NewEndian

Hey Peter, I can't get your combination of transmitters to bring up the alerts on my iPod touch 4th generation. Which probably means that there is a different implementation of the shaders in the graphics hardware of the 3GS than in a later device. Today I will find a used 3rd generation ipod touch to buy to use for testing. At the very least, I will post an update that will give the option of turning off hardware acceleration. To be sure, you're using an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5, correct? I would appreciate anyone else confirming on their device that this combination of transmitters does not work for them.

Jim, the tv station data isn't taken into account with the intermodulation calculation. But there is a lot of data that the FCC provides that is factored into the resulting field strength calculation. It wouldn't be practical for a person to enter in all of the information for every tv station in the area. But let me ponder on how to best address your idea for the TV add-on.

Thanks,

James

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi James

Thanks again for your reply.

My phone's version is 4.2.1 (8C148)

I found this info in "settings, general, about"

Modem firmware version 05.15.04 in case this info helps.

I'll double check what iTunes tells me when I connect to my computer later today but last time I connected to iTunes a few days ago, it said my phone was up to date.

in the meantime, do you want to give me a combination of blocks/freqs to try and see if it conflicts with what you have? I can report back my findings.

Cheers

Peter Mega

I may have missed this but how would one factor/set up Freq Finder using a mixed bag with Lectrosonics and Zaxcom? I have 5 Lectrosonics used as body mics and the Zaxcom Digital Stereo Link ((RX900/TX900)? So the Zaxcom transmitter is in the side of the bag with along with Lectrosonics inside the bag and I can see some RF bleed from the Zaxcom hitting my Lectrosonics, even with 4 blocks seperation.

TIA

I ran a search from my phone and didn't turn up anything.

Peter, your iOS version is a few versions behind the latest. My intent is to support is to support version 4.0 and above, and I will setup this ipod with that version so that I know the minimum specs work. Upgrading iOS to version 5 is a big undertaking and requires you to restore your applications from the computer it's synced to, so I don't expect you to try updating your version of iOS, but it would be useful to know if that solves the problem. Feel free to wait to see what I find with the 3rd generation ipod touch though.

-James

Brooks, I haven't done very much research on the Zaxcom transmitters yet and so the app isn't really set up for those transmitters. If you wanted to get an approximation, you could try entering the Zaxcom frequency in as a Lectrosonics transmitter. I would be interested to hear how that works for you. Interestingly enough, frequency separation alone does not eliminate intermodulation problems. You could also consider having your transmitter and receivers filters checked for the proper tuning, as well, to ensure that their performance is optimal.

-James

Peter, your iOS version is a few versions behind the latest. My intent is to support is to support version 4.0 and above, and I will setup this ipod with that version so that I know the minimum specs work. Upgrading iOS to version 5 is a big undertaking and requires you to restore your applications from the computer it's synced to, so I don't expect you to try updating your version of iOS, but it would be useful to know if that solves the problem. Feel free to wait to see what I find with the 3rd generation ipod touch though.

-James

Thanks James,

I connected my phone to itunes and can confirm itunes shows my phone is up to date with version 4.2.1

I wouldn't even know how to upgrade to iOS 5 even if I wanted to!!! Sorry!!!

I'll just wait to see what you find with your 3rd gen ipod.

FYI, thougt I'd upload some screen shots from my phone/FreqFinder app for you. The TX List screen is accross 2 pics (didn't fit on one screen shot) and the TX Details screen shot of one of my freqs.

All the other freqs show Status: OK just the same as this shot.

Many Thanks again,

Peter Mega

post-1467-0-21368100-1327025981.png

post-1467-0-72461700-1327026029.png

post-1467-0-36566400-1327026045.png

James, thanks for your response.

