Crazy hummm on a Schoeps.

Npoberaj

Wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before?

Here is the set up: 788T/cl8 powerd by an NP-1 through a bds. Schoeps Cmit-5U is the mic. CC to internal CC on boom. First time working in Europe....

For the last two days whenever inside or close to electronics/power the mic starts making or picking up a crazy hum (maybe rf) noise which increases the closer you get it to electronics...

But I have been shooting here in Italy for two weeks already and this just started happening...

I have switched to a different cimt-5U once, same problem...

Could it have something to do with the batteries being charged on a EU power grid?

Bad Internal CC?

Did i brake 2 blue schopes by plugging them in while the 788 was on...

Any other ideas ?

Thanks,

Nejc P

Replace the boom cable with a canare starquad and Neutrik EMC connectors this combo has amazing RF rejection. or turn off the electronics(may not be possible)... Make sure you are running completely on battery to avoid any ground loops, or polarity/phase issues from converted and or native power systems.

For the last two days whenever inside or close to electronics/power the mic starts making or picking up a crazy hum (maybe rf) noise which increases the closer you get it to electronics...

What electronics exactly? Bring your cable/boom close to suspected sources. Usually it is not HF but 50Hz or some overtones due to square-wave voltage of dimmed light-equipment. I experienced this even with KinoFlo's. Some spray, some don't, although looking like the same model. It might be an issue with some specific model revisions. The CMIT should be quite HF/spray tight.

Could it have something to do with the batteries being charged on a EU power grid?

I strongly doubt it. If you plug in a charger that only accepts 110Vac into our 230Vac it will either be switched off by it's internal fuse or somehow smoke to charger-heaven. It probably won't even do anything to the battery, although there might be cheap units around that might kill it. Better chargers detect the present voltages or provide a manual switch.

By the way, a cable or PSU carring a 230V sin emits obviously a bigger field than one with 110V. This might be a reason why you did not experience this on the American continents.

Thanks guys. I think I figured it out.... (Bad cable/connection) The few times it happened we were kinda in run and gun moments so I couldnt carry to much spare equipment with me to try and resolve the issue on the spot. I wish i would have also switched the mic to a 416 and have seen how that changed things... Next time.