NewEndian

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it normal to lose everything I have saved in the last version update? I'm not sure if the app did it in an update or my phone is being hostile (absolutely possible). Using the Android version.

Loving the app btw. Just did one day with a second mixer for the day. They started hours before me, so when I landed on location they were a few hours deep in shooting. It was really helpful to make sure the mix of wireless mics, IFB and camera hops all played nicely.

Alex, I added the Sony UWP-V1 series according to the spec sheet but the number of channels is a little bit off. Would you please do a comparison of the channel list and tell me what extra channels I have? (I should have 188 or 189 and I have 191)

John Paul, it's probably android acting up. Android doesn't have a built-in atomic save function, which means if the save process gets interrupted, the file is corrupted. When the file size was smaller it was a very unlikely problem, but now that the save data is getting to be more complex, I'm going to have to find a programmatic way to address it. Thanks for your feedback.

-James

Alex, I added the Sony UWP-V1 series according to the spec sheet but the number of channels is a little bit off. Would you please do a comparison of the channel list and tell me what extra channels I have? (I should have 188 or 189 and I have 191)

-James

Thank you very much James. I truly appreciate the incredibly fast addition of both US blocks! I'll also be happy to double check the frequency list, however for the life of me I can't figure out where you got a dedicated frequency list for these sets. I checked the manual, the website from the company and Google searched to no end as well. I even tried to use the RX to check the channels against what you've added in FreqFinder, but the RX skips channels unless there is a clean one on the auto-search.

So for example, the 30-32 block RX will jump from 566.125 - 566.875, not straight from 566.125 - 566.250. So in short, if you can send the spec sheet you used to create the list, I'll happily check them. Otherwise I have no way of double checking the list.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I was short on time during a shoot recently (who isn't), and I had to quickly set up a new frequency on a wireless. I looked up a compatible one in FreqFinder. I had all of my other freqs input, and listed. It showed me a compatible one. I set the freq. and, low and behold, it was only 0.2Mhz away from another one of my listed freqs. Clearly too close to use. It said it was OK though. In the future, would it be good to have a mod to the app software that will give a minimum of say, 100Mhz? between recommended freqs?

-Thank you for this helpful app.

Hi NY,

FreqFinder automatically keeps channels separated by x1.3 of the bandwidth (maximum deviation). For Lectrosonics, I did make the channel spacing larger. The reason for the liberal spacing is to give the user the option to squeeze channels if he needs and relies on the user to make more conservative choices if he feels he can.

Out of curiosity, what transmitters are you using (in particular, is it a 100kHz transmitter or a 150kHz transmitter)? If there is a consensus that the filters on these transmitters are a little more bandwidth hungry than other transmitters, I certainly can increase the spacing for them.

Also, and I just realized after hitting the send button, would you clarify between MHz and kHz. For instance 100MHz is too large to space between transmitters (most transmitters don't span 100 MHz). I imagine you meant 100kHz, but I'm not sure if you meant 0.2 MHz or 0.2 kHz.

Thank you,

James

Can one add arbitrary freqs non from US blocks?

I use for instance 433 MHz for timecode (BlackBoxVideo and Ambient timecode wireless), 446 MHz for boom op. com. walkies, video/director/IFB send is around 630 MHz (AKG PR/PT80 wireless), video send at 2,4 GHz and Lectros in US block 22...

I bought the app and would like to use it for more than the Lectros

Hi NY,

FreqFinder automatically keeps channels separated by x1.3 of the bandwidth (maximum deviation). For Lectrosonics, I did make the channel spacing larger. The reason for the liberal spacing is to give the user the option to squeeze channels if he needs and relies on the user to make more conservative choices if he feels he can.

Out of curiosity, what transmitters are you using (in particular, is it a 100kHz transmitter or a 150kHz transmitter)? If there is a consensus that the filters on these transmitters are a little more bandwidth hungry than other transmitters, I certainly can increase the spacing for them.

Also, and I just realized after hitting the send button, would you clarify between MHz and kHz. For instance 100MHz is too large to space between transmitters (most transmitters don't span 100 MHz). I imagine you meant 100kHz, but I'm not sure if you meant 0.2 MHz or 0.2 kHz.

Thank you,

James

I was using a Lectro system of a UM400 transmitter at 548.00Mhz. Then, a Lectro 195D system at 548.20Mhz. This receivers pilot tone squelch circuit opened and the RF meters showed full deflection. I did walk it away from the other systems transmitter, with the same open squelch, and pegged RF indication. Looking at a Lectrosonics frequency compatability chart that came with the 400 system, they don't have any frequencies closer than 0.5Mhz,. from another frequency. So, perhaps this should be the minimum used in the FreqFinder for Lectros? Or, perhaps it comes down to using the older 195D system with the newer 400 system. Had I more time I would have done a full test with mics attached and seen if it was just the pilot tone squelch opening, with no actual interference for the audio of the systems? -Keep up your good work. For your work the FCC should be paying you too!

