Sanken CUB-01 with Lectro Tx

soundtrane

If i get the Sanken CUB-01s with the XLR barrel, use a Denecke 48v PH supply and then go to a lectro Tx (LM or UM)...

Basically, if i had a car scene and it was not being towed (in which case, i can hard wire the CUB-01s), I would need to go wireless...

Knowing the output from the Denecke will be at line level balanced... to go into a Lectro Tx? Wondering...

-vin

EDIT: obvious brain fart - has to be mic level...

I may not understand fully what is being recommended here but the CUB requires special wiring to match our transmitters.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/faqdb/110-073-How-do-I-wire-a-Sanken-CUB-01-to-an-SM-transmitter/View-details.html?qh=YTo2OntpOjA7czo2OiJjdWItMDEiO2k6MTtzOjI6InRvIjtpOjI7czoyOiJhbiI7aTozO3M6OToiY3ViLTAxIHRvIjtpOjQ7czoxMjoiY3ViLTAxIHRvIGFuIjtpOjU7czo1OiJ0byBhbiI7fQ%3D%3D

<<<The Sanken CUB-01 boundary mic does not seem to have the usual FET output stage and also seems to have a large capacitor across the power supply lead (bias lead). This means that it can't be wired as the usual three wire microphone with the SM. The wiring below seems to work well and is fully compatible with our other transmitters.

Our pin 1 to Sanken shield (ground).

Our pin 2 to Sanken black wire (5 Volt power).

Our pin 3 to a 511 Ohm resistor and the other end to Sanken white wire (audio). This matches well to our 300 Ohm input input while providing a satisfactory 811 Ohms to the Sanken mic.

Our pins 4 and 5 no connections.>>

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

the output from denecke will be mic level .

if you ask me it is waste of good battery , just make the TA5 inter connector male/female on cable before the phantom to bias adaptor , in your case exactly as old wiring for cos 11

MS

I have a CUB wired with a TA5, as described. Plugs straight into my SM with no problem.

Otherwise, just do the same as you would with any other wireless mic plant or wireless boom. Denecke power supply to transmitter. It's mic level, as said before, so no worries there. Works fine. Just an extra piece of gear.

Robert

With the requirement of the 511 ohm resistor, and specific wiring for the TA5 FOR Lectro Tx, can it be safely assumed that this will not affect the usage with XLR and the 48Ph converter barrel?

It doesn't affect it. I have two CUB-01's wired with a TA5 breakout cable as Jack describes above (done by Blake Wilcox at Wilcox Sound/Burbank), and they work great -- hard-wired or wireless with the SMa's. The CUBs have saved my fanny a few times in difficult-to-handle dialog situations.

--Marc W.

• 2 months later...

hase anybody here used the Cub with Zaxcom transmitters? i'm buying my first Sanken Cub-01 and was thinking about the more opportune termination option to choose, since i'm also ordering a couple of QRX100 with LT transmitters.

any input is appreciated, thanks.

v.

hase anybody here used the Cub with Zaxcom transmitters? i'm buying my first Sanken Cub-01 and was thinking about the more opportune termination option to choose, since i'm also ordering a couple of QRX100 with LT transmitters.

any input is appreciated, thanks.

v.

Cub-01 straight into my zaxcom trx900LT, used it again today, works great.

I am not a big fan of the CUB-01 but I know there are many here who use them all the time with good results. I have had two of them but I have sold them since I really didn't use them. I will add that you really need to have s current (new) version or you will have trouble with digital wireless. The new ones work just fine and have the added bonus of being very much more RF proof (all RF sources, not just digital wireless).

which is the procedure? did you ask the dealer to make these pigtails when you've bought the cub? or did you buy the cub without end connector and wire it yourself?

i got some cub pigtails a few months ago. they work fine with my zaxcoms. make sure they are new though as there was a mod a few years back to shield the cub against rfi from digital transmitters and cell phones.

i asked the dealer to order me pigtail versions.

a few years ago, with my xlr cubs, i tried cutting off the barrel and wiring it for my audio 2040's but couldnt get it to work. but i assume i was doing something wrong as i hear people do this very successfully with their lectros. you would have to check with one of the suppliers what they have been ordering for use with zaxcoms.

• 9 months later...

I am not a big fan of the CUB-01 but I know there are many here who use them all the time with good results. I have had two of them but I have sold them since I really didn't use them. I will add that you really need to have s current (new) version or you will have trouble with digital wireless. The new ones work just fine and have the added bonus of being very much more RF proof (all RF sources, not just digital wireless).

Well, I realise I'm resurrecting he dead here, but I know Jeff is certainly still around.

So, Jeff, what do you perfer over the CUB 01?

Tom