Postproduction Category

David A-Ribeiro

Hello Jeff,

Could you consider having a "Postproduction" category?

I know another member suggested this a while ago, to which you replied that "Workflow" sort of served that purpose. I think both could actually exist because it is clear from reading through the topics in "Workflow" that there is a lot more discussion about production issues and themes that AFFECT post, rather than genuinely sound post issues and concerns.

I am aware other sites cover sound postproduction in a very thorough way ( Post forum of gearslutz, e.g.) but I have a feeling many JWSound members have, like myself, an interest and active work in both fields, which actually are part of one big field, cinema sound.

Maybe other members would like to voice their opinions on this?

Jeff, thank you again for creating and putting so much of your time and effort into this group.

David

It has certainly been under consideration, a post-production section, but some of the same thoughts apply here as I have expressed before. The original design of this site had very few sections, categories, sub-forums, whatever you want to call it, and gradually I added sections. The feeling was always that one of the things that helped make this site unique was that it was built with a minimum of constraints and categorization. Sections were added, often from suggestions from our members. This is a good thing, and one of the other reasons the sites works so well --- not only "member supported" but truly supported by the members regarding many of the things we do here.

Anyone interested in commenting on this, I am not opposed to doing it. We have had sections that are seriously under-utilized and it hasn't hurt us, so a new section might be a good idea --- we could just see how it goes.

Bottom line, I believe that the way most everyone uses this site, the categorization is really somewhat unnecessary and serves more to appearances of a well thought out and organized site. I believe that everyone just glances at all the new posts and then reads and replies to the ones that interest them.

I work in both all the time, but see the emphasis of this forum as being production sound and how it impacts post, rather than becoming a forum for the details of post that don't affect production (that kind of stuff gets covered pretty well on GS and the DUC already). I like the ""Workflow" category because it feels like a meeting ground between production and post, which is the concern of most of the people I see posting here (and is pretty unique).

phil p

I work in both all the time, but see the emphasis of this forum as being production sound and how it impacts post, rather than becoming a forum for the details of post that don't affect production (that kind of stuff gets covered pretty well on GS and the DUC already). I like the ""Workflow" category because it feels like a meeting ground between production and post, which is the concern of most of the people I see posting here (and is pretty unique).

phil p

+1

I would enjoy a post production category, especially if it means that I'd be able to talk post production to a lot of people who have actually been out in the field and know the whole workflow from Location Mic to Home Speaker

A "Post Production" category is still under consideration. Any conversation you wish to have with "people who have actually been out in the field" can certainly happen right now with the categories we have. Your mention of "workflow from Location Mic to Home Speaker" reads very much like my description of the existing Workflow category/section.