I actually set up Freq Finder exactly as you recommend, with the Zaxcom transmitter frequency deemed a Lectro. The issue of Lectro/Zaxcom interaction has been discussed at length here and on other forums, and fortunately I get good results with my pairings - my Zaxcom is four blocks away from the Lectros so I have plenty of separation. I was just wondering if there was some FF info that I might not be aware of.

Cheers.

iPhone users:

I pulled the hardware acceleration. I wasn't able to get my hands on a 3rd gen ipod touch as quickly as I had wanted to, and I need to be able to be sure that the algorithm works the same way on all devices. While the hardware acceleration is powerful, the GPU algorithm did not have nearly as much optimization as the CPU algorithm, simply because I spent so much more time with the CPU algorithm. And I learned a few more tricks in writing the GPU algorithm that I was able to add to the CPU algorithm. I also needed to update the algorithm to support more transmitters, and I didn't want to be maintaining two sets of algorithms, so I went with the CPU algorithm. I will have to revisit hardware acceleration another day.

I submitted the update. The speed difference without hardware acceleration isn't noticeable until 20+ transmitters. I have also added the other Comtek transmitters, as well as Zaxcom and Sennheiser transmitters.

And by all means, tell me what transmitters you would like to see (and if you have links to their manuals, even better!)

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...

Status update: TV add-on is coming along nicely. The idea is that you will be able to save multiple locations and download the appropriate TV data for those locations for use on the go. Also, a single location profile may consist of multiple points on the map and the dB ratings will reflect the worst case values for each TV channel. This can be used for trying to set channels for the day, or choosing blocks for use over a cross country trip.

Future: I've seen the articles on the new white space networks being activated and I want to make white space coordination the next feature for the app. Any info on this is appreciated. Probably best to post on this page and I will keep up to date on it:

My current understanding is this:

1. At least 2 channels in an area are protected for our use

2. One can register with the FCC to protect channels for a certain time period but that must be done 30 days in advance

3. Licensed spectrum coordinators like Spectrum Bridge can be used by white space devices to find open channels

My hope with the app is to:

1. At least be able to use these coordinators to filter out channels in use by white space devices

2. Give users an easy way to register a channel as "in-use" for a period of time

I will look further into this, including contacting Spectrum Bridge.

iPhone users:

I pulled the hardware acceleration. I wasn't able to get my hands on a 3rd gen ipod touch as quickly as I had wanted to, and I need to be able to be sure that the algorithm works the same way on all devices. While the hardware acceleration is powerful, the GPU algorithm did not have nearly as much optimization as the CPU algorithm, simply because I spent so much more time with the CPU algorithm. And I learned a few more tricks in writing the GPU algorithm that I was able to add to the CPU algorithm. I also needed to update the algorithm to support more transmitters, and I didn't want to be maintaining two sets of algorithms, so I went with the CPU algorithm. I will have to revisit hardware acceleration another day.

I submitted the update. The speed difference without hardware acceleration isn't noticeable until 20+ transmitters. I have also added the other Comtek transmitters, as well as Zaxcom and Sennheiser transmitters.

And by all means, tell me what transmitters you would like to see (and if you have links to their manuals, even better!)

Cheers,

James

Hi James

Any plans to update the app for use with Audio Ltd 2040 transmitters? The TX2040 user manual can be found here -

http://www.audioltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/tx2040_ug.pdf

and the Mini TX manual can be found here -

http://www.audioltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/minitx_ug.pdf

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Marc. It's important to me that you guys are supported and that I put out a quality product.

Brian, the application update process is too slow for me to put in incomplete transmitter information that I can't change quickly if I need to. What I've done is to program in for the app to check a very small amount of webspace that I have for changes to the transmitter list. Then I will feel comfortable putting in the Audio Ltd block you have provided and I'll assume it conforms to UK legislation for audio transmitters. That update sadly will take 3-8 days depending on Apple. In the meantime the guys at Audio Ltd have not responded to me. If anyone has a block they'd like supported, I'll need the 32 channel preset list. Email: newendian@gmail.com