Shootout in downtown..

Richard Ragon

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movie cops in L.A. are great. There was a dispute a few years ago about whether retired or off-duty active cops should have an exclusive on that work. Both groups wanted the extra income but in the end, the active guys won out. Active or retired, it's always been very assuring to have those guys close by.

This shooting was not in "Downtown", but in Hollywood at Sunset and Vine...

One of the wounded was a The Hollywood Reporter Photo Editor (grazed, when a bullet went through his door and hit his leg, he was treated and released, though the Police impounded his car)), and a Recording Executive was hit in the jaw, remaining in critical condition at Cedars Sianai

I am a liberal, and anti-gun, but I fully support police when lethal force is justified.

I get mad when people say, "It was just a pellet gun!" or "It was just a replica!" or "Why did they have to shoot him 30 times?" If their lives appear threatened, be it a knife or a gun or the appearance of a gun in a threatening situation, lethal force is justified.

If one bullet is justifed, then the whole clip is justified. And if there's 2 officers, that's 30 bullets.

Police are put in harm's way every day. One random traffic stop of the wrong car could mean getting shot. They are there to protect us. They should be supported as such.

But poor judgement, like throwing a gas grenade into a crowd of unarmed protesters should NOT be tolerated.

Robert

I am a liberal, and anti-gun, but I fully support police when lethal force is justified.

I get mad when people say, "It was just a pellet gun!" or "It was just a replica!" or "Why did they have to shoot him 30 times?" If their lives appear threatened, be it a knife or a gun or the appearance of a gun in a threatening situation, lethal force is justified.

If one bullet is justifed, then the whole clip is justified. And if there's 2 officers, that's 30 bullets.

Police are put in harm's way every day. One random traffic stop of the wrong car could mean getting shot. They are there to protect us. They should be supported as such.

But poor judgement, like throwing a gas grenade into a crowd of unarmed protesters should NOT be tolerated.

Robert

I'm somewhat liberal and pro gun. Throwing a tear gas grenade into a crowd of unruly demonstrators to control them is justified. Because they are unarmed as in without firearms does not make them any less a threat to life, limb & property.

Eric

I was referring to the taped incident in which it was clear that a small group of people were coming to the aid of an injured man in an "occupy" protest. There were no threatening gestures of any kind. The people were not engaging the police at all. A grenade was lobbed just a few feet directly into the small group. Clearly an unjustified act. It was not a grenade sent from a distance with no specific target sent into a large and unruly crowd. Big difference.

Sometimes it happens the other way, as when Homicide was shooting in Baltimore in the '90's:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bs-arresting-performance-1022,0,559078.story

Best regards,

Jim

This cracks me up Jim, I was the boom op on Homicide at that time and I forgot about this "arrests". In true Homicide form, we just carried on like nothing ever happened moments later, Clark and Richard, what a pair.

Quote From Robert Sharman

Well, close.... I am Calif. born, a Liberal and extremely PRO GUN.... Concealed carry.... and I fully support shooting back at any ass--le who shoots at someone.... F--k the waiting for the police... are you kidding me... How many people could of been shot while they waited for a squad car... Lucky the "movie" cops were around.... chalk up one for film crews.... You could say a film crew saved lives...

If anyone remembers the L.A. riots when the LAPD was "waiting it out" in their compound while the Korean shopkeepers were standing on their roofs, guarding their OWN property.... and the rioters were having their way with the town, this whole gun thing came around loud and clear.... ONLY YOU can protect YOU..... That IS the truth.... both at home and in public...

Arm up and educate ones self on fire arm safety and training... 8)

Quote From Robert Sharman

Well, close.... I am Calif. born, a Liberal and extremely PRO GUN.... Concealed carry.... and I fully support shooting back at any ass--le who shoots at someone.... F--k the waiting for the police... are you kidding me... How many people could of been shot while they waited for a squad car... Lucky the "movie" cops were around.... chalk up one for film crews.... You could say a film crew saved lives...

If anyone remembers the L.A. riots when the LAPD was "waiting it out" in their compound while the Korean shopkeepers were standing on their roofs, guarding their OWN property.... and the rioters were having their way with the town, this whole gun thing came around loud and clear.... ONLY YOU can protect YOU..... That IS the truth.... both at home and in public...

Arm up and educate ones self on fire arm safety and training... 8)

No thanks. Where I live there is plenty of gunfire already without my help!

phil p

This one goes out to 'afewmoreyears'

This was taken from the Cops TV Wikipedia article, about film crews coming to the aid of police.

