spending a lot of time trying to figure them out, I finally called, and was told that they were not working. But until then, from all the public information available, and from looking at the menu options, one could only assume that they were working. I have received numerous firmware revisions since then, all with notes about what was changed in each one, and none of those notes contain information about the variable low cut filters.

You were pointing out features that the Nomad does not have as if it does have them, and with full knowledge that it does not have them. It's not just me needing to be an advocate for customers; it's just wrong to intentionally present misleading and deceptive information to people who are trying to make an investment decision. It's clear that this has been going on for a long time now, and it should stop.

Glen Trew

Word!

I'm not at all hesitant in getting one when it arrives in Sweden, even though these functions aren't implemented "yet", it still looks like a great tool for my needs, But, buying anything with promised features that eventually will come sounds like a bad investment if you crave those features. I don't really, yet. I'll probably wonder how I managed without it when it's there... Anywho, glen is so right on calling it something thats there when it for a fact isn't. I know a children's story with a naked emperor that comes to mind...

But I'll still get it. :)

You were pointing out features that the Nomad does not have as if it does have them

I apologize to anybody that may have been mislead or confused as to what features currently are available and what isn't available yet. I was under the assumption that enough information was available here and through other sources that people know what was currently implemented.

Once again my apologies and I will make sure I am clearer in any future posts.

Jack

You were pointing out features that the Nomad does not have as if it does have them, and with full knowledge that it does not have them. It's not just me needing to be an advocate for customers; it's just wrong to intentionally present misleading and deceptive information to people who are trying to make an investment decision. It's clear that this has been going on for a long time now, and it should stop.

Glen Trew

Thank you Glen, your efforts here on this subject are greatly appreciated. The grandstanding and salesmanship, with regard to this product, have clearly gone beyond what I remember for any other product used in our field.

Olle,

Do not worry.

The future options will be enabled by a simple firmware update so you do not have to ship your Nomad back to the factory in the States.

Respect to Zaxcom for designing it that way.

Word!

I'm not at all hesitant in getting one when it arrives in Sweden, even though these functions aren't implemented "yet", it still looks like a great tool for my needs, But, buying anything with promised features that eventually will come sounds like a bad investment if you crave those features. I don't really, yet. I'll probably wonder how I managed without it when it's there... Anywho, glen is so right on calling it something thats there when it for a fact isn't. I know a children's story with a naked emperor that comes to mind...

But I'll still get it. :)

I'm not sweeping through all the posts, but does Nomad have at least a 3-band EQ for live sound reinforcement purposes to be used in a pinch where a small tabletop mixer isn't feasible?

I'm sorry, but according to the post police here, no one is allowed to answer your question until you've read all the posts. I know, I don't like it either but many people have had their pee-pee whacked for trying to do the same thing that you're doing.

(This is not a jab at you but at the other self-designated moderators)