Can one add arbitrary freqs non from US blocks?

I use for instance 433 MHz for timecode (BlackBoxVideo and Ambient timecode wireless), 446 MHz for boom op. com. walkies, video/director/IFB send is around 630 MHz (AKG PR/PT80 wireless), video send at 2,4 GHz and Lectros in US block 22...

I bought the app and would like to use it for more than the Lectros

In the last update James added the ability to enter custom frequencies.

I was using a Lectro system of a UM400 transmitter at 548.00Mhz. Then, a Lectro 195D system at 548.20Mhz. This receivers pilot tone squelch circuit opened and the RF meters showed full deflection. I did walk it away from the other systems transmitter, with the same open squelch, and pegged RF indication. Looking at a Lectrosonics frequency compatability chart that came with the 400 system, they don't have any frequencies closer than 0.5Mhz,. from another frequency. So, perhaps this should be the minimum used in the FreqFinder for Lectros? Or, perhaps it comes down to using the older 195D system with the newer 400 system. Had I more time I would have done a full test with mics attached and seen if it was just the pilot tone squelch opening, with no actual interference for the audio of the systems? -Keep up your good work. For your work the FCC should be paying you too!

NY,

Those transmitters should not have been compatible together in FreqFinder. I can't reproduce it either. Would you be able to show me a picture of this phenomenon? newendian@gmail.com

Thank you,

James

• 1 month later...

Hi James!

I absolutely love your app, it is one of the greatest things my iphone does. You truly are a great and kind wizard. I just spent the last 30 minutes reading this entire thread, and the tv add-on is hyped continuously throughout. I can't stop drooling thinking about being able to enter zip codes for future locations, and having tv signal strengths for that region in all the blocks just pop up like magic...

So, just wondering - how's it coming along?

Thanks!

-Byron

Hi Byron,

I had had to put the TV Add-on on the back burner while I worked a real job. But I've since cooled down on the real work and been working on the Add-on. I'm hoping to put out the iPhone version by September. (The Android version is also in progress, but will probably lag behind in release)

Cheers,

James

Hey heres a suggestion for a feature that would rock for me. How about letting it sync with other devices. For example I adjust the frequency of transmitter 1 on my iPad and it shows up on my iPhone. I dont know what you would need to do to do this but it would be sweet! If you wanna take it that much farther can you build an app for the mac book pro that does the same thing as well, I dont know if you can access the iCloud sync feature in iOS?

Finally if you could build venue software for the mac and make it interface with your product. Just kidding but wouldnt it be great if you could interface freq finder with the Lectrosonics venue software(subtle gripe that its not available on OSx).

Greatly looking forward to the finalized TV station segment. Especially if it will provide the ability to enter in zip codes for planning future locations.

I don't feel that iCloud features would be very helpful.

I would like to see the app save transmitter profiles across version updates. I just lost all my profiles and I had quite a few saved for different scenarios and cities.

I'm using the Android version on an HTC EVO.

Greatly looking forward to the finalized TV station segment. Especially if it will provide the ability to enter in zip codes for planning future locations.

I don't feel that iCloud features would be very helpful.

I would like to see the app save transmitter profiles across version updates. I just lost all my profiles and I had quite a few saved for different scenarios and cities.

I'm using the Android version on an HTC EVO.

+1

I would really appreciate the ability to enter zip codes, I've often found myself working indoors where my location can't be found until I go outside.

The memory issue on updates is annoying too.

I think it'd be awesome to be able to export a csv list which could be emailed to a group of sound mixers on a show. Maybe be able to import them into freq finder also. Quick easy way to share freq. Lists when working with multiple mixers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

My suggestions:

Ability to choose from USA or EU Tv channels to be displayed.

Regarding the TV add on and zip codes: It would be nice if a custom list of Channel occupation could be used in countries not regulated or which do not supply enough info for a dB calc. I could write down the channel occupation for the zip code or area marked and discard channels that should be occupied when precoordinating. I could build the database as needed.

It could have three data sources from which to choose.

-The full calc based in location.

-Estimated based in zip code when no data is available.

-Custom chart of simple TV channel assignment manually chosen.

Thanks and keep it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Eric,

FreqFinder's main functionality is not location specific. It only protects against interaction between your transmitters. Lectrosonics blocks 26-29 are supported.

FreqFinder has additional functionality that makes it aware of television transmitters, however, that data is currently only available in the US.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

James