Comments on new Sign Up

Jeff Wexler

Quote from Scott:

"Can you put up a web page that the user fills out and then has to enter the coded letter/number message which then sends a email to their address that then have to click on to verify?"

No, I am not able to do that routine (which I know is a common technique for avoiding all the nonsense I am going through). The software package that runs this Forum does not provide for that sort of sign up. If I were a little more skilled in html and real web construction, I could put up such a page on my regular website (not this Forum) which could sign people up, authorize and all that stuff. I am not able to do it on my own, sorry.

The way it has been working so far is that people sign up and an email is sent to me that I have to authorize their sign up. I then approve it, an email is sent, and the new member can then sign in. This would work if people wanting to join would use real names and not cryptic login names --- then it woud be easy for me to just NOT verify (but delete) those requests which look bogus.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler