SD 744t/552 vs. Zaxcom Nomad

saadasound

Wow, the upgradeablity is pretty cool of the Zazcom, but if you need something in a predictable amount of time that does make the added cost of an SD more palatable.

I think the idea is more of future proofing Nomad - you buy what you need/can afford right now and in the future if you find you need more tracks it is available.

• 1 month later...

For the mixer who works solo out of a bag, the nomad is smaller than the 788, and costs a little less but the x factor is sure which is better for the mixers that want to send a good two track or mono mix to camera whilst staying ahead of a production... I am used to sound devices but do like the price of the nomad.

Also i wondering how other mixers deal with the fact that you always have to bring a multi track recorder to set although the job doesnt require it...'and how that is reflected in the kit rental...

Thx .. I am definitely torn between the 788 and nomad but only due to price and size... Otherwise I would get a 788 in a heart beat. Being a SD user I would have less of a learning curve too.

Also i wondering how other mixers deal with the fact that you always have to bring a multi track recorder to set although the job doesnt require it...'and how that is reflected in the kit rental.

As technology is making these things smaller, lighter, and more powerful, it's going to be less of an issue what we "bring" to set and more about what buttons we allow to be used IMO.

Also i wondering how other mixers deal with the fact that you always have to bring a multi track recorder to set although the job doesnt require it...'and how that is reflected in the kit rental...

I'm finding I am using Nomad more for mixing and sending two tracks to camera than for multi tracks recently. Given that I still use Nomad as my primary mixer because it offers so much more than just mixing and recording. But when I use it for multi track I charge accordingly.

I like having both a mixer and a multi track in one small unit with me all the time so if I end up needing to do multi track it is one push of a button.

I'm finding I am using Nomad more for mixing and sending two tracks to camera than for multi tracks reciently. But when I use it for multi track I charge accordingly.

I like having both a mixer and a multi track in one small unit with me all the time so if I end up needing to do multi track it is one push of a button.

Good policy Jack. Just ordered a nomad as an upgrade to an fr2, and I suspect I will adapt that pricing policy.

In lieu of a 552, the 442 is a helluva mixer and companion to the 744t, although the cheapest I've seen them for used is about 1600 bucks. That and a 744 will cost almost as much as the Nomad 8. Food for thought.

I'd love to hear from people who have crossed over successfully from SD 552 to Nomad.

I love my 552 - the build is so simple and durable - I know I can trust it.

I worry about the two-handed cross-fade on the nomad, too.

I often have to quickly kill a L or R wireless channel on my mixer, and bring my boom up on both L & R - has anyone experienced the difference between doing this on a 552/442 and on a nomad?

I am on the verge of placing an order...

Thanks.

John

For the mixer who works solo out of a bag, the nomad is smaller than the 788, and costs a little less but the x factor is sure which is better for the mixers that want to send a good two track or mono mix to camera whilst staying ahead of a production... I am used to sound devices but do like the price of the nomad.

Thx .. I am definitely torn between the 788 and nomad but only due to price and size... Otherwise I would get a 788 in a heart beat. Being a SD user I would have less of a learning curve too.

I own Sound Devices 302, and 442, and I have a Nomad six. I've used a 552 a lot but don't own one. With as much experience as I've had with the SD mixers, I've had little experience with any of the SD recorders. This week I used a 788T with cl8 for the first time. Its a great machine and it got the job done but I have to say that I'm glad I got the Nomad. Of course It's like anything that you get familiar with, it gets better as you use it more, and this was the one and only time I'd used a 788t. Sound wise I think the Nomad has an edge. I could hear the limiters working a little the few times I hit them. Something I don't hear on the Nomad. In fairness it was a rented machine and I don't even know how they were set up. The main issue for me was price and the ability to upgrade. Another plus was the lighter weight and cooler operation.

Best,

Bernie

I just placed my order for the 552 today and am very excited :-) I've been doing more direct to camera tv type stuff and have been using my sd302 / 702t combo. The reason I'm buying it is to replace my 302 and not have to bring my 702t if I don't want too. I really like the 302/702t and plan on keeping both, but the big limitation for me was the difficulty sending to multiple cameras from the 302. The 552 will accomplish this and much more and will be a great addition to my set up and when the time comes for more iso channels I'm sure I'll revisit the Nomad. But if I had to choose right now I'd go with the 788-ssd / cl8 combo.