--

The camera crew that follows the officers are instructed to maintain a fly on the wall position[citation needed], not interfering or making their presence known on camera unless necessary for the safety of officers and civilians on scene. There have been multiple instances where the safety of the officers has necessitated their involvement, however.

In one episode, the sound mixer for the camera crew, a former EMT, assisted a police officer in performing CPR. In another episode in season 11 that took place in 1998 in Atlanta, COPS camera operator Si Davis, who was coincidentally a Las Vegas Reserve Police Officer, had to drop the camera and assist an Atlanta police officer in wrestling a suspect into custody. The APD officer, it turned out, had been severely injured during a foot pursuit; meanwhile, sound mixer Steve Kiger, picked up the camera and continued recording the action which eventually made air. Because the camera crew was dressed in tactical gear, no one noticed that it was the camera operator in front of the camera.

In another episode a rape suspect fled and outran the cops only to have the cameraman follow him the entire time until police caught up and subdued him.

In an episode of season 14 (2001–2002) during the arrest of a man after a car chase in Hillsborough County, Florida, the sound mixer held the sister of the man away from the deputy after she tried to intervene in the arrest of her brother. Also, during the first episode of Season 22, a Las Vegas officer was scuffling with a suspect high on PCP, who eventually tackled the officer and required the camera operator and Las Vegas paramedics to wrestle the suspect off of the officer.

---

-Richard

I'm neither for or against guns, but I do own them and know how to use them. I use to hunt and fish as a kid and young adult. I ate everything I ever shot or caught. I think knowing and respecting guns, rods n reels is like knowing and respecting any tool out there. It is in ones best interest to have that knowledge if you have and use them. I haven't shot my shotgun, rifle, or revolver in years. The last time I used them was when my youngest son had a major curiosity and desire to shoot a gun. We went to a gun range where I went through the safety rules and mechanics of the various guns. After about a half hour of shooting he had had his fill. He couldn't believe how loud they were even with ear protection. The mystery was gone and he has never wanted or ask to shoot again. While I doubt I will ever have to defend myself from the marauding herd of rioters or such, I do like knowing I have mine under lock n key in my vault safe and sound. As for our motion picture cops active or retired, I'm glad we have them. Most are good guys who I enjoy knowing. For the political record, I am neither a Liberal or Conservative. I'm a free thinker without a label or box.

CrewC

I hunt a great deal and really enjoy the whole thing...I agree with you Crew on the always ate everything I ever shot or caught... I also never use a stand, blind or like waiting at a watering tank... Not my thing... I also don't like the concept of trophy hunting...

i am hoping never to defend myself as well against any rioters, it was only the point to say that no matter the particular circumstance, I really believe that only you can protect you... that goes for not just firearms, but being aware of your surroundings , not placing yourself in situations where you may become a target, various martial arts and being able to just fight it out if need be. Whatever "defense" rocks your boat... For me, I like the thinking first to stay out of trouble, That's always the best defense I think.. then a firearm and last being able to fight it out.... I hope I will never be in that situation... but, I try to be prepared....

Find a good gun club one day when your bored and go shoot some sporting clays with that shotgun.... A great deal of fun... and nothing or nobody is any worse for the ware.... We have a GREAT place by my home... they have a 18 "hole" set up with all different "pairs" of launchers, letting fly two clays in various ways at each station.... just like golf... they even have carts for the shotguns and scorecards... No beers or cart gals though.... Maybe this summer... :mellow:

The Broadway... Nothing like a nicely functioning old gun... Over under... Love those.. I think that's a very nice and valuable gun Eric.... still a favorite of many... as good as any...

I am looking for a 16 Ga. right now.... 8) It's just want I need... I have a few 12s... nothing fancy .... but nice...

Funny, last Sunday we saw a few groups of guys with all the gear you could imagine and Bennellis... we totally out shot them with our utilitarian 12Ga's... We were amused.... ;D

Funny, some guns shoot things out and others drag stuff in..... Yours might not knock down too many clays Bob, unless you have a good arm...

Seems like that set was us on "Gangster Squad" as we were at Grauman's all last week.

I'll see what the skinny is as we also have Wayne Tidwell who is a search and rescue/reserve cop type as the 2nd video.

He hangs with the PD all day and may know more.

Scott Harber

I spent Saturday blasting clays with my wife, family and some friends. I too find myself in the center and also a vegetarian, but I've got a single shot 20g and 12g pump. They were passed to me from family members years ago. Since I don't hunt they are there for bad guys and skeet.

Here's a little video of our day.