Fisher Boom

Richard Ragon

Hi Senator,

" a long arm Fisher with an MKH805 (816) on it on a singer "

It's about rigging the boom properly and being a good boom operator!

In those days the radio mics could not handle the dynamics of a singer.

For Tom Jones and others we used Beyer M100's on thin "paged" mike cables.

I remember paging an M100 for Shirley Bassey (James Bond theme music singer)

she sang a song "Big Spender" with a male dancer either side on a live show.

It was like being on the end of a skipping rope and allowing her to move stage left and right.

Real television days!

mike

I bought one of the Fisher Booms that Warner Brothers were selling and then had it rebuilt at Fisher. We use it several times a week on my single camera show. Whenever my boom operator can roll it in, he's got a smile on his face. At this point our crew is used to it and we don't get the "Wow, what's that thing" anymore.

• 8 years later...

Quite by chance I came across your topics today,  as researching equipment for a charity here in Norfolk, UK,  for the Blind and Visually impaired.  Having had a career in Television as a Sound Engineer from 1966 with ABC TV, Thames TV and  latterly with Anglia TV, , Survival, the Natural History Unit, I now apply my Sound Experience in Sound Recording for this Talking Newspaper charity.

I trained on Mole Richardson Booms, at the Teddington Studios of ABC TV and Thames TV  -  the Pram type Mole to the 360 Degree type.  Circa 1973 I was given the task of equiping Thames TV at Teddington with Fisher Booms as a keen Boom operator. They were beautiful Booms to operate for Drama, shows such as Edward and Mrs Simpson, to Light Entertainment, The Benny Hill Show  -  I just loved the Fisher Boom  -  we all loved the Fisher Boom and have a few stories !  

Circa 1988 I was in LA and met JL. Fisher.  One day I made a visit to the CBS Studios, Farmers Market. During the course of my visit, there was a Fisher Boom in a Studio corridor. I asked if I could 'jump on' . Seeing that I was competent,  I was asked if I'd like to come in the following day to work on a Soap and operate a Fisher Boom. My reason to come to the States was to get married, however, my experience to operate a Fisher Boom in a CBS Studio was of an equal memory !

Eddie Elmhirst. Norfolk. UK.

• 1 year later...
On 12/7/2011 at 7:17 PM, Richard Ragon said:

In general, are all sitcom style shoots, done using a Fisher Boom(s)? I've got a possible sitcom style shoot, and I wondering if I should be looking into a Fisher or cover with wireless and booms?

Thanks

-Richard

Both Work well Together, if You can get By the Mind Set of  " All Old Stuff "  Fisher Boom Great People to Work With ! if you can find a Get it !   

On 6/29/2020 at 7:33 AM, Edmund Elmhirst said:

Quite by chance I came across your topics today,  as researching equipment for a charity here in Norfolk, UK,  for the Blind and Visually impaired.  Having had a career in Television as a Sound Engineer from 1966 with ABC TV, Thames TV and  latterly with Anglia TV, , Survival, the Natural History Unit, I now apply my Sound Experience in Sound Recording for this Talking Newspaper charity.

I trained on Mole Richardson Booms, at the Teddington Studios of ABC TV and Thames TV  -  the Pram type Mole to the 360 Degree type.  Circa 1973 I was given the task of equiping Thames TV at Teddington with Fisher Booms as a keen Boom operator. They were beautiful Booms to operate for Drama, shows such as Edward and Mrs Simpson, to Light Entertainment, The Benny Hill Show  -  I just loved the Fisher Boom  -  we all loved the Fisher Boom and have a few stories !  

Circa 1988 I was in LA and met JL. Fisher.  One day I made a visit to the CBS Studios, Farmers Market. During the course of my visit, there was a Fisher Boom in a Studio corridor. I asked if I could 'jump on' . Seeing that I was competent,  I was asked if I'd like to come in the following day to work on a Soap and operate a Fisher Boom. My reason to come to the States was to get married, however, my experience to operate a Fisher Boom in a CBS Studio was of an equal memory !

Eddie Elmhirst. Norfolk. UK.