NewEndian

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for making this very useful app. I look forward to using it.

Here are some initial impressions after I bought and installed the Android version and played with it for about 10 minutes.

- I would prefer the "new channel" button to automatically load a new compatible channel rather than just the lowest freq in the current lectro block. Also, I would like there to be a prompt or selection menu for how many new channels you want to add so that with just two or three button presses you can load up as many compatible channels as required, as it is now there is much repetitive button pressing to load up a whole list. Of course this assumes they are all in the same block. If you need a bunch in another block I guess you would just add a new channel and then modify it manually. - probably you could come up with a more elegant solution than me but I feel that the more 'automatic' this app can be by default all the better as far as I'm concerned... manual control is also of course important but secondary if you ask me.

- I would also like the ability to just enter in the frequency manually which will make the app compatible with all makes and models of wireless devices. For example I have some Sennheiser SK50s that I use often. They use a slightly different block start and end than Lectro as well as different freqs.

- For the TV database portion I would like the ability to enter a zip code so I can use the app to plan out what blocks I need for out-of-town work.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

-Derek

Hey guys. Great ideas. Auto tune plus multi-add TXs is what I was thinking when Wyatt brought up the slowness of initial setup. Also when the TV in-app purchase is officially released, it will definitely include the ability to preload and save station data from any specified location in the US. But those are not trivial tasks. They'll have to wait til after the holidays.

I'll have to include user defined transmitters much later though, when I figure out how to deal with the large numbers of parameters that people could possibly put in. In the meantime, Sennheiser G2/G3 is a priority. What else do you guys have out there?

-James

Hey James- Just picked this up yesterday and I'm really happy with the UI and basic functionality.

This is somewhat of a repeat request of what Scott had mentioned, but I thought I would get a little more specific. For those of us using multiple tx/rx in one block, frequently going to one dual channel rx, having a more diverse selection of preferred (good,better best) frequencies is necessary. For example, right now when you utilize the TV data search, it will give you a section (multiple frequencies at one end of the spectrum) that is determined to be *best*, but for those of us using Lectro SR dual channel receivers, we need to know the *best* frequency at the opposite end of the block to be able to avoid interference at the receiver. SR/SRa do not operate well when both frequencies are even reasonably close.

For me, the TV data function wouldn't be worth the extra charge until the preferred frequency selection could be a little more diverse.

Ok, I wasn't sure what you were asking, but then I read Scott's post, so I understand you were referring to Autotune.

Yeah, there are a few considerations with Autotune. Right now the algorithm is pretty relaxed and you can squeeze a fair amount of frequencies in, but that doesn't mean you want to. One of the nice things about having people select their own channels is that I can rely on people using common sense and not putting channels too close unless they have to. And people can determine for themselves the trade between having the best TV channel versus having too many transmitters squeezed into that TV channel. So it's no small undertaking. There will be a lot of thought put into it.

Other than the TV estimated field strength at your location (*BEST*), there are no preferred frequencies in the app. The app checks for a certain threshold and rejects or accepts frequencies. It doesn't say that one is better than another.

New Endian,

Thanks for the Apps (both of them), I just bought this app, and I look forward to using it on set.

In my initial setups the app is crashing alot. I can replicate the crash as follows:

Add new tx. Change Lectro block. Click Compatible to set frequency, and the app crashes.

I'm on a Motorola Droid 2 Global.

I've also noticed a couple other minor things. When modifying the info for a tx, if I change from portrait to landscape, or vise versa, it takes me back to the home screen. Not really a big deal, but would be nice if it didn't kick me out of that screen when I flip my keyboard open to type in a new transmitter name.

Thanks for putting the time and effort into creating this app, wireless is something all of us spend a lot of effort and time working with and working on, and these tools are a big help.

K

Hey K. That is a very odd error. That is to say you can't use the compatibility function at all. Is anyone else having this error? I'll look through the forums to see if there is anything Droid specific I should be aware of.

I meant to disable landscape mode but I suppose I shouldn't if people will be using sliding keyboards. I'll work on that.

Thanks for letting me know,

James

Hey Richard, I'll be sure to write up some documentation a little further down the road. Some features need to be fully realized or else the documentation will be incomplete. But I'll message you privately and go over anything you have questions about.

Brent, thank you for your wishes. There are quite a few feature requests on the table and many of them are large undertakings, but they are for the most part features that I agree with. The app is far from finished, but I'm committed to making it the definitive app for intermodulation calculation.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Sincerely,

James

Other than the TV estimated field strength at your location (*BEST*), there are no preferred frequencies in the app. The app checks for a certain threshold and rejects or accepts frequencies. It doesn't say that one is better than another.

I guess this is the part that puzzles me. The version that I have isn't filtering anything due to TV search results. I've checked multiple blocks and every single frequency shows after I do search. I guess I'm use to the Intermodulation Analysis System by IAS that actually filters out frequencies that have enough interference to make them problematic. That gives you a more accurate, but still diverse list of options to choose from.

Yes that is correct. This app does not do any filtering based on TV results where as IAS does. That is a deliberate design decision made for a few reasons. One being that then a person could weigh the advantage of spacing his transmitters out against the advantage of having all of his transmitters in the TV channel with the lowest estimated field strength. IAS has a threshold and you don't know whether any particular TV channel was completely clear or on the border of that threshold. The app's dBuV value gives you a way to compare the cleanness of TV channels against each other and make an informed decision.

Hey K. That is a very odd error. That is to say you can't use the compatibility function at all. Is anyone else having this error? I'll look through the forums to see if there is anything Droid specific I should be aware of.

I meant to disable landscape mode but I suppose I shouldn't if people will be using sliding keyboards. I'll work on that.

Thanks for letting me know,

James

I should clarify this. I can use the compatible button to change frequencies of already existing transmitters, it only crashes if I change the block, then click compatible. I'll play around some more and see if I can find any other situations that cause it.

I really look forward to getting rid of the torn up piece of paper that is the lectro intermod chart in the pouch of my bag!

Thanks again.

K

http://wanderingear.net

-edited to clarify.

IAS has a threshold and you don't know whether any particular TV channel was completely clear or on the border of that threshold.

The IAS software does actually allow you to view the level of the TV signal, as well as to choose whether you would like to include stations with weaker or stronger signals in your filter.

I do understand and appreciate the reasoning behind your design as well.

Just got back from 2 shoots in Western Washington St... only coordinated 5 freqs (plus a couple of alts just in case) but the freqs I used were all very clean. Thanks James! I'd post my wish list for additions/changes, but they were all pretty much covered already. I particularly agree with Scott Farr regarding multiple freqs and an auto-tune function -- would definitely save time in the field. Looking forward,

~tt

dBuV value is for US users who have enabled the TV Preview (dB also means dBuV but shortened for aesthetics)

I added a preliminary Move command to the Android version in the latest update. Press and hold the TX to bring up Delete and Move.

Also there is a small issue with the Android version that causes more than 2 TXs on the same channel to eliminate all of the channel options from the compatible list. This is a natural result of the algorithm (512MHz - 512MHz = 0 Mhz : all channels are within 0 MHz of themselves). I solved this on the iphone version by declaring all but one transmitter on the same channel to not really exist. I'll add that to the android version now.