SD 744t/552 vs. Zaxcom Nomad

saadasound

IMHO Nomad is a better value for the money. But you have to wait to get one.

744t is way to expensive even second hand compared to NOMAD.

Also consider just buying 552 and recording a stereo mix if the jobs you are doing do not need ISO tracks.

I'm looking to upgrade my system. I've had a lot of cross suggestions about these two rigs, but I wanted to just start a new topic about it to see what feedback I get from people.

It's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

While they will both mix and record - you can't really compare them machine to machine.

The weight, physical footprint, and power consumption of a Nomad vs a 744/552 combo - Nomad wins.

The feature set of a Nomad vs 744/552 combo - Nomad had the edge.

The bottom line, and I know that I am biased, is Nomad will give you a better bang for your buck with a lot of additional bells and whistles.

people I know that have used the Nomad actually hate it

Hate it? Did they give any specific reasons why?

The bottom line is if you are going to be using this machine you need to decide on your own. Most dealers have demo units - perhaps you can contact your favorite dealer to take one for a test drive and see if Nomad is for you or not.

If you do reality - It might make sense to own a 788t. it seems most reality mixers I know use sound devices. Although I hope Nomad will put a foothold in the market as soon as it can pump out the machines.

The difference in weight and price of the Nomad vs 788t alone is a strong consideration imo - including vs a 744t/552 combo.

Glenn, can you guys post the manual for the Nomad on the Zaxcom support site? I'd like to check it out to familiarize myself with the product.

Good call. That would be awesome.

About anyone hating the Nomad... I've yet to encounter anyone here who has actually used one that hated it. Many discuss additional features and wish lists, likes, dislikes, growing pains and lots and lots of questions, but, of those who have one, I don't recall a single person saying they wish to return it.

On the other hand, I know a lot of people who dislike Martian food. All their names escape me at the moment.

I think that for all intensive purposes the Nomad wins in that particular comparison, but I do not see much reason in having a mixer and recorder in the same bag when most recorders these days are also very fine mixers. Personally, I have a 788T. But my jobs vary on so many levels, from features to reality, and anything in between. So I find my machine to be versatile enough to handle those situations. However, I do wish that it was lighter in weight, and could take up less room. On most jobs I refuse to boom and mix at the same time simply because of the bulky bag I have to wear, let alone the additional weight of all the wireless, batteries, and other things we need to keep on hand. So I take to the cart whenever possible.

If there were a Nomad that could accept 8 XLR (or TA3) analog ins instead of 6 I might be interested, but my old non Time Code recorder had six, and though that was usually more than enough, I find myself running nearly all 8 tracks a lot of the time! But my clients prefer to have the ISOs. If all your clients want is a mixdown track then I'd say go with a 552. You cant go wrong with Sound Devices, they make some solid products.

I think that for all intensive purposes the Nomad wins in that particular comparison, but I do not see much reason in having a mixer and recorder in the same bag when most recorders these days are also very fine mixers. Personally, I have a 788T. But my jobs vary on so many levels, from features to reality, and anything in between. So I find my machine to be versatile enough to handle those situations. However, I do wish that it was lighter in weight, and could take up less room. On most jobs I refuse to boom and mix at the same time simply because of the bulky bag I have to wear, let alone the additional weight of all the wireless, batteries, and other things we need to keep on hand. So I take to the cart whenever possible.

If there were a Nomad that could accept 8 XLR (or TA3) analog ins instead of 6 I might be interested, but my old non Time Code recorder had six, and though that was usually more than enough, I find myself running nearly all 8 tracks a lot of the time! But my clients prefer to have the ISOs. If all your clients want is a mixdown track then I'd say go with a 552. You cant go wrong with Sound Devices, they make some solid products.

The Nomad has 10 analog inputs. The camera returns can each be used as two additional inputs.

If you'll buy 788 you will defo need an extra 1000$ for cl-8. nomad really wins the price battle here, be it 6 or 8 channels.

I DLd nomad simulator and as an SD user I must say I didn't really get full grip of all the features it has, but Im sure when you really get to play with one + if you have the MANUAL(!) you dig it up really fast.

and even if you don't do ISO's now, they'll ask for it some day :)

The choice is clear cut for me, I already own Zaxcom wireless and camera hops, a Nomad will complete the equation leaving me with iso record at each mic, on my camera links and however many I buy in the Nomad itself. I would get it just so I can have a 6 channel mixer immediately! (Yes I know it is more than a 6 channel mixer) All I have to wait for is stock in Australia (nudge nudge Glenn)

I will keep my 442 for the rough and tumble of reality TV but I see Nomad as the finesse machine that will allow me to say yes to almost any request on a job

Chris

If you just need a stereo mix and 2tr (backup) recording, like for ENG, a 552 would be the better experience, although you wouldn't need a 744t then, and it seems silly to record on two separate devices, crazy in fact.

Silly and crazy? What about safety/redundancy? Or time code. Or...

I've owned various setups, including 442 and 744T combos. I settled on the 552 and 702T combo (with 302 backup/additional). This affords recording redundancy (with the added safety of being two separate devices), reliability (no mechanical HDDs), less RF pollution (based on my own testing), modular config (can use one or the other in different situations), etc.

This would be for conventional narrative, commercial, docs, etc. production sound. Obviously not reality TV.

Exactly - why not get a machine you can grow into instead of a machine you may grow out of.

Probably the smartest thing said here so far. In the studio world we say "Buy once, buy for life", I think the same thing can be said here too. It is worth spending the money on something that you will grown into and be able to continue using, as opposed to spending a lot of money on baby steps. It does cost you more in the long run, and not all of those baby steps will get a return when you try to sell them. Good gear costs money but will make you a lot more, and will have a better resale value in the end. Zaxcom is known for making excellent gear that is not only useful in the field, but has great resale value should you decide you need to move to a better machine, as does Sound Devices.

In my opinion, a 552 and a 744T may cost slightly less than a 788T+ CL-8, but you do get all the advantages that a 788 system has to offer, and it will take up roughly the same amount of space. A Nomad does offer a considerable amount for price and space, but I think it is worth thinking about what is important in your setup. As stated before, camera returns count as inputs, but not as ISO tracks, so I dont consider them as such unless you are using it as a mixer that you comp your tracks down to.

I guess the best thing to say is just to do your research, weigh out the options (understanding that your immediate needs may not always be what you actually need) and make your decision from there. Either way, Sound Devices and Zaxcom are both very fine choices, and I doubt you will have any regrets either way you go.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find if this was stated already, but can I get the 4 track Nomad and upgrade to the 6 track? The guys over at Gotham weren't sure. I was over there today for a few hours playing around with the Nomad. It really is an amazing machine. It'll take getting used to, but I'm definitely putting a deposit down for it soon. Supposedly it's been taking 10 weeks to deliver...

I am ordering flowers and Swedish massage for the Zaxcom factory. (:

I would love to get mine by the end of January...

I placed my order the first week of October and have yet to receive mine. Apparently there were two delays that pushed it at least 2 weeks later.

Perhaps it will ship this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mark O.

I couldn't find if this was stated already, but can I get the 4 track Nomad and upgrade to the 6 track?

Any version of Nomad can be upgraded. So a 4 can be upgraded all the way to a 12 if desired. The cost would be the cost difference between the units plus a service fee - I'm not sure what that fee is so you should contact Zaxcom directly.