Betso timecode display

Glen Trew

In an earlier thread, Steve Grider mentioned a new timecode display device from Betso. Here is a link to a photo of the TCD-1 on Steve's rig:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150441864098699&set=pu.304780963698&type=1&theater

Trew Audio has these in stock in Nashville and Toronto, and will have them in Los Angeles at Coffey Sound tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday, Dec, 7). Come take a look.

Glen Trew

• 3 months later...

There has been one of these at Coffey Sound for quite some time. I looked at and was extremely impressed with the design and build quality, impressed as well with its impressive price tag. When I found out it was just a reader/display, I lost all interest. It's not that it is so overpriced considering the materials, workmanship and build quality, it is just that who has $600. to spend on a display?

Several months ago, I had been doing a number of 5D shoots with very small crews. I had taken a Denecke TS-1 and put a sling on it to carry it from place to place for these run-and-gun shoots. I thought it would be much less trouble to have a display that I could attach to my rig, and have the shooter just pan over to shoot me as I boom. It would be lighter, and one less thing to keep up with. I approached Glen at his shop in Nashville and asked if he would be open to design such a thing. A couple of weeks later, Glen showed me what Betso had already manufactured. It was perfect for my needs.

When you are a one-man band out there, booming and riding levels, having one less loose piece of gear out there is worth the money (in my opinion). The price is high, but like Jeff said, it is very well made.

I will still keep my two Denecke TS-1s, but when its up to me to tote it around, the Betso goes on the bag.

I just wish it wasn't Lemo. Steve, how long does the internal lithium polymer battery last? It'd be ideal to just jam it without the need to stay tethered in case you need to pull it away. Looks like that won't come till later this year. I really wish Denecke would fill this void. They really have it down to a science. I have a shoot coming up that has an XDCAM, EX3, and other mixed media...anything from an iPhone to Flip to GoPro, all at a moment's notice. I'd also hate to get it only to have the one that I really want come out a month later, although you'd think I'd be used to that by being an iPhone owner.

The fully charged battery will last me an entire production day. I usually don't have to set it to maximum brightness and I turn it off between setups.

I usually hardwire it for timecode when it is on my Deva Fusion rig. I did experiment with a Comtek transmitter and receiver, and with a little velcro and the right cables, it can be wireless, too.

• 4 years later...