Incorporating Lectrosonics SNA600 into a 788T bag rig

JDirckze

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered, and I've been busy reading up on past posts, but I just wanted to double check a couple of things.

I've just taken delivery of a 788T and was hoping to put together an antenna system using a Lectrosonics SNA600, to improve range for those jobs where I get to sit and might be a little further than I normally would be from 'talent' (I'm a bag mixer for TV/Reality/Ob Doc etc)

I know that some are using the Mini Circuits ZFSC41. Is there any difference to this and say, the PSC RF Multi?

Do I also need something like the Lectrosonics UFM50 to make up for loss of the passive RF splitter? I'm guessing that would also work with the PSC RF multi? Are there any other options? Does the UFM50 insert between SNA600 and splitter input?

Is that about the size of things?

Thanks!

Jase

Hi Jase,

The 4 way Mini-Circuits splitter is an excellent device but has 6 dB of loss. You will need an RF amp ahead of it to make up the loss, particularly if you need all the range you can get. Here is a place to start to increase your knowledge:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/faqdb/Distribution/

Here is our wideband amp and a description of your exact situation:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/182-UFM230/View-details.html

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Hi all, I know this topic has been covered, and I've been busy reading up on past posts, but I just wanted to double check a couple of things. I've just taken delivery of a 788T and was hoping to put together an antenna system using a Lectrosonics SNA600, to improve range for those jobs where I get to sit and might be a little further than I normally would be from 'talent' (I'm a bag mixer for TV/Reality/Ob Doc etc) I know that some are using the Mini Circuits ZFSC41. Is there any difference to this and say, the PSC RF Multi? Do I also need something like the Lectrosonics UFM50 to make up for loss of the passive RF splitter? I'm guessing that would also work with the PSC RF multi? Are there any other options? Does the UFM50 insert between SNA600 and splitter input? Is that about the size of things? Thanks! Jase

You can use those Mini-Circuits splitters w/o an RF amp, but you need antennas that have gain of their own to come out even (and watch your cable length). I've done this for many years w/ cheapo log-periodics, and the range has been adequate. For the bago-SNA600 the full solution (w/ amp) would rock, if you have the room and the DC avail for it. The thing w/ bags though--it's sometimes just easier to move closer and use less technology?

phil p

I've been using these passive mini-circuits 4-way splitters with my cart mast without amps with excellent performance. Depending upon the location (RF traffic), i've been able to get ranges of a couple hundred feet (or more) away from talent and boom op with using my ALP620 + SNA600 with the splitters, no amps.

We have not played with the PSC RF Multi. It has the advantage of being amplified whereas the MiniCircuits would require an outboard amp. The PSC device is very wideband (not good). It is three times as wide as our amps for instance (230 MHz vs 850 MHz). The other thing that is bothersome, is there is no third order intercept spec. Further it is powerable from two 9 Volts, which indicates a lower power amplifier block, again not optimum and maybe why there is no third order spec. Noise figure spec is very good considering the bandwidth. Again, this is just from their web site; I have not measured one.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

Thanks Larry/Philip/Zach,

I'm finally getting my head around it all.

Still interested in any opinions on the PSC RF Multi, it seems like the same product as the Mini-Circuits, but nicely housed and more aesthetically pleasing...

Cheers,

Jase