sonosax mini R82?

cmassey

Menu is backwards. Needs a computer to access the files.

What do you mean by that?

They lowered the price a while ago. Sells now around 3.5k Euro. 64Gb-SSD a bit more. Still expensive, but the most portable/lightweight 8-track-recorder. They just announced a new firmware is in preparation.

What do (would) you guys use it for?

A 64gig SSD? That would be very nice. For the last few years I have been trying to keep my rig light and easy on the shoulder...had my SQNmini modified for four direct outs so the R82 seems the ideal recorder to go with. Have a potential job in the spring that would involve a lot of small airplane, rough terrain, away from civilization work for 8 weeks or so. Thus I am starting to consider options!!!

Interesting pricing differences depending where you are. Please Compare:

http://www.pro-sound...=&SortBy=&char=

and

http://www.musicstor...CVIDBREC-Page-2

788t vs. mini R82

in the US

5,995.00 vs. 4,926.00 USD

in the EU

7,099.00 vs. 4,019.00 Eur

Probably not only different exchange rates between USD, CHF and Eur and import taxes but also pricing policies to exporting distributors.

I heard rumours, that if you buy Sounddevices in the US and ship/tax it into the EU yourself, it is way cheaper than buying it from an EU distributor. However, US distibutors are discouraged by SD to sell and ship to the EU. Might also be the case for Sonosax... Rumors anyway.

I've talked to a Sound mixer with quite some reputation over here, who is using various Sonosax equipment. When I asked him about his bag rig (e.g. for car scenes, remote nature shots) he said: "What bag?" and pulled out the mini.

I'd rather compare the minir82 to a 744t that the 788t, the biggest difference is obviously weight and the handheld vs. bag concept. Other than that, the Sonosax unit has 4 more digital inputs (that are not commonly used in ultra mobile situations anyway, and the Sounddevices has pretty coloured led meters that works in the corner of the eye.

I've worked bagless with a Tascam DR100 taped to the boom once, which worked out more or less. I could operate transport while booming, but leveling was not possible (or neccessary). I wonder if this could be done with the Sonosax. Also, I wonder if the Aja ada4 makes sense with the minir82.

The ssd-version by the way exists. Sonosax does not advertise it, but distributors quote it in their price lists.

i used a beta version of the r82 some years ago. i quite liked it despite some teething problems - which were easy (in the end) for me to work round once i got some help with what to do with the field removable (ipod) drive. unlike the r4 which does NOT have a field removable drive.

A while ago I worked out it was cheaper to fly to the US personally and buy a 744T, rather than buy one in the UK (including taxes), prices are around £=$

The current exchange is 1$=£1.55.

I

By bringing a 744 into the UK, paying the 2% duty and 20% Vat you will save approximately £1000. Well worth doing if you are already in the US when you decide to buy but just flying out to pick a machine up is a no brainer from the word go. However you do it you must consider the harsh reality of something going wrong with the machine whilst its under warranty. The UK importers (Shure) will not repair it under warranty. You will have to send it back to Sound Devices for it to be fixed. (Been there, got the Tee shirt seen the video.)

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

• 9 months later...

However you do it you must consider the harsh reality of something going wrong with the machine whilst its under warranty. The UK importers (Shure) will not repair it under warranty. You will have to send it back to Sound Devices for it to be fixed. (Been there, got the Tee shirt seen the video.)

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Yes too true... but in some circumstances that is what Shure do anyway! My 788T requires a replacement FW800 port so I'll see what they say tomorrow. Annoyingly it is just out of warranty.

• 2 months later...

As a bump to this. Been having a closer look at this recorder and wondered if anyone is using it in a bag with an ENG mixer in front?

...same question. I'd really like to see in in operation, used with that remote they got.

Leave it at the bottom of the bag, use the remote, along with a small footprint mixer... could be an SQN-4S.

Eye candy for the week.

...same question. I'd really like to see in in operation, used with that remote they got.

Leave it at the bottom of the bag, use the remote, along with a small footprint mixer... could be an SQN-4S.

Eye candy for the week.

Unfortunately I think the remote only works with the SX-ST recorder option, although all Sonosax's recorders seem to be pretty similar, except in different boxes. That'd be really nice though. I ended up finding a second hand SX-R4 and I'm really liking it at the moment