Brooklyn-based Indie Feature (Dec. 27-30, Jan 2-5)

I'm directing my first feature in late Dec/early Jan, and still looking for the right person to handle sound. The ideal candidate should be Brooklyn/NYC-based and have his/her own gear. Though we're shooting on a relatively minimal budget, I've set aside a decent amount of money for sound. Send a list of your past projects w/links and an equipment list if you want to be considered for this project: derick@fstopimages.com

Thanks,

Derick

Hi Derick, and welcome...

" Send a list of your past projects w/links and an equipment list if you want to be considered for this project: "

I suspect some of us would like to see your qualifications and experience...to see if we want to consider your project.

Edited by studiomprd

I'm directing my first feature in late Dec/early Jan, and still looking for the right person to handle sound. The ideal candidate should be Brooklyn/NYC-based and have his/her own gear. Though we're shooting on a relatively minimal budget, I've set aside a decent amount of money for sound. Send a list of your past projects w/links and an equipment list if you want to be considered for this project: derick@fstopimages.com

Thanks,

Derick

Decent amount as in how many Dollars not Subway tuna sandwiches? BTW are you shooting on a Red or a DSLR?

Eric

You will be the only one getting paid on set. Not even our DP!

I'll believe that when I see it. I got told that on a recent project offer, and they started the offer by telling me that a production house had signed on to the project to provide lights, camera, and sound... For points. But then they had suddenly "gotten busy" and weren't able to accommodate the project any more.

I don't know if I believe that... But I have to offer a HUGE thanks to our own Marc Wielage for my reply: I'm sure the project is a passion for them, but this is a career for me and I have to be paid. Lo and behold... He found money and agreed to a comfortable number before the end of the call. Supposedly even the actors are doing this for free, based on a pickup option. Wonders will never cease.

Marc - I love that video, and find myself quoting it in real life situations constantly. What is even funnier... My film friends from other departments know *exactly* the reference I'm making when I do, they love it just as much. Thank you for both some excellent answers to the ultra-ultra-ultra lowballers... and proof that real life is stranger than fiction.

Marc - I love that video, and find myself quoting it in real life situations constantly. What is even funnier... My film friends from other departments know *exactly* the reference I'm making when I do, they love it just as much. Thank you for both some excellent answers to the ultra-ultra-ultra lowballers... and proof that real life is stranger than fiction.

I got calls last year when I first put up the cartoon from VFX people, from editors, and camera op friends of mine all saying, "you're kidding! I thought this kind of crap only happened to us!" (And I again thank Marti Humphrey and Richard Ragon for independently inspiring some of the lines in this video.)

I don't doubt that low-balling also happens to caterers, drivers, and grips, too...

--Marc W.

• 4 months later...

Quotes from a filmmaker that was looking to hire on deferred payment a few months back: "If you are doing Sound just for the money, then you are in the wrong business. Indies are all about jumping on projects with scripts that you can truly believe in. If you had a passion for this business, then you'd understand."

I think we have talked to the same person.

Quotes from a filmmaker that was looking to hire on deferred payment a few months back: "If you are doing Sound just for the money, then you are in the wrong business. Indies are all about jumping on projects with scripts that you can truly believe in. If you had a passion for this business, then you'd understand."

You are more than welcome to hire me on deferred payment.

And I will be more than happy to defer delivery until I have that green money in my hand. Sorry, you want to defer, I don't trust that your check isn't printed on rubber.